rex hunt

butiaboy

Peter. The trout and more recently the perch (redfin) have almost totally ousted the native blackfish as the main fish present in the cool streams of the GDR.

I think that the blackfish are now listed as endangered.

In New Zealand, it's arguably worse. The only large fish present other than eels are trout, carp and goldfish and although I've never been able to establish whether there were large natives that have been outsted, the trout certanly take a toll of the native galaxids by simply eating them.

Thanks for that Ken (I think) I'm interested now, looks like I'm off googling! :)

Come up with this site http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/invasiv...troduction.html

Pretty amazing, Brown Trout and Rainbows appear to have done major ecological damage to a large number of Aussie waters.

Certainly they seem to have matched the Carp for damage to native species, yet carry none of the hatred that the Carp engenders.

Wonder if thats because they taste better than Carp & the Aussies do like eating their catch don't they.

Nothing wrong in that of course, but is there a double standard here.

Edited by peter mccue

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way carp are spreading we might, quite seriously, have to be a bit brutal too. Their JCB activities are not best loved by the conservation lobby, although pike & perch are, strangely enough. No, this is not anti-carp, just making the point that carp are not suited to every water on the planet.

The way carp are spreading we might, quite seriously, have to be a bit brutal too. Their JCB activities are not best loved by the conservation lobby, although pike & perch are, strangely enough. No, this is not anti-carp, just making the point that carp are not suited to every water on the planet.

this is my first entry so hi everyone, I've been browsing for a couple of weeks now and decided to get my feet wet by jumping in.

I coundn't agree more with what PW is saying about the number of carp now in our waters, I'm not anti any fish but I like a "balance", I refuse to fish "commercial ponds" because I prefer rivers, but on the odd visit to a lake I've noticed that it dosn't take long before the carp show up. I even heard of carp winning matches at Ullerskelfe on the R Wharfe! I wonder if the carp are slowly pushing out some of the other species.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi and welcome Gozzer. There's nothing like starting out with a nice easy uncontravercial subject. As it happens, I completely agree with the position that you and Peter ahave taken but may I suggest that you DUCK.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi and welcome Gozzer. There's nothing like starting out with a nice easy uncontravercial subject. As it happens, I completely agree with the position that you and Peter ahave taken but may I suggest that you DUCK.

Thanks Ken, Iv'e got my anti boilie barrage armour on just in case!

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I think that Peter Waller and Gozzer are getting to the nitty griity of the subject. Why not leave those of us in Australia to decide what is good for Australia. For anyone to presume they know better is arrogance in the extreme. I can imagine the outcry if Aussies were to suggest that all carp in the UK were killed because we don't want them here! While people in other countries do fish for carp, I would suggest that it is only UK anglers who revere them as they do. In this country they really are vermin in many waters. Not only do they spoil the environment for indiginous fish, but they make it impossible to fish for anything else because of their readiness to take almost any bait presented.

I must confess that I don't really enjoy having to kill red fins, (Perch) but they are good tucker so it is not at all difficult! :)

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

The spread of carp might not be a problem yet, but I think we sould keep an eye on the situation.

I well remember the worries over catfish and zander in the 70s, reports of zander spreading into the Trent and the Yorkshire Ouse system etc. This came to nothing, but they didn't breed lie the carp do, they seem to adapt to most waters and conditions. And the introduction of so many different types of carp makes the chance of adaptation more likely. As I said before I am not against any fish,and because of this I'd like to see more "balance" in fishery management.

The spread of carp might not be a problem yet, but I think we sould keep an eye on the situation.

But the spread of carp is already a major problem in parts of Australia. Even if it weren't, the time to do something would be now, and not wait until it became a serious problem.

Fishery management and introducing alien species of fish to other countries are two vastly different things. I was a fishery manager for a number of years before I left the UK and I have to say that in the interests of maintaing good fisheries for the anglers who fished my waters, I never introduced any fish, but I removed quite a lot! (Sorry, I did put some Leney carp in Snowberry, but that was intended to be a carp fishery anyway.)

To introduce fish like carp on a willy nilly basis which is the way in which it has been done, is a recipe for disaster - a disaster that has eventuated in a number of areas in Oz.

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

I'll probably get my head ripped off me shoulders for this but here goes anyway.

I am with Rex and all the other Aussies on this one. I for one think it is just plain irresponsible to introduce any species of fish to any water where it is not an indigenous species. The environment should always come before the interests of anglers.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I'll probably get my head ripped off me shoulders for this but here goes anyway.

Not by me mate! :D