Kennet and Thames Flooding

arbocop

Just took the camera to see what things were like, the clothing warehouse is ok and still open. Road to Thatcham Station was shut though so I couldn't get to the Arrowhead.

The Lambourn had a fair bit of colour but I wouldn't say it was unfishable (provided you could get to it). I think it might recover if the rain relents, not sure about the Kennet though, with only three weeks to go it's got a lot of water to get rid of.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

The Kennet in Reading has gone down since last weekend, but has come up again this week and seems - according to the timeline - to have stabilised this afternoon. However, I am sure there are a few trees down in the river somewhere during the wind of the last few hours. That's only going to make things worse albeit locally.

Rusty's photos are astonishing. The Lambourn will drop out before March - weather permitting - but the Kennet will take a while. However, the lack of turbidity suggests that it willbe fish able soon, even if it hasn't dropped to somewhere near normal levels.

Trout recruitment will be limited this year, and coarse fish will too unless it changes soon. Many of the swims and features in the middle Kennet will have changed over the last few weeks, and it will be a very different river after all this. I do wonder of the bank is still containing the river downstream of Hambridge. There are a few sections where there is very little bank between the bank and the adjacent gravel pit lakes.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

The Kennet in Reading has gone down since last weekend, but has come up again this week and seems - according to the timeline - to have stabilised this afternoon. However, I am sure there are a few trees down in the river somewhere during the wind of the last few hours. That's only going to make things worse albeit locally.

Rusty's photos are astonishing. The Lambourn will drop out before March - weather permitting - but the Kennet will take a while. However, the lack of turbidity suggests that it willbe fish able soon, even if it hasn't dropped to somewhere near normal levels.

Trout recruitment will be limited this year, and coarse fish will too unless it changes soon. Many of the swims and features in the middle Kennet will have changed over the last few weeks, and it will be a very different river after all this. I do wonder of the bank is still containing the river downstream of Hambridge. There are a few sections where there is very little bank between the bank and the adjacent gravel pit lakes.

Mike

Judging by the post of the water coming through from the reed beds I would think pallets pool, bellwood, knotts and Collins are all connected to the kennet at the moment, all but pallets have fences between river and lake

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Rusty worrying pictures I drove over the lambourne but hard to see for sure the level today it don`t look though ,Went to the island to check on the boat and it`s dropped from this

IMG_0175_zps0ab77db8.jpg

to this

IMG_0185_zpsabd4a521.jpg

the fields for as far as you can see are un der water deep in places reckon a lot of this field is 3` under

IMG_0182_zps2183a57b.jpg

Army and fire engines arrived to pump out some houses backing onto the fields above whilst we were there poor sods .

This wide beam was left and pulled out it`s pins in the flow coming to rest against the bridge on the island with someone managing to get a front anchoir out to stop her getting pinned sideways ....luycky lucky owner .

IMG_0187_zpsc3ec0acd.jpg

saw 6 little egrets in the field by the car park as we left and this was acroos the river by the island....not the only one I am sure

IMG_0183_zps5a57857a.jpg

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

This wide beam was left and pulled out it`s pins in the flow coming to rest against the bridge on the island with someone managing to get a front anchoir out to stop her getting pinned sideways ....lucky lucky owner .

]

That might have damaged the bridge too. How will they get it away? Surely the anchor won't hold it. Had it been done by a passer-by or was the owner on it when it happened?

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

BlimeyX2 whereabouts was the road to the Station closed?

C.

Lower Way was closed where you turn off the A4 from the Newbury direction. The traffic coming out of Thatcham towards Newbury was solid so I assumed everyone was looking for another way to the station, I don't know the roads well enough to find other routes. Might pop out again on this lovely sunny day, haven't been to Speen Moors for a while, don't think I'll be using the A34 underpass entrance though;

DSCN1133_zpse0d15c83.jpg

Mike, the CSAS stretch of the Kennet at Hambridge has almost certainly merged with the adjacent lakes, this is one of NAA's waters which is right next to the river;

DSCN1127_zpsd2fbaec8.jpg

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Mike, the CSAS stretch of the Kennet at Hambridge has almost certainly merged with the adjacent lakes, this is one of NAA's waters which is right next to the river;

It has - in several places - flowing through the reedbeds adjacent to Lower Way - and then under the Railway at Dobsons to enter the Widmead complex - vid I put up earlier shows this!

Another clip - nicked from the NAA site - member took his light aircraft (!!) up on Monday and took this - flying downstream from Chamberhouse Farm toward Thatcham station. We've had over an inch more rain since then!

https://vimeo.com/86315934

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Mike, the CSAS stretch of the Kennet at Hambridge has almost certainly merged with the adjacent lakes, this is one of NAA's waters which is right next to the river;It has - in several places - flowing through the reedbeds adjacent to Lower Way - and then under the Railway at Dobsons to enter the Widmead complex - vid I put up earlier shows this!Another clip - nicked from the NAA site - member took his light aircraft (!!) up on Monday and took this - flying downstream from Chamberhouse Farm toward Thatcham station. We've had over an inch more rain since then!https://vimeo.com/86315934C.

I couldn't quite work out where the river is. I suppose that is the point.

I am not concerned too much with it going over the top, it's erosion of the bank that is most scary. In some places there is very little separation between the river and lakes.

Mike