Eating Carp

Fastd

I suppose, when all's said and done, that is why they were introduced in the first place.

That said, imagaine the horror if people start taking them from fisheries :(

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait until they start marketing them as 'sweetwater cod' :eek:

TL - leon

http://www.scottishtorymeps.org.uk/archive...iefingMar04.htm

The EU is threatening to extend the Common Fisheries Policy to cover the UK's lakes, lochs and rivers, if pressure from the ten new accession states in Eastern Europe bears fruit.

These dire warnings of collapsing fish stocks and illegal fishing have a familiar ring to those of us struggling with cod recovery plans in the North Sea. However, in this case the fish stocks concerned are in inland lakes and rivers in the ten accession states.

What few people realise is that, under Article 37 of the Treaty, the competence of the Council of Ministers is not restricted solely to Community maritime waters and could readily be extended to inland waters.

TL - leon

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I suppose, when all's said and done, that is why they were introduced in the first place.

That said, imagaine the horror if people start taking them from fisheries :(

Carp, other coarse fish, and grey mullet have been offered for sale at Brighton and Hove fishmongers for as long as I - at age 71 - can remember (large Jewish community established there)

Nothing wrong in eating carp aquired by legitimate means - the problem is when people steal them from fisheries.

After all, most of us eat beef, but we don't go in for cattle rustling.

I can see the day coming when "catch and eat" will be an option at commercial coarse fisheries, just as it is at commercial trout fisheries at present.

I don't like carp. but "bon appetite" to anyone who does.

I'm about to dine on Texas Turkey :D:D

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

We had salmon today! So why not carp, or, shudder, pike?

Our Lowestoft Morrisons had carp for sale. Apparently some of the staff were less than polite to the manager! Nice fish, 7 & 8 pound mirror carp, so I was told.

Just have to boycotte Morrisons.

We had salmon today! So why not carp, or, shudder, pike?

Our Lowestoft Morrisons had carp for sale. Apparently some of the staff were less than polite to the manager! Nice fish, 7 & 8 pound mirror carp, so I was told.

Just have to boycotte Morrisons.

Peter,

I've eaten most of our freshwater species (including minnows cooked as whitebait!) & one of the best is a clearwater Pike (Irish ones are fantastic). To be honest they're easily on par with Salmon, if cooked right, & much better than Carp. So don't shudder mate, even though they are your favourite fish, cos the price of sea fish looks set to rocket again!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

yes carp are on the menu it seems....along with any other coarse fish that some immigrants can get there hands on by any means possible. A few years ago i heard reports of asians catching good sized barbel from the severn and taking them for the table. However recently in stoke there has been a spate of such occurrences involving eastern european immigrants. Apparently they have been fishing using very crude methods for large carp and taking them for the table in some of the more urban waters. At first I took this story with a pinch of salt. One night I was leaving my local lake(Another urban water) and noticed that the unfamiliar faces who were float fishing with very basic gear, floats like lighthouses, were speaking in a foreign tongue. I noted this and did think of approaching them for their permits but in the end I thought that should I see them again I would approach them. A few nights later I arrived fully laden for a night session for the carp. Just as I was surveying the swim for signs of fish out from the bushes pops one of the foreigners from the previous night, along with a nice roach of about 10 ounces still wriggling about in a plastic bag!!!!!!!!! I had a few words with the non english speaking offender and took the roach away from him and released back inot the lake. He in all fairness did not protest as I think he understood that this was not the done thing in this country. The worrying thing about the whole incident is that there is a hell of alot of immigrants in this country now whom I assume take the same attitude as my ill informed friend. How many of them have got away with it I wonder????? :o

The same thing happens in sea angling, none Engling people take many undersized bass ect...

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I have no doubt that regulation English folk also take undersize bass for the pot. The biggest perpetrators, in my experience, are the beam trawlers that work in pairs and come in right to the groyne ends. By the time their catch is sorted undersized bass are dead.

Talking of bass, I noticed that packets of Wild Sea Bass ( I think they were labelled wild?) in my supermarket. These were topped and tailed, but did not look 35 cms to me. If they were undersize, is this illegal?

Edited by Lid