20% Cut In Cod Quota Only 12days A Month

big_cod

Guest binatone

No problem with that. We don’t get any subsidies anyway so we have nothing to loose.

Just don’t blame us then and say that things will have to change if you are to continue enjoying your past time.

I have no qualms with anyone who is happy with there lot, as I am happy with my job and my pass time.

What angers me is when people blame me for depriving them of there hobby when they no nothing of what we do.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem with that. We don’t get any subsidies anyway so we have nothing to loose.

Just don’t blame us then and say that things will have to change if you are to continue enjoying your past time.

I have no qualms with anyone who is happy with there lot, as I am happy with my job and my pass time.

What angers me is when people blame me for depriving them of there hobby when they no nothing of what we do.

Ok then binatone/wurzel let me ask you a little question, now i know your meant to be a trawler man but just say you put yourself in the shoes of one of the local small boat brigade that uses tangle nets along the beaches ok!

Right now you have decided to to stick a couple of fleets of netts at the low water mark of a popular beachfishing area because the sole happen to be there yeh, now i come along and with 50 or more other anglers at the weekend to find it is totaly impossible to fish, now do you think this is not depriving us anglers of are rights and are enjoyment that we have looked forward to all week, anglers get totaly pi*sed off with this scenario weekend after weekend.

This situation happens all the time around my neck of the woods so whats your answer? the problem is if you left us alone and gave us some slack we would leave you alone and maybe even support you from time to time but no you want it one way dont you and that is the problem is'nt it boys.....................

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

As a help to fishermen you could also ad the millions put into the processing industry, marketing campaigns 'eat more fish' etc., which at the end of the day pushes demand and fish prices up. Funnily enough if you ask the industry organisations, fishermen and processors they sometimes ridicule but never argue to quit the subsidises. On the contrary. and that's the real explanation why you still have tax payers money purred into this industry by the billions, both from the EU (which is nothing more than what national ministers can agree) and national schemes. It would be a nice and welcomed surprise if we one day would see the commercial sector launch a campaign aimed at getting rid of subsidizes (fishermen could block some harbours to make themself heard better as they are used to when it comes to pressurizing for oil price reductions and bigger fish quotas). If that ever happened I'm inclined to believe that pigs CAN fly.

The ad campaigns were run by the White Fish Authority (later the SFIA) who levied a tax on every box of fish landed. Fishermen were forced to pay in but did not have a say in how it was spent....

Why would they argue to quit the subsidies when they have to compete against fleets who are subsidised to the hilt? Anyway, as Wurzel points out, in reality you'd need a team of lawyers to get anything from the grants you list. The subsidies need to go (and in effect have in the UK) but that needs to be right across the EU.

Correct me if im wrong, but of the £1.4 BILLION given out in EU subsidy over the last 5 years, nearly 1 billion has gone to Spain. I hope im wrong with these figures ... :(

Whats the odds that some of that subsidy has ended up helping finance the Spainish fleet currently laying waste to deepwater stocks off NW Scotland?

The naive idea, shown by many on this forum, that the removal of the UK fleet will lead to better sticks in the future is insane IMHO. Foreign fleets WILL move into the vacum as surely as night follows day.

At the moment Scots fishermen are fighting for the retention of the Shetland box. It was Scots fishermen that alerted the world as to what the Russians are doing to Rockall with their 40mm nets. (and btw Sharkbyte the boats that fished Rockall received no compensation when this goverment decided to quietly give away a huge area of our waters. Rockall must be so much better off than it was when the Scots where there.... :(:angry:

Chris

BTW, off topic , but anyone know what the circumstances were that led to the marine border between England and Scotland being moved away North to the Tay?

This situation happens all the time around my neck of the woods so whats your answer? the problem is if you left us alone and gave us some slack we would leave you alone and maybe even support you from time to time but no you want it one way dont you and that is the problem is'nt it boys.....................

This does not happen in my area. The bulk of the UK fleet is Scots. Are they responsible for your local problems?

