20% Cut In Cod Quota Only 12days A Month

big_cod

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Dave

Are you suggesting that the EU are only picking on the British fleet. Are they proposing to take 20% of the brits and give it to the others?

They don't need to give it to others, the Dutch and Belguim's are sitting pretty with most of the Dover sole and Plaice quota, the Danes have some how swapped thier cod quota for sole quota Norway looks after it's own, the French seem to do what ever they want and the Spanish are just bideing thier time untill they can get into the North sea, they are probably waiting for the Uk boats to pack up, they will be allowed to buy the quota and the track records, game over, and it is a game to the polictitions.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest Feels like Winter to me

I wouldnt pay any attention what so ever to Brussels. One vito and the whole thing is out of the WIndow. Just look at what has been proposed over the last 5 years at each EU summit then compare those proposals to the outcome.

15 days at sea ??? what happened to that proposal??

A complete ban ???

Large Closed zones??????

The proposals are numerous. Ben Bradshawe and the others bottle out at the last second.

Some of this years proposals are here :

http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fullstory.p...t_sea_cuts.html

http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fullstory.p...t_sea_cuts.html

This years proposals will soon be in the bin along with last years and the years before and the years before and ........................................................................... and the years before.

A waste of time.

Edited by Feels like Winter to me

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Dec 16 2005, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

:D While I have every sympathy with the commercial fishermen I fail to see why they must be compensated. Nobody else gets a handout when work is scarce, except for a redundancy package. Most commercials are self employed so wouldn't even be eligible for job seekers allowance, let alone redundancy.

We are told there are plenty of fish in the sea, then we're told catches have to be cut to conserve stocks, who's telling the truth and who's lying? :rolleyes:

Norm, if you believe catches have to be cut to conserve stocks, then do you believe this will be more easily achived by

1.paying the boats realistic transitional money to get through this period, and tying it to some requirement that they stay at the quayside for extended periods.

or

2. Leaving them to either go bust or break the rules to stay solvent, and relying on enforcement to be able to prevent the latter?

I know which system my money would be on.

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Unfortunately taxpayers have an aversion for their hard earned money to be used for paying someone to do nothing, because they may then break the law.

It was similarly proposed that criminals on release from jail, who then find it almost impossible to find decent paid employment, should be given a 'pension' that would sustain a decent standard of living.

It was argued that this would avoid the situation where such released criminals, who had paid their debt to society for their crimes, were 'forced' back into crime, causing distress and loss to others.

On paper, it sounds good.

But would you be prepared to pay extra tax, or divert money away from health, education etc, to keep people on the 'straight and narrow'?

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

My Moneys on neither Jaffa - watch this space <_<:)

Ditto

But in a better world

I would like to see the MLS increased in all the major cases e.g. Bass to something like 50cm, Cod to 5lb (cm equivalent) etc., quotas, conservation areas and minimum distance from land for commercial net fishing.

There would need to be a transition peiod and if this interventionist approach was taken then yes compensation would be justified.

nick

On paper, it sounds good.

But would you be prepared to pay extra tax, or divert money away from health, education etc, to keep people on the 'straight and narrow'?

Thanks for the interesting detail on prisoner pensions; im glad to hear you think it a good idea on paper but I thought we were talking about fishing? :blink:

I'd prefer to pay no more tax and would rather the government stopped wasting 100's of millions failing to manage fish stocks. Compensating boats in return for them tying up would be a cheap and worthwhile investment IMHO.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Unfortunately taxpayers have an aversion for their hard earned money to be used for paying someone to do nothing, because they may then break the law.

So what is dole money payed out for then Leon? I should imagine if dole and family credit payments were canceled the crime rate would rise considerable, if it means survival I doubt many would not break the law.

I fish to live and live to fish.

but I thought we were talking about fishing? :blink:

Ah!

fishing

That's where small businesses are given free access to a publicly owned resource which they then treat as their sole property.

And when scientific advice (paid for by taxpayers) cautions that the resource is unable to withstand the level of exploitation that they are directing towards it, they then apply political pressure for the advice to be discounted because 'The Industry' cannot take such cuts.

And when inevitably the result of ignoring the advice, year after year, is that the stocks are no longer exploitable, they demand compensation for agreeing to some degree of restraint (otherwise they will be forced to ignore the law to make a living).

But of course the mess is all down to the scientists, the politicians, and an international conspiracy to wipe out the British fishing fleet, with full backing of British politicans.

And anyway it's not us, but the French and Spanish that do all of the damage.

And there really isn't a problem with overfishing, because the seas are teeming with fish if only fisheremen were allowed to decide themselves what can and cannot be caught and wehere without beuracratic interference.

And anglers should just butt out of things that they really don't understand.

:)

I'll get me hat!

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust