Two-Tone (again)

Pangolin

Dear Peter,

So, no chance of you purchasing those new buzzers, four over priced carp rods, bivy dome complete with indoor trapeze, six ton of boilees, camo bivy slippers, six berth bedchair, white van, 70 inch flat screen bivy tele, Arga bivy stove, stainless steel four rod scaffolding, boilee bait submarine, captain and crew, the whole worlds crop of tigernuts, tattoos of Kevin Nash, Cliff Fox and Rod Hutchinson on each buttock one disappearing in the middle of the two then?

No? Want to buy some creaking barbel gear instead then? I've got loads all guaranteed to drop to bits first time out. Ulra-cult I am.

Regards,

Lee.

PS. Posted this early as Peter will be in bed by now tucked up in his night shirt and bed cap. Bah humbug.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peterthefish Sorry for delay in replying had more PC problems.Re the true purpose of records,surely they are no reflection on angling skill but merely an indication as to the possible size that a species can be caught to?

mpbdnsu,I think you will find that the reason no one spoke to you (as a carp angler) was simpley due to the fact that for the past 20 or so years "most" or "a lot of" "Carp Anglers" would have simpley ignored anyone who talked to them!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

No, we shouldn't condemn the son for the sins of the father. But there is a gulf between those who carp and those who don't. Some of it goes back thirty years, some is more recent. I haven't justified my more recent comments but I am confident that I can. But most of that is in the past, what is done is done.

But being a carp angler is nothing special, it simply means being an angler, like everyone else at the waters edge. When this eventually sinks in I would guess that the angling world will be a better place for it!

What started off as a bit of harmless carp baiting has caused a bit of ill feeling. Perhaps we can put that side of it behind us now.

[ 18. July 2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Peter Waller:

No, we shouldn't condemn the son for the sins of the father. But there is a gulf between those who carp and those who don't. Some of it goes back thirty years, some is more recent. I haven't justified my more recent comments but I am confident that I can. But most of that is in the past, what is done is done.

But being a carp angler is nothing special, it simply means being an angler, like everyone else at the waters edge. When this eventually sinks in I would guess that the angling world will be a better place for it!

What started off as a bit of harmless carp baiting has caused a bit of ill feeling. Perhaps we can put that side of it behind us now.

Absolutely right Peter, being a carp angler is nothing special, so it does'nt therefore merit the sort of comments this particular branch of the sport receives!

Carp anglers call me a noddy, when I was a carp angler I wasn't called a noddy so when did I become one? and how? I am sure I didn't take an exam :)

Maybe that's why other anglers don't exactley have time for carpers, all tarred with the same brush seems to work both ways.

Mark

[ 18. July 2004, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: northern mark ]

Mark

Carp fishing and carp anglers has brought some great tackle onto the market. It's also brought some silly stuff (bivvy slippers, etc) but the good stuff outweighs the bad by a long way.

It's also brought about a better understanding of baits and nutrition, although it's also spawned a generation of young anglers who think that you have use boilies to catch anything.

The only bad thing about the carp obsession, from the all-rounder's POV, is that too many good all-round fisheries have been sacrificed at the altar of the carp (and that includes lakes that have been overstocked with small carp for match anglers and ****-poor pleasure anglers who think they're heroes by bagging up on fish it is virtually impossible not to catch). Still, I'm sure the big carp boys laugh at them, too.

But don't take the big carp angler baiting too seriously. Like Peter, I find it all a bit of fun. We love you really - and angling would be poorer without you. Well, some of you.

Fenboy

northern mark:

Carp anglers call me a noddy, when I was a carp angler I wasn't called a noddy so when did I become one? and how? I am sure I didn't take an exam :)

Maybe that's why other anglers don't exactley have time for carpers, all tarred with the same brush seems to work both ways.

Mark

I'm not sure of the origin of the term 'noddy'? Perhaps someone can enlighten us?

We use the term now and then - I use it myself. But we call each other it! When we make a mistake or something. Say, forget to turn the buzzer down when making adjustment to the bobbin, or something like. Its a way of taking the pi$$. No harm in that and no malice intended.

I and friends have used it occasionally in reference to an angler who has for example one rod set up for carp (just in case) but is basically float fishing. Nothing wrong with that in itself - I do it myself in fact. But one then notices no unhooking mat, a rod thats not really up to the job, and even worse one gets to see the rigs they are using - some people have no idea on rigs, and basically set up death/tether rigs. Yeah, they deserve the name noddy, don't you agree?

fenboy:

Carp fishing and carp anglers has brought some great tackle onto the market. It's also brought some silly stuff (bivvy slippers, etc)

Can we just hold on a minute, here!

Some years ago, after too many wet feet and ignored trainers, boots, wellies and various cut-down speed-fit shoes - can't stop when the buzzer's yodelling - I asked the AN collective for their advice on nocturnal angling footwear.

I wanted something that was comfortable to wear in the sleeping bag, easy to clean after going out to hit a run, and more waterproof than my socks.

Guess what's been the perfect solution for over 3 years now? Oh yes. You see, bivvy slippers aren't for wearing in the bivvy, they're for wearing in the sleeping bag then going outside to deal with fish. A wipe with a towel before re-kipping and by a miracle of carping technology, no mud in yer bag, see?

I got 'em, I wears 'em and I luvs 'em.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Spot on Terry, just another example of "putting his foot in it without understanding what he is talking about"

And just to enlighten the ignorant a bit more....the latest footwear is thermal lace up boots with the laces undone, stood by the door so they can be slipped on and off as the angler enters or leaves the bivvie.....keeps it all nice and clean.

Re "noddies" I used to fish with a couple of guys who used that expression, and also "numb nut" when describing the antics of almost every other angler. Mind you, one was, and probably still is, the best allround angler I have fished with. The other was, and probably still is, a superb match angler and not to bad at carping either :D

Having sat beside these two and heard the contemptuous way they commented on others made me very aware of the differences in attitude they had...........one was a real sad case and used the insults to cover up his own failings (as a person)

The other was a very successful business man and generally treated almost everyone with contempt.

So you see that calling other anglers "noddies" is not always because of their angling ability or chosed method.

My nickname came about because of a couple of fat saddo's who were terrified that I would catch more carp on a pole than they could on conventional tackle....actually...I probably did just that :D:D

Make of this post what you will...but, think on this....why would any angler feel the need to denigrate others? Who has the real problem?????????

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic