20% Cut In Cod Quota Only 12days A Month

big_cod

But if you are right, it would be nice to have a drastic reduction in commercial fuel prices, which is their biggest expense and has almost trebled over the last two years. We would all benefit from that.

I am a bit late on this one but the digger driver who is working for me pays the same for his red as the commercials do. He has had to adjust his rates accordingly, currently they are dropping as the red is getting cheaper.

As I have said before the price of fish on the quay is greatly under valued. To many middle men, same problem with milk.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wurzel it is sad that the fleet is decreasing but from your side of things would it not be good if you are one of the few left in the would be cottage inderstry?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

And anglers should just butt out of things that they really don't understand.

Well you got that bit right Leon.

And there really isn't a problem with overfishing, because the seas are teeming with fish if only fisheremen were allowed to decide themselves what can and cannot be caught and wehere without beuracratic interference.

This bit is also right

fishing

That's where small businesses are given free access to a publicly owned resource which they then treat as their sole property.

We've never stopped you from takeing what ever you want , although you don't see to many angling boats fishing for haddocks in the Norwegian sector or monks and torsk in the deep water off Scotland, or Dover sole on the grounds I work for that matter, so whats the problem?

Hello Sam

Wurzel it is sad that the fleet is decreasing but from your side of things would it not be good if you are one of the few left in the would be cottage inderstry?

Why should I be one of the few left ? I am shruggleing with a unworkable sole quota.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Ah!

fishing

That's where small businesses are given free access to a publicly owned resource which they then treat as their sole property.

And when scientific advice (paid for by taxpayers) cautions that the resource is unable to withstand the level of exploitation that they are directing towards it, they then apply political pressure for the advice to be discounted because 'The Industry' cannot take such cuts.

And when inevitably the result of ignoring the advice, year after year, is that the stocks are no longer exploitable, they demand compensation for agreeing to some degree of restraint (otherwise they will be forced to ignore the law to make a living).

But of course the mess is all down to the scientists, the politicians, and an international conspiracy to wipe out the British fishing fleet, with full backing of British politicans.

And anyway it's not us, but the French and Spanish that do all of the damage.

And there really isn't a problem with overfishing, because the seas are teeming with fish if only fisheremen were allowed to decide themselves what can and cannot be caught and wehere without beuracratic interference.

:)

I'll get me hat!

TL - leon

Maybe you could try saying something before getting your hat?

I am a bit late on this one but the digger driver who is working for me pays the same for his red as the commercials do. He has had to adjust his rates accordingly, currently they are dropping as the red is getting cheaper.

As I have said before the price of fish on the quay is greatly under valued. To many middle men, same problem with milk.

Important point! :(

A lot of fisheries regulations have increased the speed of centralisation of landings, playing right into the hands of the supermarkets.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

e.g.

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=591&id=2167762005

'Crazy' EU rules send Scottish shellfish on 900-mile round trip

JEREMY WATSON

THE Turnberry chefs had donned their white hats and were ready to cook. The diners were starving and looking forward to mouthwatering plates of Scottish seafood.

The only problem was that the west coast langoustines to be used on the menu that night were decidedly off. In fact, they were dead, even though they had been landed nearby on the Ayrshire coast.

Astonished staff at the five-star resort discovered that, as a result of new European Union food safety rules, the shellfish had been on a 900-mile round trip.

It started when they came ashore five miles away, took them to Billingsgate Market in London, a fish supplier in Eyemouth on the east coast, and an Edinburgh wholesaler.

By the time the langoustines had finished their two-day trek - just a few miles from where they started - they were in no state to be served up to the discerning diners at Turnberry and went in the bin.

The saga illustrates the effect the regulations will have on seafood restaurants throughout Scotland, which market themselves on the quality and the freshness of their shellfish - such as lobster, langoustines, crab and scallops.

The First Sale of Fish regulations are aimed at ensuring that any fish bought in Scotland can be traced back to the fisherman who caught it, both as a hygiene measure and to clamp down on illegal landings of 'black' (over-quota) fish.

The famous five-star resort used to get its internationally renowned shellfish from local fishermen who brought in fresh supplies daily from local ports such as Girvan.

But the European 'fish traceability' rules, which become compulsory next year, mean shellfish have to be bought from a wholesaler.

Turnberry general manager Stewart Selbie said the hotel decided it was responsible practice to adopt the rules early, with unforeseen results.

He said: "We stopped buying the shellfish we used to get directly from Girvan.

"But when we got a box of langoustines in, we noticed it had still originated from Girvan but had come to us via Billingsgate in London and a fish wholesaler in Edinburgh.

