New Chat Room!

Fastd

What I am saying is there is no justifcation for limiting the chat to paying members .. it should be open for all

there is no justifcation for limiting the chat to paying members

There is a very good and very pragmatic reason. With no vested interest in the chat room (sign up any number of times for AN using any of the free email accounts) we'd quickly be over-run with the sort of idiots who enjoy trashing forums. If you have to pay for each account you want to use in the chat room, the money acts as a sort of self-moderating factor. Not perfect but much better than the chaos we'd see otherwise.

it should be open for all

Says who? As far as I can see, the only person with a right to decide that is the site owner. Others can simply 'vote with their feet' and pay/join or stay away as they prefer since that decision is their right.

OTOH, you should feel perfectly free to start a chat room that is free and open to all. You can even put a link to it in your signature so that Elton can help you advertise it at no cost to you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi newt,

The chat is not open to all..it is open to registered forum members who have been approved to post here.

You have the most stringent checks on who is logging in I have evr seen. Recently you have banned people and then subsequently banned thier attempts to log back in by ip checks. It makes a mockery of the statement about people logging in using multiple emails. They all have to log in here first.

The major advantage of a java based chat room is it can only be used via this site log in . That shoud be security enough as the admins only let in those they approve as members on the forums. Are you saying that the AN log in process is so flawed that people could log in again and again after been banned ? ;)

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

judy .

I have asked the same about the anglers net members area and am not prepared to post the reply I got.

ant.

Are there naked aldies there?...who knows! ;)

Newt,

I would only start a chat room if asked by the forum owner and under no other circumstances. I said this would be controversial but I do look forward to Eltons comments. All I was trying to say is the forum was descriminating against new and potential members by limiting access to what could become a very active area of the forum as i am a great believer in live chat as oposed to forum discussions.

I do look forward to Eltons comments on this hread and perhaps in the mean time should pay my 2 quid and find out what the chat is all about;)

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Newt,

You may like to consider this quote which when It all boils down is the reason for my original post.

If you take a look in your 'My Controls' section, you'll see that I have (hopefully!) added three further subscription levels.

THERE IS NO NEED TO SUBSCRIBE TO ONE OF THESE IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE FROM THE FORUMS, GALLERY AND BLOG SYSTEM.

The subscription levels were added for those who want more storage and, also, for those who have said in the past that I should set up a system whereby they can contribute to the costs here.

So, there you have it. Take a look and see if it's worth it. If not, don't worry and just carry on as normal. I see every one who subscribes as a bonus, rather than the other way around :)

Elton

Cant quite remeber where I saw that ... ;)

dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Guest Brumagem Phil

Tricky one this.........I can see Eltons angle, but also see fastd's point of view.

Perhaps a subscription for all users would be better?

Mind you, I'm happy as all the juicy stuff like articles is all free........the chat room itself doesnt really interest me (I spend too much time online as it is!!!).

Bottom line is its eltons baby and if thats how he wants it then thats how we have it.