intresting baits

thuramario

the other day i was on the cannal, and a young lad was fishing on cheese. CHEESE!!!!

i had no idea they ate anything, has anyone got any random baits that they have had supprising sucsess with?

the other day i was on the cannal, and a young lad was fishing on cheese. CHEESE!!!!

i had no idea they ate anything, has anyone got any random baits that they have had supprising sucsess with?

Cheese is a very old bait, i used to use it a lot on the Grand Union Canal 30 or 40 years ago, you can also grate it and mix it with flour to make a paste, trouble is Cheese is not cheap these days.

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

There are certain rivers that I won't fish unless I've got cheese or cheese paste with me.

Great bait for chub and barbel, and I've had good roach and dace on it too.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Cheese has always been a good bait. I sometimes use a cheese and breadpaste mix when targeting largish Roach; especially if it has been in and out of a freezer several times so that it starts to sweat (as the amino acids start to break down) it is then even more deadly.

Also when I used to fish on the Kennet for Chub in the colder months it used to be my job to knead the cheese/bread paste around a semi shredded raw onion while my mate drove to near Reading. the stronger the raw onion smell was the more chub we caught on it (as long as there were no lumps of onion left in the paste).

My eyes used to be red with tears by the time we got there.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Cheese is a very old bait,

Certainly is - been used for at least 500 years as a bait - mentioned as such in the very first printed book on angling. (The Treatyse of Fishinge with an Angle)

Some other 'unusual' baits which I use regularly include Black Pudding & Cockles - both excellent for tench....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

My eyes used to be red with tears by the time we got there.

The things we do to enjoy our fishing :D

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Hi i always found cheese a good coloured water bait for chub and barbel in the winter months. My favourite is danish blue i usually need it into some bread to make a paste. it has a strong smell and often you can take fish from a swim without any need for ground bait because it smells so strong fish will seek it out

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

I recently mentioned mentioned in another thread (Sea Trout) my late father who made up his own (hook) bait balls, he used bacon fat, cheese, fish paste and dog bisuits..and other stuff which I can't remember. He would bake and steam them for toughness, and had conseiderable succes. He caught Sea Trout on them, and this was before we had even heard of 'boilies'. They may have worked for other species too, however there were no coarse fish in the river he used them on, apart from Eels and they liked 'em too.

Years ago I turned up at a lake in France after a long train journey, eager to hve a go but with no proper bait I moulded a chunk of my friend's corned beef sandwich and quickly caught a 4 lb(ish) Jack Pike.

I used to fish a mixed trout/coarse fishery, some areas were 'fly only' and others bait/any method. To ensure a brace of trout to take home, I would take the boat into the bait area and put a sliver of fresh raw squid on a fly and flick it out, watching the end of the fly line as the squid laced fly sank. It worked almost every cast, rainbows love it. Great fun way to catch 'em and on that water it wasn't breaking the rules.

Most unusual, bait I have seen used was a surface fished live gosling with a treble attached to each foot tethered the a brightly painted 1 gallon container....and it worked! I have seen fish and frog livebaits similarly employed, with mulitiple set ups like that about the lake. When one started to be towed away by a Pike it was rowed after and the 'offending' predator whacked on the head. The dead Pike would be hung up at the boat landing like vermin on a keepers gibbet. The idea was to rid the water of Pike in order to improve the overall fishing. Of course it made no noticable difference to the Pike population. Shows how the times have changed though, I saw it in the late 60s.

Older readers will remember the late John Sidley who used to write in the Angling Times in the 70s, an Eel fanantic (and pal of Mick Brown apparently too), he would advocate 'loose feeding' Eel swims with dead hedgehogs and other road kill.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Most unusual, bait I have seen used was a surface fished live gosling with a treble attached to each foot tethered the a brightly painted 1 gallon container....and it worked!

Gosling? Thats a bit harsh :lol: , i don't think my local tackle shop sells them either. However, i have fished for pike with a whole fillet of rainbow trout bought from the supermarket, however the only thing i managed to catch was a ducks legs, it came witht his mate for a buffet and so i had to reel the bait in to try and get it away from the inpending hook up, but then the duck made a dash after it and got caught in the trebles. That was a bit unforeseen. The line snapped at the treble, the knott was obviously not that good and the duck swam with this trout following it, no doubt resembling a rather tasty 2 in 1 treat for any large pike in the vacinity. It was quite funny in a sick sort of way, as we sat there in the pouring rain and freezing conditions watching this duck swimming past every now and again having a peck at the snack it was carrying along with it. To make matters a whole lot worse for the duck, we'd drenched the trout in a halibut scented attractor, the thing smelt to high heaven :lol: , I hope the duck lived, although i will never know