"When we looked into it, we found it was the same stuff we used to buy directly, which has to be crazy.

"We are very happy to comply with the regulations but these shellfish had gone all the way to Billingsgate to be processed through there, then all the way back to Edinburgh to be processed there and then across to us. When it got here the produce was damaged and 90% of the langoustines had died. We just couldn't use them."

Craig Millar, the chef at the award-winning seafood restaurants at St Monans and St Andrews in Fife, said the new regulations would affect his purchases of lobsters and scallops from local fishermen.

"We use these guys because we trust their product and we know it is as fresh as it could possibly be.

"It's that whole quality of freshness that adds to the ambience of eating in restaurants like ours. We lose that if we buy from a wholesaler and the fish has had to go somewhere else for a couple of days."

Millar said his restaurants prided themselves on getting their supplies daily and on to the plate as quickly as possible.

"Our American customers love that. They come in and ask for lobster and we say 'Sorry, we don't have any in but we can get you one.' Our supplier lives next door and they can watch him go out and bring it back from the keep.

"Under the new regulations they will probably have to wait about three days."

Most west coast restaurants, including top-quality eateries such as The Three Chimneys on Skye, also depend on getting their supplies of fresh shellfish from local fishermen on a daily basis.

David Wilkinson, the chef at the Loch Bay Seafood Restaurant on the island, said he got his supplies from boats coming into Dunvegan and Waternish.

"At the moment we get the freshest possible shellfish from these fishermen and we know through experience how to keep it that way. It wouldn't be the same if we had to get it from a wholesaler.

"I suppose this is being done in the name of protecting the consumer, but with all the regulations continually heaped upon us every year, it just gets tougher and tougher."

The only remaining way to buy shellfish direct from a boat is nightmarishly bureaucratic. The buyer will have to register with the Scottish Executive. Every time a purchase is made - daily in the case of most seafood restaurants to guarantee freshness - forms will have to be filled in: logging who it was bought from, at what time and how it is going to be kept.

A spokeswoman for the Executive said the regulations were being introduced to ensure that the shellfish supply line could be clearly traced and to help in the fight against 'black' fish landings.

She added it was the Executive's view that the regulations would not cause any substantial changes to current business practices for buying shellfish directly from fishing boats.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest Feels like Winter to me

Leon m8 you are an absolute star. Normally you stay well out of these things . For once you spoke from the heart - well done . Dont make a habbit of it though youll end up bitter and twisted like me.

Ah!

fishing

And when scientific advice (paid for by taxpayers) cautions that the resource is unable to withstand the level of exploitation that they are directing towards it, they then apply political pressure for the advice to be discounted because 'The Industry' cannot take such cuts.

And when inevitably the result of ignoring the advice, year after year, is that the stocks are no longer exploitable, they demand compensation for agreeing to some degree of restraint (otherwise they will be forced to ignore the law to make a living).

But of course the mess is all down to the scientists, the politicians, and an international conspiracy to wipe out the British fishing fleet, with full backing of British politicans.

And anyway it's not us, but the French and Spanish that do all of the damage.

:)

I'll get me hat!

TL - leon

I dont like to quote whole posts but Loen, you've nailed this one.

We have the same thing going on over here (maybe to a lesser extent). My view is that if there's less pro's out taking tighter bag limits, the prise of fish would rise so they'd make just as much money as before. And with there being less of them they could keep fishing well into the future.

Cheers........HB

rb_getcreative.gif

Quote, Why should I be one of the few left ? I am shruggleing with a unworkable sole quota.

Wurzel, you know the answer to your problem matey dont you? why dont you do like any other person on this tiny island does when the going gets tough and they find they are having problems with paying the rent when their work is no longer able to keep the wolfs from the door, and that is CHANGE YOUR JOB.

Im sick and fed up of hearing the same old crap from fishermen and fishermen sympathizers, oh the poor old fishermen they work realy hard for the few pennys they earn we must look after them, STOP THE EU QUOTA'S give us COMPENSATION let us land and get payed for all the UNDERSIZED fish, leave us alone to swindle the books and keep the cash from the BLACKFISH etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

I used to have some sympathy for fishermen before i realy looked into the subject but not now, no none in the slightest, and that goes for everyone of them in the world and not just our own here, they say they are independent self employed businesses, well i wish they acted like one and shared some responsibilities for their own failings and to much of the fish stock destruction in our sea's at us anglers expence..........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Stavey

"anglers should just butt out of things that they really don't understand." I like this quote

I doubt you have looked into the subject at all, as you obvisouly don't know what you are talking about

I fish to live and live to fish.