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Quote, This does not happen in my area. The bulk of the UK fleet is Scots. Are they responsible for your local problems?

As it happens the jocks are a problem at a certain time of the year here, you ask them if they pair trawl for bass off the sussex coast? i am not interested about facts or fiction chris i know they do a lot of damage here and if you like you can ask my sfc chief fisheries officer to prove it. scotland should stick to their own coasts for its blo*dy fishing industry and not rape ours................

Guest binatone
Quote, This does not happen in my area. The bulk of the UK fleet is Scots. Are they responsible for your local problems?

As it happens the jocks are a problem at a certain time of the year here, you ask them if they pair trawl for bass off the sussex coast? i am not interested about facts or fiction chris i know they do a lot of damage here and if you like you can ask my sfc chief fisheries officer to prove it. scotland should stick to their own coasts for its blo*dy fishing industry and not rape ours................

Hold on jaffa; don’t tar every Englishman with the same brush. You can fish in my sea if I can fish in yours. Or from a recreational point, should I knot say you can be in my dream if I can be in yours.

Hello Stavey

So you want to wipe out the whole commercial fleet because one little netter sets a few nets close to your local beach.

Is he anything to do with the sustainable fishery at Hastings?

But it's fine for the French pair trawlers to fish up to the 6 mile line.

Didn't Badshaw stop the Scots inside 12 miles?

Any way Stavey I thought Leon said the English bass don't get caught by the pair teams during the winter, so were's the problem?

I fish to live and live to fish.

Any way Stavey I thought Leon said the English bass don't get caught by the pair teams during the winter.

Mike Pawson, the CEFAS bass expert, writing in Fishing News of the 2nd of December states:

"... a migration of bass in late autumn from the North Sea to offshore spawning areas in the western English Channel (where these fish were caught in the pair-trawl fishery in winter) no longer appears to take place.

In general, adult bass now appear to remain near their summer feeding areas much later in the year, and to spawn further north, possibly as a consequence of climate warming.

The most recent tagging study also showed that the winter offshore fishery probably accounts for no more than 10% of the exploitation of bass otherwise taken in fisheries (both commercial and recreational) within UK territorial waters. Overall, there appears to be relatively little mixing between 'UK' stocks and those along the continental and Irish coasts."

Mike Pawson's whole article now available online at:

http://ukbass.com/2005/12/bass-mls-scientific-view_09.html

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hold on jaffa; don’t tar every Englishman with the same brush. You can fish in my sea if I can fish in yours. Or from a recreational point, should I knot say you can be in my dream if I can be in yours.

Hi Binatone. Did not mean it as an English/ Scottish issue ;)

Stavey, just how many Scots boats turn up to pair trawl for bass down your way?! Maybe a couple of teams? Are they allowed inside of 12 miles off Sussex then?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Hello Stavey

Qoute,

So you want to wipe out the whole commercial fleet because one little netter sets a few nets close to your local beach.

Is he anything to do with the sustainable fishery at Hastings?

How would restricting netts say from one mile from the beach wipe out the whole commercial industry do me a favour wurzel ha, and the chap who is incharge of the so called sustainable fishery at hastings oh yeh lol, is'nt he and hes mate the ones who got done for landing £2500 worth of illegal fish the other year? some sustainable fishermen they are, not

Quote,

But it's fine for the French pair trawlers to fish up to the 6 mile line.

Didn't Badshaw stop the Scots inside 12 miles?

Any way Stavey I thought Leon said the English bass don't get caught by the pair teams during the winter, so were's the problem?

The french commercials will get their turn in the future dont worry about that wurzel

no bradshaws so called pair fishing ban only applies for the southwest aproaches and not here anyway its not worth a carrot like most of these crappy laws their full of loopholes as you know very well,

and as for pair trawling anyway its just as indiscriminating as any fishing method carried out with a blo*dy great net, its not just the bass off here that gets hammered you know, i have said it before wurzel and i will say it again i dont hate commercial fishermen just their po*y netts mate...........