Best Fish, Or Trip This Year?

Gillies

With the year coming an end, as usual just wondering what your best fish was this year, or your most memorable trip was?

I didnt have many big fish of note this year - most enjoyable trip was one where I got three new species in a matter of minutes with a Cuckoo Ray, Turbot and Tub Gurnard .... and catching Spotted Rays two at a time.

Also did a lot of shore fishing this year, and had some great catches of Thornbacks and lots of other species, looking forward to next year.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the year coming an end, as usual just wondering what your best fish was this year, or your most memorable trip was?

I didnt have many big fish of note this year - most enjoyable trip was one where I got three new species in a matter of minutes with a Cuckoo Ray, Turbot and Tub Gurnard .... and catching Spotted Rays two at a time.

Also did a lot of shore fishing this year, and had some great catches of Thornbacks and lots of other species, looking forward to next year.

Gillies

Had some decent fish from areas that have previously been pretty rubbish. A 2lb Plaice from a venue that where fish are distributed very thinly, a 10lb Conger only a few yards from shore in a few feet of water. Its been a decent year in terms of volume, only one or two fish that I would class as specimens though.

Edited by flattiefanatic

flattie

Hiya, Well,this year, only had the one real Skate trip, and got a new PB..... :D , Had a great trip to Weymouth,had 5 new species....had another trip to Lymington ,had a great time,had a trip to Scrabster,,,was'nt too bad, company could have been better tho'.... :rolleyes: all in all, a very good year, and they were all sooperb. Sorry I cant pick out one as the best, they were all that good. Hopefully will do even better next year.... :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Not a bad year, wanted a blonde ray, gar and black bream and...

Got Blonde ray 14 lbs

Gar ca. 1.5 lb

bream 2.5 lbs

hhhmmmm 2006, Got to think a bit :)

Edited by n4lly
1509tarpon_75_.gif

Had a very good year, lots of pb's 5 new species to add to the list, best fish being a 180lb Skate, 65LB Conger, 11lb Ling, 9lb Pollock, new species this year, 8lb Thornback Ray, 3lb Black Bream, 1.9oz Bass, 12 oz Turbot, and a Poor Cod of about 8 oz.

all in all a prety good year for me, meet some great guys up at the LA meet ( and girls) looking forward to next years meets.

A pretty disappointing year for me.

The spring run of Codling were small fish, so I didn't bother after the first trip.

Had some good thornbacks with quite a few doubles, which was nice.

The weather didn't cooperate with my days off, so I couldn't get out after the Smoothounds and Tope this year, which was a bummer.

Most of my year is spent fishing for Bass and, in my neck of the woods, it was one of the worst years I can remember for big fish. Plenty of small ones, and I had some good fun with the fly rod, but the bigger fish never materialised for me this year. The one good Bass hooked on my boat this year was stolen on the surface by a seal! That just about sums up my year :(

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Never fished so little as this year, what with being busy at work and crap weather preventing us from going out on the boat nearly as much as we'd have liked.

However results have been great, an 8,8, two doubles and one a pb at 11,8. Unfortunately these fish weren't caught on home turf but were caught on our own boat, on our own marks.

Next year I will be night bassing in kent off of the zodiac for much of my fishing due to dismal success in essex waters over the past couple of years. I feel the terrain will better suit our technique and on the whole the fish tend to run much larger inshore.

Stingray will also be high on the list for next year, a bit of boat and a bit of shore for some variety.

Oh yes, and a go for porbeagle off the inflatable................you think I'm joking ;)

Fishing in Luce Bay with Manxman. Catching a 3lb bass on a popper and watching her swim away was lush. :)

Losing a brute on the popper during lads week (Was fishing with Gannet at the time) Never seen a bass displace water chasing the popper before. It was scary :o The water bulged up behind the lure :(

Another highlight was showing Tack4,littletack4 and misstack4 to tie flies.Love the wains Andrew

Another highlight of the year was catching pollack at West Tarbet when the rest could not - No Andrew twas not with you on this one. These guys had been fishing all day with nothing to show.A Snatcher sandeel brought them out. It was high water so basically jigging straight down :)

Every drop a take :):)

Not quite my final report for the year though.Santa has got me a MFA fishing headlamp so hopefully mak put up a cod report before year end

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Lots of highlights this year;

A week in Alderney on Electric Blue with RobT with a few new species to the anglers on the boat (and a huge Turbot lost by Paul at the side of the boat). Crossed a mirror calm Channel, on a blazing hot day, up on the flying bridge with a hat, bottle of water, magazine and sun cream - bliss. Crossing back was the same.

Couple of trips to LA, Skate fishing with Davy Holt, ending up with 183lb female in August.

Excellent day after Tope and Smoothounds, organised by NormB out of Langstone in May.

A few trips aboard Electric Blue out of Lymington - always a pleasure to fish with RobT.

A days doggie bashing out of Watchet with Paul (Spasor), Ken Davidson, Cliff(Fudd) and his mate - most relaxed days fishing I'd had for a while.

Half a day aboard Southern Star from Lymington (day cut short due to weather), where Norrie, PetertheFisherman and Ferret got their first Smoothounds, and Ferret lost his breakfast in the biggest way possible. Norrie and Peter also got their first Black Bream.

Paul's first Stingray the following day.

Linking up with Dave (Vagabond) and Norma a few times which is always informative and a great pleasure.

Norma's 12lb Bass, off the Needles on the way back from Alderney and Dave's 13lb a couple of weeks later from the same mark. Paul (Spasor) got a 10lber on the same day.

A week organised by Paul, fishing with Norrie, Davy and Peter on Flamer III out of Weymouth. Davy won the species hunt, but the crack was outstanding.

List goes on - all in all a fine year. Hope 2006 is as good or better.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

I don't think i can distinguish between any of the main trips i have had this year, they were all good :D

In january i was nearly sick on the boat but wasn't so i am dead chuffed with myself for that, in march i stayed on the boat all day without even feeling ill :D in august (i think) i got my best ever cod so far of 10lb in august again i got new species of spurry and best of 7.5lb and end aug/beginning of sept we went to LA and i saw a skate being brought up and also semi caught another new species of a thorny at about 7lb :D

all of these trips led me to meet some great people and i want to do it again in 2006 :D