My new PB barbel :)

Tigger

Got on the river at 3pm this afternoon but had to be walkin' back to the car at 5.30 pm...so not a long time to watch my float swim down the stream. This was a swim that I haven't visited for several years so I had no idea how it would fish.
When I got there I could see a tree lying at the end of the glide where the water shallowed off. Anyhow I won't waffle on about the swim except to say that when I hooked my fish they were all right at the end of it and just in front of the tree and they all instantly bolted for it ! Obviously that meant I had to hit them and give no more than a few feet of line. The normark avenger was bent double when the fish tried with their all to power their way to the cover of the sunken tree, I did wonder if it might snap on more than one occassion ! The outcome of the short session was good with me catching a new PB barbel on the float rod :). I'll not say the weight yet...see if anyone can guess it.

june24chub.jpg

june24barbel.jpg

june24barbel2.jpg

june24barbel3.jpg

june24barbel4.jpg

This my new pb - 2 pics
june24barbelfat1-1.jpg

june24barbelfat2-1.jpg

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 2

9lb 4oz. (ish)?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Nice one Ian. :thumbs:

Not the best pic to guess the weight and I would only say over 10 because i think it would need to be. So I will go 10lb 2oz. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I too think over 10. It looks surprisingly deep for one of the barbel you seem to catch so I will say 11lb 2oz.

Many many congratulations tho a float caught fish of that size is amazing.

Rich

Well in Ian superb fish trotting I guess 10lb 14oz

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

If that is a 4" reel, the fish is about 32" long

A barbel I measured at 31.75 " weighed 11 lb..

,,,and yes it looks a deep-bodied fish, so perhaps well over 11

Whatever - a splendid fish. Nice one Ian.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I wouldn't have a clue how much that fish weighs (no idea when it comes to barbel, unfortunately!) but it looks like it ate a brick for breakfast so I bet it was heavy! Congratulations Tigger, another amazing session and well done on the PB - especially as it was on the float.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Some great guesses there gent's but none quite there, Rich was closest with 11 lb 2 ounces.

If any of you can remember last year when I was after a double on the float ?... although I knew i'd caught a fish or two over 10lb I couldn't actually say I had as I had no scales with me at the time but eventually I did manage to get one when I had a set of scales with me. The fish was 12lb in the landing net making it at least 10.8 lb after deducting the net...I was chuffed. This was the fish from last year....

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/4/urp7.jpg

The fish I caught yesterday weighed 13 lb in the net making it 11 1/2 lb ....i'm chuffed again :). Photo's are pretty rubbish I know, I wouldn't mind but I thought they'd be good ones when I took them as I took half a dozen to try and show how thick and deep it was.

Yesterday was probably the most exciting barbel fishing i've ever done as holding them back from a snag with a float rod when they're going for it full bore in fast water is hairy stuff. I've never put so much pressure on the rod and was amazed just how much it'll bend....what a rod ! It just shows how much pressure you can put on with 6lb sensor.

Dave, you like a detective :).

Thank's Andrew :).

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1

I would say 12lb 4oz. That's assuming it is a 4 inch reel, if it's a 4 1/2 inch reel then I'd say it's getting on for 13lb

Quite an achievement Ian, how long did it take to land?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back