Fish I.D.

lutra

Feeder fished hemp and caster on the river this afternoon and caught a bit of everything. Anyway this little chap caught my eye as it was long and thin like a dace, but looked to me like a roach, but not more rounded like the other roach I caught.

post-10964-0-98895800-1378068691_thumb.jpg

post-10964-0-69231900-1378068738_thumb.jpg

If I'm counting right, I'm getting about 52 on the scale count? Thats a bit high for a roach isn't it ?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Could be a hybrid or Rudd ?

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

If I'm counting right, I'm getting about 52 on the scale count? Thats a bit high for a roach isn't it ?

Yes, roach usually 42 to 45, dace 45 to 55

that said, it does at first sight look like a thin roach, OTOH the scales look small and very silvery -- ie dace-like. The operculum is dace-like also.

Where's Latimeria ? :)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Feeder fished hemp and caster on the river this afternoon and caught a bit of everything. Anyway this little chap caught my eye as it was long and thin like a dace, but looked to me like a roach, but not more rounded like the other roach I caught.

attachicon.gifsilver 1.9.13.jpg

attachicon.gifsilver (2) 1.9.13.jpg

Just looks like a nice little dace to me Brian.

It's strange, up until the other roach/dace post, I hadn't seen or heard of these fish since I used to catch them from Bedale Beck quite a few years ago. Now they seem to be cropping up regularly.

I'd agree that this one looks like a dace, with the colouration of a roach. I wonder if we are seeing the start of more hybridisation among fish? Maybe due to the weird weather we've had over the last few years.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Here's a dace I caught recently....

ysf9.jpg

Yep and looks like a dace.

ps. Have you been cheating? Is that a lasso round its tail? :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep