I am going to shoot a fox tonight!

Dave H

Without a doubt there are keepers who think it acceptable to shoot birds of prey...locally, holkham keeper was taken to court for it amongst other offences.

But then you also have the supposedly do gooders who like to collect eggs and think my muntjac deserves not to be shot! Except of course mr muntjac eats the lower three foot of foliage and undergrowth in effect harming an entire Eco system.

Certainly on our estate buzzards, marsh harriers and sparrowhawks are thriving! And a lot if that has only occurred since my brother started actively keeping the area for the last 8 or so years.

There will always be extremes you can flag up...one way or the other

"Virtually extinct now in England due to the actions of gamekeepers on moorland estates".

Sorry, that's how I read it.

As for the witnesses, two anonymous observers from an anti shooting organisation and no evidence, Hmmm

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

"Virtually extinct now in England due to the actions of gamekeepers on moorland estates".

Sorry, that's how I read it.

They usually stick to poison, or just take/destroy the eggs - much easier than shooting - and much more deniable if done with some guile.

There are enough documented cases (including convictions) to know that poisoning is fairly commonplace, (although not necessarily with regard to Hen Harriers - the situation in the Bowland area is very complicated).

It's not just Hen Harriers either - Peregrine numbers in the Bowland area have dropped from about 17 pairs in 2009 to 4 pairs in 2013, only one of which successfully raised young.

Buzzards and Red Kites are almost routinely poisoned in some places.

Red Kites from a re-introduction scheme in Ireland have been found poisoned.

Plenty of depressing (for me) reading here:- http://raptorpolitics.org.uk/

is it shot yet?

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

The big country estates do rely on the shooting season to boost their finances. Gamekeepers are under huge pressure to produce good quality shoots. That means gathering up the pheasants the day before and herding them towards the shoot. Just one fox can scatter them for miles but now they have become super paranoid. They believe that a peregrine falcon can scatter their pheasants and so they usually poison them and too the goshawks. Neither will scatter pheasants certainly not a peregrine. Marsh harriers are poisoned and believe these Hobbies too...

There is a huge increase in BOP in this country apart from Goshawks. Sparrowhawks are running riot. Parakeets are now vermin and allowed to be shot due in the main to the fruit farms in Kent although not a BOP the pressure was so intense it was brought in...

As for the likes of ferreting i know of many. Many sell the rabbits to butchers as much as £2.50 a rabbit. But yes some deads do go to waste but so do many other animals hunted

I really don’t think that fisherman can argue the case against hunting. In fact they are just about one of the world’s worst. Sea anglers or most don’t throw their catches back and eat the catches themselves is that not far better than killing a carp or pike after returning it to the water

Is not fishing almost the ultimate in hunting purely for sport? It is said fish feel no pain but are you sure and is that not what we are discussing here it’s about hunting for the sake of it.

I am going to get shot down in flames here but i don’t care as i believe this and that is men like to kill if given the temptation and the legal right to do so. Many think not but i disbelieve that as again given the reasons above they would.

In the armed forces many don’t join to defend their homeland, many don’t give a crap. They want to shoot a man or animal in the head and enjoy it but what many forget is that others do too...

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

It comes down to primal instinct!

Man has forgotten he is an animal the same as any other on the planet! Because we have brains and technology we simply presume we have risen above the base instincts.....

It's not the case!

However I do believe it the responsibility of the hunter to ensure good practice in all factors of their chosen hunting. That means ensuring clean kills with as little suffering as possible, following laws and by laws, and generally presenting themselves in a positive a way as possible.

Sadly you never hear of a good sportsman or hunter....you only ever hear the horror stories!

There is a huge increase in BOP in this country apart from Goshawks.

It is said fish feel no pain but are you sure

men like to kill if given the temptation and the legal right to do so.

Birds of prey are recovering to the sort of numbers that were sustainable before we (man) almost wiped them out with DDT. Goshawks aren't doing too badly. Marsh Harriers may appear to be plentiful in some areas but in reality they are still rarer than Golden Eagles in the UK as a whole.

Yes, definitely.

I have no desire to kill anything, other than the occasional mosquito or similar critter, (and maybe a few gamekeepers, slowly).

Birds of prey are recovering to the sort of numbers that were sustainable before we (man) almost wiped them out with DDT. Goshawks aren't doing too badly. Marsh Harriers may appear to be plentiful in some areas but in reality they are still rarer than Golden Eagles in the UK as a whole.

Yes, definitely.

I have no desire to kill anything, other than the occasional mosquito or similar critter, (and maybe a few gamekeepers, slowly).

A mozzie only lives for a day and you cut it's life short!!....Shame on you :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

mosquito actually live for about a week...captive females have been known to last a month; I think.

:)

Male mosquitos live for about a week. Females can live for months. Females of some species from Alaska and Siberia can hibernate.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote