Thoughts on buying a first Centre pin reel

Noel80

Just thought I'd share some thoughts and ask for help with a first centre pin.

Firstly, is it centre pin or centrepin? (not really important!)

What has struck me is the difference in quality and price between 'identical' reels. I've been into local tackle shops (I like to support them when I can) and feel even more confused.

One told me the Okuma Aventa Pro isn't available anymore.The other had in stock. One had the Okuma Sheffield. It felt and ran amazingly smooth but was £220... Ouch. I thought they were £150-ish. The other had a Sheffield. It said the RRP was £179 but they were selling it at £139. Great. But it felt awful compared to the one in the other shop! Not as smooth and made a quiet rubbing/grating noise when it spun............ Er, no thanks. The Aventa Pro (£120-ish I think) felt nothing like as good as the £220 Sheffield but about the same as the poor £139 Sheffield

I tried the cheapest one they had. Ikonix at £70 but it felt tinny and nothing like as 'good' as the £220 Sheffield. Fair enough....

The worst when I 'tried' was the Greys Beswick at £200. It just hardly spun at all. Utterly bizarre and confusing.

The best one I tried was the Okuma Raw 2. £150-ish I think. But I found it too ugly and 'modern' looking. Not what I'm after.

All this has made me even more determined to try them out in person before I buy. I know you can get cheaper online etc but I just don't know what is going to arrive. And I'm running out of tackle shops! All the shops have said they've had a lot of interest in them. They're definitely in fashion at the moment.

I'm tempted to just say "sod it" and get a Cortesi £40 one because frankly some of the £150+ I've tried just don't feel good enough. The quality between 'identical' reels feels so vast that I'm not surprised so many reviews differ so wildly on forums etc.

And I've never even used one before! All thoughts and advice much welcome thanks.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I have a Marco cortesi from dragon carp. Costs around 40 quid.

Stunning build quality for the money, spin the drum and it just keeps going. For your first pin its ideal. Some of dragons stuff is for the angler who may go once or twice a year and ideal for the beginner and some of their stuff is actually quite good.

I was brought up when pins were the norm ,the best ting i ever did was take a 2lb hammer to mine ,i would never in a million years buy another to actually use just as i wouldnt wear knee breeches unless i was paid to do so

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The Leeds centre pin is a very good entrance pin.I can sell you one (several sizes available) for £30

Dick. Did you see my pm re bite alarms ( sorry to hijack this thread)

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Noel80,

It's C E N T E R P I N

Phone

It's C E N T R E P I N in the UK where English was invented :bleh:

and CENTERPIN in the US (Where they spell things strangely LOL. )

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)