All round fishing

stivestackle

Anyone else getting fed up with waters being dominated by carp fishermen? My local lake seems to be stuffed with other species and as the time bandits are boring the carp out I was thinking of targetting some of the prolific ( I think) roach and rudd stocks. Theres always plenty of fish topping and I quite fancy a bash at these, perhaps targetting the bigger rudd.

Anyone else been down this route? Its gotta be worth a go.

Click here to Visit St Ives Tackle 

apple-touch-icon.webp

It's quite funny actually. I have seen a shift in the last year or so. The new "cool" thing to be is an allrounder, afterall anyone can catch a carp and there aren't many uncaught fish anymore.

I see carp fishermen trying to catch other species often these days.

Commercial water perch seems to be a particular favourite. Although I expect this is an every year occurrence for the pike fishermen here?

Here in Victoria have avoided carp so far. Got a new Australian species Mountain Galaxias

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

It's quite funny actually. I have seen a shift in the last year or so. The new "cool" thing to be is an allrounder, afterall anyone can catch a carp and there aren't many uncaught fish anymore.

I see carp fishermen trying to catch other species often these days.

Commercial water perch seems to be a particular favourite. Although I expect this is an every year occurrence for the pike fishermen here?

So I'm finally cool - I knew playing the long game would pay off!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I will admit to having had a few carp this year on the pellet waggler (A method I fancied having a go at)and at the same time also caught several 1lb+ roach on 8mm pellets, have stalked a few with chum mixers, had a few on the Tench float gear and a few more on method feeders targetting Bream.

My carp rods and baitrunners have not had an outing this year, neither has the bivvy or bedchair.

Always classed my self as an allrounder, last week I fished a 1/8 ounce bomb with a light weight bomb rod for small Roach on a carp water one day and next night was out hurling a 7oz lead from the beach.

Yes its literally 'cool' to be an all rounder this time of year in the middle of the night sitting on a North sea storm beach trying for a Codling or two - bring on the sundridge sas suit! Not long until breaking the ice to have a dangle!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I did some carp fishing in the summer and enjoyed it, floater fishing for them at local lakes. I do consider myself as an all-rounder, and include carp in that. With the long cold spring and then the very hot summer, it was the obvious thing to do. I would have been tench fishing, but they were acting very weird this year and so I didn't bang my head against that wall!

I think the real benefit of being an all-rounder is that you can fish to the conditions, and pick the most suitable species. Last winter was all wrong for chub so, despite that being my first choice in winter, I fished for stillwater perch instead and had a great time. The chubbing conditions have been perfect so far this winter, but if that changes I'll very quickly jump ship and do something else :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Unfortunately I don't think being an armchair allrounder (which to my shame, is what I've become) carries the same cache.

I hav'nt seen a riverbank with a rod in my hand for possibly 2 years.

The beaches of Norfolk, Suffolk and Kent get a visit about 4 times a year.

There's usually a 2 week intensive and expensive series of Mediterranean blanks, once a year.

Those 10-15 go's a year must cost me thousands to replace the poorly maintained gear that's been lost due to lack of use.

I've got a fly rod sitting here in the corner of the room starring me out with its fancy cellophane covered cork handles.

I still spend hours on various angling forums spouting forth opinions on alsorts of things from Flounders to flooding, therefore I would consider myself a fairly complete armchair allrounder..

Edited by dant