Hooking yourself !!!

Snatcher

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my Dad took my nephew fishing to Alnmouth. He was walking along the opposite bank and found a 6 oz leadweight with a bit of nylon attached. he hurled it as hard as he could across the river for my nephew to pick up. Unfortunately, there was a 3/0 hook attached to the nylon....the lead got about 3 feet then the hook embedded itself in my Dad's thumb! (I'm sure I heard a loud wince from all you guys & gals out there!) An afternoon at the hospital followed and then he had to drive 30 miles home. Gawd, imagine the pain.

On a lighter note, that 10 year old nephew found a live mortar bomb in the sand dunes near there. The BD men arrived from Catterick , put some plastic on it and let the young lad push the plunger to blow it up! He was dead chuffed. :)

Never actually hooked myself (sorry to disappoint you all :rolleyes: ) but came very close to it once....

Some years ago I was doing some fluff-chuckin' at a local lake. I was facing the sun so decided to wear shades on this day. I had only been fishing for about 30 minutes when a breeze caught the line on the cast and whipped it around my head until I saw, briefly, the fly on my sunglasses until the weight of the line whipped if away. I took the glasses off and found a deep scratch from the hook on one lens! I daren't think what would have happened if I wasn't wearing them. Needless to say, I always wear a large pair of shades now when fly-fishing :rolleyes:

Tight lines

[ 18. August 2005, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

We are only human!!! look at the thread turn/look/think/check/before you cast

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

When I was about 8 I was sorting my course fishing tackle box out & got a size 18 in my fingure. My Dad said he would pull it out, but I wouldnt let him. So off to the docters we went, he gave me an injection that hurt more than the ruddy hook.

A few years later while night fishing I got a carp hook in my ear, I went staight home and asked me Dad to get it out, he numbed my ear with lighter gas and pulled the hook out, I returned to the lake.

Many years later, I had a rod that I had built from a blank, the reel was held on by two jewbalee clips.After poaching a local skying complex for carp I hooked my hook through a hole in the jewbalee clip, then while jumping over a fence the hook when into my hand, so I was not only hooked but attatched to the rod to. A friend cut the hook at the eye and I whent to the quacks again. The DR said no worries I have a method to get hooks out, you take a bit of line loop it rond the hook, push the hook down and pull the line so the hook is being pulled the way it went in. This would of worked a dream but the hook was an offset so it took him three goes. ouch

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Back in the 70s my Dad had a angler on his boat get two of the hook from a treble in his head. He was spinning for bass with a toby.

My Dad cut away the toby and the sarounding hair, leaving just two small bits of hook petrooding from his head, my Dad then said Im going to count to 3 then pull the first one out. On 2 he pulled the first hook out, the second hook took a bit more time as the other anglers on the boat joined in the count, the second hook was finaly pulled out as a count of 56.poor guy

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Sorry sand Tiger I didnt see your post, the diagram that you have posted is the method my docter used, its a good method.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

So what next then,a thread on gaff injuries

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy