RIVERS OR COMMERCIALS?

adsangling

now that we have so many commercial waters i think many anglers are neglecting our river fishing, especially the smaller species! all you seem to here about being caught on rivers in the recent years is big barbel, big chub and big bream. i jsut wondered how many of us there was that would still rather run a stick float downstream for roach than sit on a puddle and wait for a ten pound carp to hook itself!

now that we have so many commercial waters i think many anglers are neglecting our river fishing, especially the smaller species! all you seem to here about being caught on rivers in the recent years is big barbel, big chub and big bream. i jsut wondered how many of us there was that would still rather run a stick float downstream for roach than sit on a puddle and wait for a ten pound carp to hook itself!

If by 'commercial' you mean an overstocked stillwater, then it's a 'no brainer' as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to patronise these places, and would rather not fish at all than use them. I hate the places with a passion.

So, to answer your question, its a float on the river for me, although I do leger as well. I also like fishing stillwaters with a more 'natural' stock level, and a good variety of indigenous stillwater species.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

very true i prefer fishing natural lakes rather than a hole that is haasively overstocked and simply there for profit reasons! although i will admit the fishing the amazing rivers fishing on such as the trent is now now a thing of the past and yet again the specimen agler has taken over!

I love fishing small rivers and streams for most species like Roach, Dace, Perch Chub and Barbel and much prefer rivers and streams to catching pasties from commercials.

The only time I reluctantly fish a commercial is when our club team is fishing one in a match and I can't find an excuse to get out of it. LOL.

Keith (BoldBear)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I don't see it as an either/or between commercials and rivers, I haven't coarse fished a river since the 80s, come to think of it I have hardly coarse fished in British rivers at all. I don't go to commercials very much either, there are still lots of interesting 'non commercial ' still waters around.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

they are a lot of good waters around but recently our river stocks are being attacked by otters cormorants and other predators and are rapidly reducing small fish species! although i admit this doesn't apply to all rivers, i know the otters are making a massive difference in the Norfolk area and i my self have witness ever 15-20lb pike scattered on the bank with holes in there head were the otters have simply left them, I've also seen a few on rivers and lakes around Sheffield and the annoying thing is that fishery owners arent allowed to put a stop to it.

Best to stick to the commercials then...let the native wildlife eat the native wildlife... :hypocrite:

• Like 1

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Best to stick to the commercials then...let the native wildlife eat the native wildlife... :hypocrite:

Middle avon floods excepting, has got a brilliant stock of dace that for some reason the mass cormorant roach kill on the same river have ignored. apparently.

So if it's silver fish you want, there's your answer, while the cormorants where eating all of the roach, the dace just hid, amazing.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..