Norfolk Broads Boating Holiday

Mat Hillman

Off on a family trip to the broads in a few weeks - was wondering if lure fishing is allowed from a moored boat?

if it is - can anyone suggest a suitable starter lure outfit? Would like to do some fishing while I'm there, and a lure outfit seems easier to pack and use than trotting gear, especially with the difficulty of keeping maggots fresh in the middle of the summer!

Mat

Mat

Lure fishing OK from bank or static boat - not from a moving one.

Trot with bread flake ! Gets a bigger stamp of fish.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hire boats all have fridges so keeping bait fresh should not be a problem.

As far as lure fishing is concerned most hire boats have high sides making them unsuitable for landing and handling pike. Best get a dinghy if you really want to go lure fishing.

Trotting on the Broads, feeder fishing is easier & the bream keen to oblige.

Hire boats all have fridges so keeping bait fresh should not be a problem.

As far as lure fishing is concerned most hire boats have high sides making them unsuitable for landing and handling pike. Best get a dinghy if you really want to go lure fishing.

The boat we've picked is the style with the fairly low forward well / seating area - I'm pretty sure I'll have room to unhook safely with a mat on the floor. not sure I want the aggro of towing a dinghy around, mooring in the busier spots like Yarmouth and Norwich was a nightmare when I tried it last time - It's a family holiday, I'm thinking along the lines of a few casts early in the morning before the wife and kids wake.

Mat

Mat

1. not sure I want the aggro of towing a dinghy around,

2 mooring in the busier spots like Yarmouth and Norwich was a nightmare when I tried it last time

3 a few casts early in the morning before the wife and kids wake.

1. Found dinghy very useful, very little aggro

2. We kept away - Wroxham quite bad enough !

3. The best approach - the families enjoyed it last year, so are repeating it this year

as regards style.

Swimfeeders produce bream on bread,

bream and eels on worm or maggot

Trotting clear of the bottom brings roach and rudd on bread

Perch and rudd on worm

Roach, rudd and perch on maggot

That's an oversimplification, but a reasonable general guide if you want to either catch bream - or avoid bream!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

.....2. We kept away - Wroxham quite bad enough !......

Especially if you forget to take the dinghy mast down when going under Wroxham bridge, one almighty clatter followed by a dinghy shipping water fast.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Mat - I have a solution - take a cheap fibreglass telescopic 5 or 6m whip.

You can trot with it on the rivers, use a light weight pole float up the dykes or a heavier float if moored on one of the broads.

Last time my family went I took one for the wife and in laws to use - most of the time they got more bites than me and the father in law who were using 13ft float gear or feeder gear from a dingy.

One sister in law even landed a small Jake pike with it!

Bait - not a problem - there are plenty of tackle shops on the broads or just use bread or corn.

Dingy - well worth hiring - many times we used ours as a ferry when moored away from the bank (on broads) and even as a tug boat at places like Stalham where mooring was tight.

Dingy - Wroxham bridge - I am glad someone else has also had a dingy incident there!

Our holiday boat was to high to fit under (for the whole week) so we had to turn round (very quickly using a lot of power due to big flood tide sucking water under the bridge at a rate of knots), the boat was so old it had a turning circle of an oil tanker, we completed the U turn just missing a jetty, the dingy trailing behind didn't as we motored away, lucky the cleats were a bit rotten and ripped out with ease (still making a very load bang attracting the attention of several hundred tourists), the dingy disappeared under the bridge and eventually after a lot of chasing I rescued it half a mile up stream by running across a group of moored boats.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Re unhooking a pike from a Broads holiday cruiser, so much better for the pike, especially during the summer, if they can be unhooked in the water. Crushed barbs, hooks simply rolled out, minimum handling, as they say, maximum conservation. Pike stocks on the Broads have plummeted in recent years, as Tesco say about their profits, every little helps.