Hooking yourself !!!

Snatcher

Got in from a late summer lure session, kicked of my wellies (the socks came off with them) and carried the kit through the house. Unknown to me, I'd dropped a lure on the carpet comming in. Fortunatly, I missed it as I walked back to close the door but bang ! I got it on the way back to the kitchen. The treble had gone in through my big toe and had stopped with the point just visible through my toenail. There had been been enough energy in my kick to embed the other points of the lure into the carpet so I was stuck.

There I was, nailed to the floor with nobody else in the house and no tools at all within reach to get myself out - great fun - and it really gets those thinking juices working !.

The only thing within reach was the cupboard under the stairs. I already knew this was empty but I decided to look anyway. Litterally the only thing in there was an old scrapper blade that has been left lying flat on top of the door frame and fortunatly, this was sharp enough to cut the lure free from the carpet. It was then a simple case of hobbleing over to my lure bag and cutting the trebble that was in me off of the main lure so I didn't get impailed on a second point.

I then discovered that human flesh just isn't like fish flesh because despite using a LOT of force, the barb wasn't going to come out the way it went in. I ended up cutting off the two spare points, grabbling hold of the shank and pushing the point right through my toenail. I then cut the point off behind the barb and pulled the whole thing back out. This is not a proceedure that I'd recommend but it's definatly preferable to some of the horror stories that I've heared about in hospitals.

[ 16. August 2005, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Ken L ]

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger

My mates brother took his girlfriend out to the local lake where i used to live (Scotchmans flash Wigan) , he was spinning for pike.

As he cast out he hooked his girlfriend straight in her eyeball with a treble hook ,needless to say she lost her eye.Makes my toes curl everytime i think about it ,(terrible), but i suppose if your not concentrating it`s easily done.

Allways be aware where the hook is when you are watching someone fishin.

Tigger.

well me hooked a couple of jet skiers.

myself twice in the hand due to my m8 letting go of his line to quick after a tangle.

1 in the chheek as i swung a cod aboard now that sore . hospital thought it was funny the lug was still on it

Done it last year while Pike fishing on Loch Awe.

My mate had a small jack on and brought it to the side of the boat, I leaned over grabbed the trace to pick the fish from the water, the Pike had other ideas though. It gave one almighty shake of the head, the rod compressed and out popped the hook, as the rod was compressed the Crystal Minnow went straight up and yes into my finger on the first joint by the nail. Right into the bone over the barb . Trip to Oban A and E to get the bugger out. :rolleyes:

I could continue but might get carried away and end up writing a full length saga. :D:D

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

Some real horror stories there chaps the thing is no matter how careful you are accidents will happen.

Should we all go barbless perhaps?

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

One of my friends cut his hand really badly just after he had anchored his boat in his favourite skate mark after driving for hours to get there. He phoned for medical advice -"How many hours can I leave this without stitches and not do lasting harm?? ". The answer allowed him to stay and catch several skate. Now that is dedication !!

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

When ever I fish now I use a pair of pliers and flatten off the barbs, mostly for the fishes protection, my catch rate hasnt dropped and they are much easier to get out! you just need to make sure you keep tension on the line, as you should do anyway.

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Posted Image

Here’s what to do!

WHEN PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL HELP IS CLOSE BY

Support the casualties’ hand and cut the fishing line close to the hook.

Build up pads of gauze over and around the wound to fully protect it, now bandage over it lightly with minimal pressure to avoid working the hook in deeper.

Seek medical attention immediately.

WHEN MEDICAL HELP IS UNAVAILABLE AND THE BARB HAS FULLY ENTERED

Loop a piece of fishing line around the curve of the hook.

Pressure the eye of the hook down on to the finger to give the barb a more vertical angle. If the eye of the hook extends beyond the finger, pad under the hook shank to get more leverage when pressure is applied to the eye.

Pull sharply on the line around the hook to withdraw the barb and point.

Fully clean and dress the wound with antiseptic cream.

It’s worth checking that your Tetanus immunity is up-to-date as soon as possible.

IF THE BARB IS VISIBLE AND HAS EXITED THE WOUND

Cut the hook point off below the barb while supporting the casualties hand.

Withdraw the hook by gently pulling it backwards from the wound.

Clean and dress the wound using antiseptic cream.

Ensure that you tetanus immunity is up-to-date.

Happy first aiding :D