Cats

Norfolkdan

Hi lads & lasses,

Going fishing for some cats soon, and was wondering if 2.5lb t/c rods are strong enough?

I'm going to use 15lb mainline, with 2oz lead, and 40lb braided hooklink to a size 5 hook.

Calamari Squid (pike don't eat squid do they?) and halibut pellets as hookbait, also maybe squid & octopus boilies.

Spod about 2kg of smaller halibut pellets to fish over.

Does that all sound ok?

Cheers for any help, Dan

Dan

Dan, 2 1/2 lb rod sounds about right to me should be able to mount a cat on one of those even in a strong wind, you can start in my garden if you wish, too many of the nasty little buggers.

Don't forget to have a peg part way down the rod so they don't slide down too far too fast.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Pike up my way are quite partial to squid, cheap too.

I was once told that the best way to learn how to play a fish was to go to a playing field, hook a cat, and stand on it tail. Plenty of side-strain should do the trick!

Rod sounds good. Line sounds good.

Hook could be quite a bit larger if you mean a #5 or quite a bit smaller if you mean a 5/0.

Catfish aren't the smartest fish in the water but the do have a large mouth. I'd hesitate to go below a #2 hook unless you are after small catfish of 2-3 lbs or less. You don't have the monster Wels in the UK so probably anything from #2 to 3/0 depending on the size bait you'll be using and the maximum size fish you expect.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Why all the off-colour stuff about cats? Why do people (who would claim to be animal lovers) think this is perfectly acceptable ?

Meself, I can`t stand eels, but if I were to post here encouraging cruelty towards them there`d be the inevitable ton o` bricks !

Very poor, chaps.

Pike and squid.I have only ever had pike take squid when it has been retrieved but know of several mates who have had static pick ups.Seems to vary from water to water.

The aproach you describe sounds fine to me Dan.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

teebee:

Why all the off-colour stuff about cats? Why do  people (who would claim to be animal lovers) think this is perfectly acceptable ?

Well I'm sick and tired of my neighbours cats crapping in my garden. I'm seriously thinking of putting my labrador in thier garden one evening and see how they feel when I "return the favour"

Mat

Mat

tis true teebee, make a comment about being cruel to a bass, a pike or a labrador and you'll get some stick!

seems cats and immigrants are fair game though