newbie looking for some advice please

nytrolic

Hello!

I'm looking to get into fishing again, the last time I went fishing was about 10 years ago and everything was setup for me!

Looking through all the shopping sites and forums I'm pretty confused as to what I actually need to buy for coarse fishing, all the different rods, reels and baits have lost me!

I used to fish with maggots, but now it seems like all these new confusing baits are available and I don't know what I need - I just want something I can stick on a hook and throw in the water, could anybody explain what all these ground baits, liquid baits, pellets and boiilies are all about please? :)

Now for rods, what rod would be best to start with? I'm not sure what the difference is between rods - I'm guessing I'll be needing a float rod? What are feeder rods?

Can I just use any reel? Also what weight line and size hooks should I be using? I've watched some videos on YouTube about setting them up, but it still seems pretty complex, how do I used a plummet to find the depth?

What are feeders and bombs?

What colour line should I use? Is there even a difference?

How easy is it to go from coarse fishing to carp fishing? Can I buy a setup now that will be good for corase fishing, then when I have more experience use the same gear with some minor changes to fish for carp?

Sorry for all the questions, any tips and informaion will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Hi and welcome to Angler's Net. Questions are no problem. It would help to know what general area you are from and what sort of waters you will be fishing.

Most of the fancy rigs can be fun if you like making fancy rigs but fish still love to eat maggots.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Go to your local tackle shop, try and pick a quiet time and they should talk for ever !! Tell them you’re not buying today but want advice as to what to buy in the near future. Get the info and if unsure check back here.

A bit of a Pandora's box asking all that. Some things you need to get clear first. In no particular order:- Where will you be fishing, what is your budget, what is/are your initial target species. You could get a plethora of advice from here, which may make you even more confused. If you get your mind clear first and then take robd's advice and go to a tackle shop. I can fish with normal float tackle on my local pond with a 10 ft to 13ft match rod. 4-6 lb line and land most of the fish from tiddler roach to 8lb carp. That is not a boast, just fact and I have been fishing over 60 years on and off. I use a small fixed spool reel and little crystal float that is shotted with 2bb shot. Bait varies from sweetcorn, luncheon meat and pellets. That's my method, no doubt many others (nudge nudge) will contribute. Good luck and welcome back to the fold

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Once we know a bit more detail mate we can give you better answers but the best advice i can give is keep it simple. There are loads of fancy rigs/baits/rods ect but for starters keep it simple because the simple stuff still works.

I would suggest just get yourself a decent float rod, a basic fixed spool reel with 6lb line, a few floats, hooks and shot and grab some maggots and sweetcorn and hit a local lake. fishing is a marathon not a sprint, dont try to learn everything at once because youll get sick of it. pick up bits along the way and learn new things slowly :)

Personal Bests:

Carp: 18 1/2Lbs

Barbel: 5Lbs

Chub: 3LBS

Roach: 3 1/2LBs

Bream: 8LBs

Tench: 4LBs

Dace: 1LB

Perch: 2lbs

Angel Shark: 45LBs

Thank you for the replies!

I live in Leeds, so will mostly be fishing there, I've found a place called Kippax Park Fishery, seems like a good place to start, 3 pools with different fish in each

At a complete guess, and just going off what I have read on various places, I'll be fishing for Perch, Bream, Roach, Bleak and Barbel ( I'm guessing these are just general coarse fish? )

My budget for a quality beginners setup is about £200-£250, depending on what the wife says!

I'll also try and find a local tackle shop (I don't know of any at the moment) and I'll ask for some advice there

Thanks again!

I did the same thing this year and started again. I found that I can catch fish exactly the same way I did 11 years ago. Match/float rod, match reel 4lb line, size 16 hook, maggots, sweetcorn, rod rests, net, mat, and a comfy chair and it seems to be a lot more fun now, perhaps thats my age tho.

You are right in terms for starting off with float gear for starting back , look for a match rod between 10ft to 12ft a reel that can fit around 100yards of 6lb line in my opinion I would recommend a rear drag model for you starting back into it. Depending on where you go fishing carp can still be caught on float gear but you need to be carful as you could end up breaking off ( snapping your line) if you play a fish too hard . For now don't worry about feeder rods or all the new bait a simple tub of maggots or worms dug out of your back yard and packet of hooks with a float should be enough to set you back on track. Hook sizes to start with I would recommend sizes 10 to 14 and a tub of mixed shot to set your float. Plummets are used to set your float depth ideally you want about 1cm to 1.5 cm of the float tip showing and the shot allows the float to settle. If you need any more advice send me a private message if you are able to and welcome back to fishing. Where are you from also ? As this site is helpful when it comes to looking where to fish

Edited by Adam247

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

A simple rod and reel with a float rig and a maggot on the hook will still catch plenty of fish and is as good a place to start as any.

With China doing what China does, basic but usable tackle is cheaper now than at any time so you should be able to pick up an outfit at a very reasonable price without buying junk.

You can worry about feeder fishing, modern baits, bite alarms and all the other nonsense later.

If it's specific recommendation’s you're after, an idea of what and where you intend to fish and a budget would help.

Oh, and welcome to AN.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.