? Fishing Test

nursejudy

Apologies if this has been printed before or is wrong!!!

Just when I thought my days of taking test’s were over it seems I may need to take another.. I have seen in the AnglingTimes today to find that various bodies are calling for it to become manditory for all anglers to sit an exam before they can buy a rod licence. Apparrently this all came about after the owner of the Angel of the North Fishery has turned down over 2000 fisherman over the last few months because they had a “basic lack of angling knowledge” Ann Adlington the fishery owner says her actions have caused controversy and many arguments at the water but is adament she has made the right decision. Ann has now set up a free fishing coaching course at the fishery free of charge. Anglings most influential bodies and top fisherman are joining forces to compaign for the launch of the test that would be sat by all newcomers.

Just wondered what your thoughts were.

judy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just slightly off skew and I don't want to turn this into a Angel of the North fight. 2000 anglers turned away from a fishery that has'nt been open for a year yet, seems a lot of anglers, too many to me to have too much truth to it especially when you concider how many anglers don't use the venue blaming cost and excessive rules. Anne herself has just started fishing some few months ago( regulars to the venue say three months) and during that time has qualified as a PAA coach.

Says a lot for the need for an exam methinks

i was not making a dig at the fishery it was the general idea of an exam and the logistics of it that interested me ....who would set the questions ect....

judy

nurse.gif

Question 1.

You catch a Roach weighing about 6 oz. When asked by your wife and mates later how big it was, how do you answer?

a) Didn't have any scales, but the bloke next door had a 2lb carp that looked to be the same size!

B)B) 3lb 4oz, there's never a bailiff around to verify a UK record when you need one......yeah thanks I'll have a strongbow!

c) Check for yourself, I couldn't let an opportunity like this slide so I bought it home in a maggot box for you all to see.

Edited by Comus

Apologies if this has been printed before or is wrong!!!

Just when I thought my days of taking test’s were over it seems I may need to take another.. I have seen in the AnglingTimes today to find that various bodies are calling for it to become manditory for all anglers to sit an exam before they can buy a rod licence. Apparrently this all came about after the owner of the Angel of the North Fishery has turned down over 2000 fisherman over the last few months because they had a “basic lack of angling knowledge” Ann Adlington the fishery owner says her actions have caused controversy and many arguments at the water but is adament she has made the right decision. Ann has now set up a free fishing coaching course at the fishery free of charge. Anglings most influential bodies and top fisherman are joining forces to compaign for the launch of the test that would be sat by all newcomers.

Just wondered what your thoughts were.

judy

I am going to get a licence next month even though i do not agree with them but i think if there was ever a rule like that brought out there will be even less people bothering to get one and the allmighty EA would be skint!

Tigger.

Now, who is an expert on Angling Coaches? :wallbash:

That aside, yes, I saw the front page. A nice thought but totally impractical. Alegedly there are four million folk out there who go fishing once in a while, will they all have to sit an exam?

I'm not trying to encourage any slanging matches,just after your views and comments ,I just thought I would show I could post hopefully an intelligent thread.instead of my usual asking for help/advice.

judy :headhurt:

nurse.gif

You are too nice a girl to want to start a slangling match Judy! This is an interesting subject. I do know an angling coach, a bloke called Den Willis. A fine and capable angler. But how can we produce enough such people to meet the requirents of even a rudimentary, national angling scheme? Its just not on, as desirable as it might be. There are times when I want to shout and swear at my fellow anglers, times when I want to see a minumum IQ level somewhere above navel level, but the reality is that angling is free from such control, maybe that is a large part of the attraction of it.

Isn't it already compulsory in some parts of Europe to pass some sort of basic test before you can get a fishing licence?

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Experienced anglers will not go for it Judy, they think they know all they need to know, afterall ignorance is bliss, and there is an abundance of ignorant ,experienced anglers, The difference between a good experienced angler and a bad experienced angler is attitude, a good experienced angler is always willing to admit they can learn something by being taught, a bad experienced angler is only willing to make excuses.

Angling is being taught in some of our schools, a fabulous and energetic bloke called Les Webber is the driving force behind it despite the best efforts of the NFA to scupper his plans!

He also runs an angling center for problem kids, they have their own water and have built log cabins , they stay for weeks during the summer, they are taught good angling practice and it is a fact none of the little urchins re-offend, Les does a fantastic job and is one of the un-sung hero's of our sport/pastime.

Of course joining a fishing club is always a good way of learning, usually there are some very competent anglers anyone can learn from if they have the desire, so angling coaches are only a small part of educating prospective anglers, but I feel if an angler has been fishing for a number of years and is not really very competent, a one to one course of lessons with a qualified coach is the best course of action .

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]