who,s the Best

cannibalspinners

Lots of the guys mentioned , I have never heard of , But i have watched your clips of them , I am impressed with

the quality anglers you have all taken the time to reply to this topic with

Ace Guys

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

All,

Our fishing is enough different I have a different viewpoint.

We send 200 bass boats out at the crack of a gun - same lake - same time. Week in and week out 80% of the fish come back to the same 5% of anglers. Kevin Van Dam is 7 time world champion (having won 5 in the 21st century). Not only does he have to out fish the best of the best - he has to out fish the "homies".\

The only thing they have FOR SURE is top gear - and LOTS of it (although execpt in top tournaments they fish with what they sell). The only thing different is everything is neat and tidy (someone else is doing the tidy part). I guess you could say they are pampered.

Tigger,

I do kinda believe it is some sort of rocket science or voodoo - and no, the very good regular guy cannot out fish the 5%. They can get lucky but - hey.

Now, when "pleasure fishing" it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE for the 5% to go alone. And - why wouldn't anyone to had a chance to fish with a Roland Martin take him to his "best water"?

Phone

Hi Phone

Just out of interest how many other nations enter the world championships?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Hi Phone

It's not that dissimilar to our 'world' coarse fishing championships which is really Europe with a handful of nations from outside Europe.

Sportsman,

Much like our "World Series" in baseball.

A few, couple Canadians and maybe a Mexican. It is not a single event but rather a season more like professional golf. My point is, every event has some expert "homies". The 5% always win. However I suspect you have a valid point.

I used to participate in fencing. If you thought you were "good" you needed to go 50 miles from home - if you were really good you needed to go 500 miles from home. Win there and you could go to Western Europe and get your arce kicked.

Mark,

On the subject of the thread do the "world coarse fishing championships" make Alan Scotthorn the best ever produced by England. I think he has/had 5 or 6 golds????

Phone

Sportsman,

Much like our "World Series" in baseball.

A few, couple Canadians and maybe a Mexican. It is not a single event but rather a season more like professional golf. My point is, every event has some expert "homies". The 5% always win. However I suspect you have a valid point.

I used to participate in fencing. If you thought you were "good" you needed to go 50 miles from home - if you were really good you needed to go 500 miles from home. Win there and you could go to Western Europe and get your arce kicked.

Mark,

On the subject of the thread do the "world coarse fishing championships" make Alan Scotthorne the best ever produced by England. I think he has/had 5 or 6 golds????

Phone

Phone,

In terms of our style match coarse fishing Alan Scotthorne is the best in terms of the big titles; 5 times world champion, also won the European Supercup, World Club Championship and many other big titles. In earlier eras anglers like Ivan Marks won more bigger matches but not at international level.

All,

Did Alan Scotthome not promote well? Did he have a physical handicap or character flaw or something? He looks to be an allright guy.

Phone

In English match circles he is highly respected; I saw him win the European Supercup in 1990 which was before he got an England cap and it was clear that he was destined for the top. That match was over 2 days with sections of 50, teams of 4, and he won his section both days, winning the match outright the first day. The field was invitation only of the best European match anglers with a very high standard, possibly higher than a world championship. He has had a number of major sponsorship deals, previously Shimano, now Drennan.

They're all crap, they only fish easy waters. Anyone could go and catch fish on the venues they fish.

there is a difference between going and having a bad day and blanking than going having a bad day then knowing how to change your set up to catch if that means different float smaller hooks, lighter line? who knows but they must have some sort of knowledge that we dont which is what makes them something special

i think matt hayes or bob nudd.

i mean bob nudd has to be somehting special to have won the fish o mania and other titles so many times against so many other great fishermen and women

I think we frequently have angler or three from Japan participate in addition to those Phone mentioned. At any rate, it is open to anyone from anywhere who can qualify.

Its much like the Bull Riding competitions. Most are US or Brazilian with usually a Canadian or three and an Aussie or three and occasionally a Mexican.

Generally, unless a country has the particular sport so that youngsters can get schooled by actually regularly doing whatever, its hard for them to compete successfully at a high level. Witness the Olympics and the Jamaican bobsled team.

I imagine an excellent UK angler if presented with a high speed, fully equiped bass boat, a good selection of lure rods & reels & lures, and told to fish for a single species (bass, crappie, or pike) anywhere on a 60,000 - 200,000 acre lake he'd never seen before would fare poorly just an a top US angler would if given a proper selection of bait & tackle (rods, reels, poles, groundbait, etc.) to fish a UK comp. In both cases, they would do very poorly due to not having a clue. A pegged carp tourney would be about the only place where both would stand a chance.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President