Chubbing

Anderoo

Unlucky Matthew, but at least you know where they are. That's the reason I've beefed up my gear now, the fights are short but dirty! I've now even done away with the hooklength, just 6lb sensor straight through to the hook.

I had another go today and had another one from the tricky stretch, a very nice fish of 5.03. The wind was a nightmare making everything very difficult, but the bite when it came was unmissable, in fact I nearly lost my rod!

I've fished into dark on every session so far this year, but at both stretches all the fish have come in the middle of the day between 12-3pm. After that it just dies off completely.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Had another go today as metioned wind was a nightmare ,Rusty came for a looksee and we decided to opt for the local; pub esp after shotgun pellets pepperd the back of my umbrella !!!! when Rusty spoke to the guy he said it`s alright don`t worry we wont shoot you....... beer was good banter was better but fishless again

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Had another go today as metioned wind was a nightmare ,Rusty came for a looksee and we decided to opt for the local; pub esp after shotgun pellets pepperd the back of my umbrella !!!! when Rusty spoke to the guy he said it`s alright don`t worry we wont shoot you....... beer was good banter was better but fishless again

Shame. But as you say there's always the pub. But fishing where there's shooting means you often get the odd bonus pheasant land in your swim. Happened to me a couple of times!

Unlucky Matthew, but at least you know where they are. That's the reason I've beefed up my gear now, the fights are short but dirty! I've now even done away with the hooklength, just 6lb sensor straight through to the hook.

I had another go today and had another one from the tricky stretch, a very nice fish of 5.03. The wind was a nightmare making everything very difficult, but the bite when it came was unmissable, in fact I nearly lost my rod!

I've fished into dark on every session so far this year, but at both stretches all the fish have come in the middle of the day between 12-3pm. After that it just dies off completely.

Yes Anderoo indeed I know where they are in the stretch - I am going back on Monday evening come what may. To be honest, I consider my gear to be relatively beefy - avon rod and 6lb line - and specifically selected for these bad boys. Last winter I had 4 fish in 2 evenings on this stretch and not one smaller than 5. I think I need to think rigs here because with my set up, the hook shouldn't pull if they are hooked correctly. I am using a 15" hooklink and contemplating either going very short or going longer. Or backwinding and not relying on the drag. M

I pay out loads of slack line and wait for quite some time for bites to develop. By the time I strike they almost always have the bait well back in the mouth (I need the disgorger for 99% of them). It means with strong enough gear you can hold them on a short line, hang on, and keep them out of trouble with no fear of hooks pulling or line breaking.

However these are unpressured fish - if they've been caught a few times and know they're being fished for, it's going to be more difficult.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I pay out loads of slack line and wait for quite some time for bites to develop. By the time I strike they almost always have the bait well back in the mouth (I need the disgorger for 99% of them). It means with strong enough gear you can hold them on a short line, hang on, and keep them out of trouble with no fear of hooks pulling or line breaking.

However these are unpressured fish - if they've been caught a few times and know they're being fished for, it's going to be more difficult.

Interesting - do you pay out the slack when you get the first indication? Or leave a bow to the tip from the off? Certainly I've been hitting the bite as soon as the tip goes - you have to on the other waters I fish where the chub are really canny - even for chub :-) These too are I think relatively unpressurised fish on this stretch - I can't think of a time I've been there and seen any other anglers - certainly not after the chub. There's the occasional match - thats all. Its not shoulder to shoulder like the barbel stretches of the river ;-)

Interesting - do you pay out the slack when you get the first indication? Or leave a bow to the tip from the off? Certainly I've been hitting the bite as soon as the tip goes - you have to on the other waters I fish where the chub are really canny - even for chub :-) These too are I think relatively unpressurised fish on this stretch - I can't think of a time I've been there and seen any other anglers - certainly not after the chub. There's the occasional match - thats all. Its not shoulder to shoulder like the barbel stretches of the river ;-)

I pay out lots of line when casting and use very little weight, so there's a big bow. I normally get a little pluck when a chub picks up the bait, then a pause of up to a minute, then some kind of indication as it moves off, either a pull round on the tip or a series of rattles.

Interestingly this only seems to work for the bigger fish. With the small ones I get sharp jabs and taps as they pick up and spit out the bait. If I do eventually manage to hit one (hard to do with all the slack line) it's a small fish nicked right in the lip. The big ones eventually give a very positive indication and are hooked well back in the mouth.

'Slack' isn't the right word really as the current takes up the slack line. But it means that when a fish moves off with the bait it's never pulling directly on the tip. The light weights help too, a decent chub will happily pull a couple of swan shot around without noticing.

Ps I forgot to say, 'striking' in this situation is more like winding down and giving it a pull when you feel the weight of the fish.

Hang on...that's my set up .....lol