? Fishing Test

nursejudy

Out of interest - pure and simple, I have contacted Pershore College to find out more about the PAA course and syllabus.

I'll let you know what I find out.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a simple test which Incorporated instruction on unhooking and fish care even basic first aid and what to do in an emergency and fish identification ect and a simple multi-choice Q & A with text or diagrams or even verbally could quite easerly be implicated as a online test (like the learn direct ones ) or taken at local collages or schools at a night class and adjudicated there and then and a pin number given which would have to be used to authenticate when buying a licence which could be checked later by comparing computer records of issued numbers and the numbers used to authenticate the licence.

all it would take is for the government/ea to set up a committee to decide how to do it,one to decide what to include in the test,another committee to oversee the running/set up the system ,and one to set up a new system after first one fails.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Now this is what I have come to expect from a debate on AN! Both the for and against posts are sensible and provide food for thought! Much better than some recent threads.

A massive task (well initially any way) to test/licence all of UK's existing anglers but once done wouldnt be to hard to maintain would it? They seem to manage ok in Germany (Ive no idea of the numbers involved here)

Regards the "wont learn,know it all" yes they are out there but eventually a system like sugested would erradicate/prevent them surely?

The policing of the system would be much the same as for the German angler and shooters if you had to produce your licence to buy club cards,day tickets or tackle,bait etc.Yes I know that the powers to be dont even seem to bother enforcing the present system ie checking rod licences but just because this is failling we shouldnt allow it to form a presidence.

Putting off the casual angler/ as I said you could still go fishing with out a licence but only with a licenced angler ie supervised so still acheiving the same aim.

I can totally see how it would seem to be a realy daunting task but remember it wasnt that long ago when you didnt need an HGV driving licence/test was it.

Would certainly be worth while fishery managers enforcing it as it would surely assist them.

And yes it would be kind of ironic if it was commercials that lead the way in the next round of conservation/fish welfare!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

im for the welfare of fish and educating people on fish handling etc, but im sure if we had a card or licence, that there would be many times when i would travel to the tackle shop to buy a pint of maggots and wouldnt be able to buy them as i didnt have my "angler ID", maybe better to tattoo a 'licensed angler' and a ID code on the forehead! that way i wouldnt forget it.

but im sure if we had a card or licence, that there would be many times when i would travel to the tackle shop to buy a pint of maggots and wouldnt be able to buy them as i didnt have my "angler ID",

I can relate to that David! I could never remember my ciggarette ration card when in the forces abroad! But Im sure local shops would soon remember who was licenced and not.Im sure it would be open to abuse as well. Same as the fag ration card and to a degree the buying and passing on of shotgun cartridges.Once again just because of admin issues doesnt mean its a no go.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i know that we all visit tackle shops and fisheries regularly and if we had to show the liecence everytime it would either become tedious or second nature but also regular visiters would be known by tackle shops and fisheries alike they could even keep a log to use as a look up table

should they not be sure or need to check of previous customers,in my area alone theres probably about 25 shops within 30 min travelling time that quite a few that even if they didn't know my name would recognise my face (most are still having therapy) and i'm sure would remember if i'd shown them my liecence.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I have to say that while the idea is well-meant, I worry about any change in the status of angling from right to privilege. Privileges are much more easily withdrawn than are rights. Laying recruitment to the sport subject to entry criteria controlled by bureaucrats also worries me. To kill off angling altogether one need only lobby to make the test progressively harder and harder; no primary legislation needed whatsoever.

Would you have to prove that any, bread, lucheon meat, cheese etc was for human consuption too?

Would we see, men in dark alleys selling illegal maggots and tackle, to unlisenced anglers?

I'm sorry for being so flipant, but I couldn't see the majority of anglers going for this.

I don't think the treatment of fish, by the majority of anglers is any worse than 50years ago, on the contrary, I think that there is more awarness today, and if every angler did their bit, by being more helpful to young and new anglers, instead of the p*** off leave me alone, attitude, I've seen in some, then then I think the need for a test, and the expence and bueaucracy that would go with it, is not neccessary.

Unless this a PR excercise to try and stave off the antis?

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I missed this - is there any real weight to these claims in the AT or just is it another story? I mean, is it really being taken seriously at 'national level'?

My tuppence worth is that it's laudable to want to ensure we all have the correct skills/outlook to be able to enjoy our hobby without causing damage to the environment, but it won't work in practice. I can see how a fishery owner could implement a mini scheme local to their water (similar to having to buy their pellets, etc.) but that's about as far as I can see it going. Rivers will remain the last stronghold of the free! :sun:

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I have to say that while the idea is well-meant, I worry about any change in the status of angling from right to privilege. Privileges are much more easily withdrawn than are rights. Laying recruitment to the sport subject to entry criteria controlled by bureaucrats also worries me. To kill off angling altogether one need only lobby to make the test progressively harder and harder; no primary legislation needed whatsoever.

Steve, I fully agree.

How, then. are standards to be raised. I know that on my local park lake, there are kids who come along not knowing how to set up a waggler float, and plumb a swim. The satisfaction I get from showing them - and getting them to show me that they have understood is actually greater than the pleasure I get from catching fish.

Equally, these same kids have since been seen showing others how to do it. There are few sports where help is so freely given. More's the pity.

I think an angling 'test' would, if introduced as a condition of permission to fish public water, be counterproductive in getting new people involved in the sport, and would rely on too much a leap of faith in those tasked with introducing such a scheme. Angling has often shot itself in the foot through self-interest in, for example, single species societies propagating the myth of superiority of their pet species over any other. Introducing a test would open the doors to even more self interest.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine