"anglers should just butt out of things that they really don't understand."

Never gonna hear the end of that one.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure this is applicable

http://www.seabal.co.uk/fact_benefits.htm

but why shouldnt fishermen get benefits :( after all its the government restricting their working lives not the fishermen themselves ,if our "new" friends from abroad are told not to work untill their cases are heard and recieve benefits why not tax paying folk with government enforced restrictions <_<

when the fishings good no doupt they pay more tax why not a bit back when its not so,i'm not sure how the allotted days work but if its a set part of the month and the weather is too bad to fish what exactly do they give their kids to eat ?seawater

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest binatone

I honestly cannot believe that anybody can believe that others are not compensated so why fishermen?

Remember when we use to have an agricultural and fisheries minister? The same minister representing two industries’ that provided food.

Weather you fished or farmed you where treated more or less the same (badly but at least by the same department) then came Thatcher’s rain, we love farmers and all there lovely rural seats and votes. I the iron lady also love to look strong and so I will negotiate that Britain get a large rebate from Europe; I will look strong at home by our patriotic voters and get another term in office. But what have we got to give them?

Well there’s the fishing industry prime minister, the rest is history.

40% of all the money that goes into the European budget goes to 3% of the population. (Farmers)

You find me a farmer that has never been compensated for doing nothing. Compensated for growing nothing, compensated in nearly every department within farming and then even subsidised to convert his farm building so that he can make money from tourism rather than having to embarrassingly rely totally on subsides.

Then through bad work practices he almost destroys his own industry (foot and mouth mad cows) what are the tax payer asked to do. You got it subsidies, reimburse, compensate.

the only outcome of a further restriction in the number of days at sea for vessels using 120mm codends will be a reduction in the size of codends they use.

The implications for the British fleet, who will often not have suffice quota to switch to other TAC managed spoecies, will be an increase in effort on non pressure stock species.

as a result of these proposal we can expect an increase in effort for Bass. Important that the RSA understand this, particulaly as mobile gear fishers (of all nationalities) already represent the most significant effort on Bass and the present consultation on further bass management measures will go no why to address this situation.

*=total allowable catch = pressure stock

Edited by Marine Bill

This is what you missed.

JB

Nice pics, and not the place to be in a small boat. Stayed at home and wrote a few more pages into my newest fictional novel . Its titled "Tax Return 04/05" :angry:

Agriculture and fisheries are about the only industries who still get major subsidies and both for reasons of overproduction. But there the similarities end as the farmers were overproducing and ruining the pricing structure whereas the commercial fisheries were overfishing and damaging stocks.

Many industries have seen their subsidies removed and have had to change to survive, and I can see the day when all these subsidies will be withdrawn and the money being put into diversification instead.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

I cant think of any other indusries that are subsidised to the extent these two are,maybe you know of one? My understanding is that the subsidies were started because of over production in the case of farmers allowing them to set aside fields instead of producing crops.

The commercial fishing sector also got subsidies as a result of falling stocks allowing decommisioning of vessels. This is surely another example of "overproduction" ? Or perhaps there is another factor involved.

If there are other industries that get these kind of payments and on this kind of scale please enlighten me.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

I cant think of any other industries that are subsidised to the extent these two are,maybe you know of one? My understanding is that the subsidies were started because of over production in the case of farmers allowing them to set aside fields instead of producing crops.

The commercial fishing sector also got subsidies as a result of falling stocks allowing decommissioning of vessels. This is surely another example of "overproduction" ? Or perhaps there is another factor involved.

If there are other industries that get these kind of payments and on this kind of scale please enlighten me.

Dave

I don't know a lot about farming but that sounds a very simplistic view.

With commercial fishing you are well off the mark.

The first EU subsidies I remember were minimum prices; Where if a box of fish failed to reach an EU set price, then the whole lot was sprayed with dye and carted off for fish-meal, and the boat got EU compensation. A really wasteful and stupid system that encouraged the landing of "rounders" IME. It was hated by many fishermen.

Then there were all the different subsidies to "disadvantaged" areas of Scotland, structural funding i think, though may well be wrong; there were so many and it was so damn complex. That meant a young skipper in some areas could get 75% funding (i could be wrong on the amount) for new boats/gear. Again, this was EU stuff.

Then there were subsidies for boats to comply with the never ending list of new EU safety requirements; needless to say a smart young skipper could think of a way of fitting a safety feature that also increased catching power...... These were again EU subsidies. BTW Spain has received about 1 billion over the last few years, apparently for everything but an increase in catching power ;):D Pigs might fly IMHO.

The kind of "subsidy" / "compensation" Big Cod is talking about is something different altogether . This is a positive, hopefully short term, investment in our fish stocks IMHO. This is not the same kind of madness that was inflicted on fishing communities, by remote bureaucrats, that went before.

As for subsidies in other industries! :D Where to start? The power industry? Cheap deals for foreign electronics firms to set up shop then leave 5 years later, just as they were meant to start payback? The defence industry! :blink:

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest binatone

Fishing’s fine.

Could you please show me where all these so called subsidies to fishermen in my part of the world are going because I have never come across them.

Jaffa mentioned blue die being put on fish because they did not reach the minimum price and being compensated for your short comings.

This as he says was years ago. It did not work and fishermen hated it.

Boats where decommissioned but like the compensation for unsellable fish this also has only benefited a very small percentage of fishermen.

Unlike the billons that have been pored into the farming industry to help the real fat cat, Tory voting, land owning and many members of parliament.

Decommissioning like voluntarily redundancies where made attractive before they would of become compulsory.

As for the government spending money on advertising fish products etc? The government spent more money on imported coal so they could burn the carcases of animals destroyed through foot and mouth in one year than they have spent on the fishing industry in the last five years.

That was just on coal, never mined the billons compensated to the farmers for something that was caused by there own incompetence.

If we where to blockade the port of Whitby, under the heading, stop our subsidies then the flying pigs would be more confused than the flying pickets.