Best Eating Fish?

Westie

Just out of interest...

Of the fish I am likely to catch around this neck of the woods

Cod - I love the flavour, seem very versatile in terms of recipes etc

Bass - flavour, for me, is overrated - pleasant, but very delicate

How do whiting and dab do in the taste test stakes? I'm guessing again very delicate?

Any simple recipes to make them shine? Or would I be better off eating my bait?

:D

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smoked haddock, IMO, if accompanied with creamy mash potatoes is unbeatable...

Ive also tried steamed plaice, also excelent. Cod-nah, bass-nah both not my thing. I dont eat much fish, but the two above make my mouth water. Im quite into trying exotics (although never sushi!!!)

Tight Lines

Shaun

why not sushi spurhound?

sushi and sashimi are the best way to serve good fresh fish, no sauces to hide behind etc etc, i had some raw cod recently that was awesome

Westie, I'd add dab to your list. I grill mine with a bit of salt and sometimes have a mayonnaise/ black pepper sauce. I liken dab to wild trout. I have eaten more whiting than I care to remember, think I've overdosed on them as I'm not that fussed about them now. Do like them smoked though.

Eel is nice too.

i had some raw cod recently that was awesome

jeepster....

you wouldn't eat your cod raw if you saw the worms that normally inhabit the ones i seem to catch, probably 90% of the inshore cod i catch have at least a couple of these parasites in them....

i don't keep a cod even if it has the slightest tinge of red on its skin, and as for those bright red kelp cod, more like bright red bags of worms :o yuk!!!!!!

anyway, my favourite is totally fresh haddock, breadcrumbed and shallow fried, also very keen on monkfish (anglerfish)

spurdog is nice too, it's my youngest's (10) favourite as it is a shark :lol:

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Love a nice piece of fresh cod or plaice, lightly fried in breadcrumbs, simple but lovely. My fav has to be the humble Haddock, smoked or unsmoked I simply love 'em!

Never been a fan of fresh cooked mackys, love the idea just don't like the taste, far prefer 'em peppered or smoked.

Mmmm, now if Tuna were a bit more common locally.......... :D

"Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Smoked haddock, IMO, if accompanied with creamy mash potatoes is unbeatable...

Ive also tried steamed plaice, also excelent. Cod-nah, bass-nah both not my thing. I dont eat much fish, but the two above make my mouth water. Im quite into trying exotics (although never sushi!!!)

If we're going down the smoked haddock line shaun a fresh Arbroath smokie will take some beating!!

Matt

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC