So close and yet so far

Rusty

Four years ago today I ordered a Chris Lythe Scotton Long Trotter. I have phoned several times in the past to see how he was progressing but I thought the fourth anniversary would be a good time to ring again;

Me “ Hello Chris, just wondered how you’re getting on with my reel?”

Chris (positive tone) “Hi Chris, good news, yours is number two and I’m putting it together now”

Me (elated tone) “Wow that’s brilliant, so I should have it in a couple of weeks”

Chris (still positive) “Yes in a couple of months I’ll give you a call to let you know it’s ready”

Me (a little less elated) “A couple of months? Have all the parts come back from the anodisers yet?)

Chris (still positive) “Not yet, I’m just machining them now and I’ll send them off for anodising in a month or so”

Me (not elated at all) “Ah! So when you say you’re putting it together you mean you’re creating the parts to be put together later?”

Chris (a little less positive) “Yes, yours in the second half of a large batch I’m working on at the moment”

Me (a little deflated) “Would that be the large batch you were working on before Christmas, my reel was in the second half of that one?”

Chris (neutral tone) “Yes that’s the one”

Me (totally deflated) “Ok Chris that’s not a problem, do you think it’ll be ready about April time?”

Chris (still neutral) “Yes it should be, or maybe in time for the new season”

……….

It’s more amusing than annoying but I do wish it would arrive soon.

The good news is that Mr Barder is on schedule to meet his two year manufacturing time (I phoned him too).

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I find it amazing that people accept that kind of terrible customer service, to be honest.

Me too: perhaps if he wasn't on the phone explaining the delay umpteen times a day he might produce a bit more. :unsure::D

My granddad was a joiner, and a real craftsman. His work was perfect. When you eventually got it finished!

He didn't make little display cases for centrepins did he...? ;)

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Chris, that did have me LOL m8, I know that conversation very well, too freekin well ! It's gone over 4yrs since I orderd mine and in truth i've pretty much lost interest, that wait has literally killed any excitment or enthusiasm I had and right now I really don't give a monkeys.

Has it come yet?

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Does he make anything else? Surely, he can't make his entire living doing small batches of reels at that production speed - no matter what he charges.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."