Knot secret

yendis

I have been getting snapped up a lot since fishing a local carp lake. I found that the breaks always occurred at the loop knot on my 8 lb main reel line. Same happened when I went up to 10lb line, which broke at about 3.5kg.

I did some experiments and found that by tying it in a special way, I could increase the breaking point up to over 5kg. This could mean the difference between losing and catching some of these bigger fish.

Has anyone else found a similar effect?

75% knot strength is pretty good. Of course the most appropriate knots will depend on many factors but the type of line is the biggie as braid and mono need very different knots.

That said, I doubt that any course anglers in the UK ever put anywhere near 7lb of pressure on the line while playing a fish - any fish.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I didnt feel like I was putting much pressure on my rod, and the rod is nothing specail. But now I have beefed up the line and knot, watch this space for either a good catch or a broken rod (lol).

I have been getting snapped up a lot since fishing a local carp lake. I found that the breaks always occurred at the loop knot on my 8 lb main reel line. Same happened when I went up to 10lb line, which broke at about 3.5kg.

I did some experiments and found that by tying it in a special way, I could increase the breaking point up to over 5kg. This could mean the difference between losing and catching some of these bigger fish.

Has anyone else found a similar effect?

The simple answer is to stop tying loops. Why do you need a loop?

I'd expect a swivel tied with a Palomar knot to give me the maximum b/s of the line.

• Like 1

I join my lines via a swivel as Ajay says but I use uni/ grinner knots. I like to attatch two lines by using a double uni knot also. If fishing light lines then a loop is ok but I feel much more at ease with a micro swivel as the join.

Ken, uni ./ grinner knots are good for nylon and braid alike.

Palomar is a reliable knot, but the grinner is just as reliable.

For larger hooks/swivels either knot will do**

Very small hooks have very small eyes - passing doubled line through them (necessary if you want to use the Palomar) is not practical - so the grinner is a better option.

....or for very small hooks you can use spade-end knots, and there is another useful and reliable knot to learn (and BTW you can use the spade-end knot on both eyed hooks and spade-end hooks.- just treat the eye as the spade)

** except if you to want to tie a rig with three knots (Hook to trace, trace to swivel, and t'other end of swivel to main line) three grinners are a damn sight more practical than trying to tie the third Palomar ! Think about it ! ....and if you can't visualise the problem, try and do it ;)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

** except if you to want to tie a rig with three knots (Hook to trace, trace to swivel, and t'other end of swivel to main line) three grinners are a damn sight more practical than trying to tie the third Palomar ! Think about it ! ....and if you can't visualise the problem, try and do it ;)

Been there, done that. At some point you have to pass the end tackle through a loop. Not easy with shot, hook, mono and braid in the mix...the times I've had to start again.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Been there, done that. At some point you have to pass the end tackle through a loop. Not easy with shot, hook, mono and braid in the mix...the times I've had to start again.

LOL

...........and that's if you tie the trace first. Tie swivel to main line too soon, and you have to get the rod and reel through the loop :crazy:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I get round that issue by tying a figure of 8 loop at the top of the trace. Then you can use a quick connector or loop to loop it to the swivel!

Palomar all the way for me for swivels and large hooks, so easy to tie. Spades are best for small hooks.

Come to think of it I only use 5 knots:

Figure of 8 for loops

Knotless knot for hair rigs

Albright for joining braid to mono

Spade for spade end hooks

Palomar for everything else

Edited by Kappa

I've never really liked the palomar although I do use it for flourocarbon as it seems to be the best knot for that stuff. Grinner/uni for me, once through the eye with mono, twice through with braid (I would go through twice with mono but it then has a tentency to curl up).

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music