? Fishing Test

nursejudy

The lady who owns the lake was against fishing for a long time.

I think that the number of anglers she turned away was ott.

Most owners would be happy just to see some body wanting to fish there lakes this time of the year

If the owner could see fish be handed badly I could understand people being asked to leave.

If I was new to fishing I would go with some body who had been fishing for a long time to show me the ropes.

There are enough fishing DVDS and books for any newcomer to look at to put them on the right tracks

For anybody who has been fishing fo a a long time questions look easy to me.

I do not think that the test will ever come in because the cost will be to high.

Another question would be who would check to see if you have passed the test ?

I never see any bailiffs on the rivers in the area I live in.

Ian Flynn

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is going to set this exam? the only way you can do it would be to put out a questionaire and set the questions from there. Otherwise you can get get questions like "who held the record for the largest rod caught fish (fresh or salt water) in South Africa in 1961?"

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Two very good posts Budgie. The important thing is not whether an angler can catch fish (who, apart from the anglers themselves, cares whether they catch fish or not?) but how the fish are treated if caught, and how the angler interacts with the countryside.

A few of these things (how to report pollution, how to handle fish, etc) can be taught, but how do you "teach" people not to leave litter, not to leave gates open, not to take short-cuts through standing crops, not to leave rods unattended, not to have unleashed dogs with them, etc etc ??

Everyone could pass an "exam" on those basics, and they are mentioned on almost every club membership card in the country - but disregarded by far too many. The only sanction, loss of membership, is rarely used (clubs need the money, or as I have known happen, "the offender is second cousin to Joe, our deputy treasurer, who we don't want to upset")

and as Budgie implies "Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?" - where do all these instructors come from and who "trains" them?

...and don't get me started about the need to teach ramblers, dog-walkers, towpath cyclists, canoeists, casual picnickers et al, how to behave at the waterside - should they too take an "exam" ?

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Did anyone read the 'question paper' mocked up for the Angling Times article?

Offer a choice of three... two of which to anyone capable of reading the paper were obviously absurd. Is this reflective of AT's stance on the topic? Equally, if it has any basis in fact, what a wasteof time.

As with anything, there is a need for education, but having played other sports at a reasonable standard, I can speak with certainty when I say that anglers are the most generous of sportsmen when it comes to helping others.

If you make people sit a compulsory exam, social skills go out of the window, unless you're asking to borrow something - nobody will need to ask advice. 'I've passed my exam, q.e.d I know it all!'

The lady from the Angel of the North fishery must have a hell of a mind to qualify as a PAA coach in 3 months.... or the PAA are so desperate for members they'll lower their standards. If it's the latter, what recommendation is that to use their services?

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I think Alan you've hit the nail on the head. PAA accreditation as a coach from a position of a non fishing person to badge holder in three months kind of makes a mockery of the whole PAA ethos of passing on skills.

Now imagine that someone turns up at the waterside and pays their money and is then turned away over some percieved lack of skill by the PAA coach, just imagine how you would feel if after years of fishing you were lectured at by a complete novice when your own level of competence was actually many times greater. I'm not speaking from a personal experience but acting more as devil's advocate here.

I take out lots of kids and adults and introduce them into fishing , some drift away and some stay, those that stay go fishing on their own when they feel ready, the kids that I take(my own and family) all now do not require supervision and at 10 years old are adept at catching , unhooking and understand fish welfare and countryside codes. Does this make me less of a "coach" than someone who attends a PAA coarse and has the badge irrespective of fishing experience

Speaking personally I would reccommend Les Webbers approach to tuition or the Get Hooked on Fishing campaign rather than directing folk towards the PAA. I think the NFA have sadly missed the boat on this issue by promoting their own schemes rather than looking at what individuals can offer

I take out lots of kids and adults and introduce them into fishing , some drift away and some stay, those that stay go fishing on their own when they feel ready, the kids that I take(my own and family) all now do not require supervision and at 10 years old are adept at catching , unhooking and understand fish welfare and countryside codes. Does this make me less of a "coach" than someone who attends a PAA coarse and has the badge irrespective of fishing experience

Speaking personally I would reccommend Les Webbers approach to tuition or the Get Hooked on Fishing campaign rather than directing folk towards the PAA. I think the NFA have sadly missed the boat on this issue by promoting their own schemes rather than looking at what individuals can offer

To use Bob Bradford's turn of phrase, I 'had a bad gig' with a PAA coach, as they were interested in match anglers only. I contacted another and got pretty much the same spiel. Moreover, their methods of justifying their existence by traduction of people like Les Webber and others who truly get people interested in the sport means that things would have to be pretty damned desperate to get me to put money in that organisation's direction. If there are any PAA qualified coaches that browse and contribute to this site, I'd be pleased as punch to hear from them to prove me wrong.

There are people on this site I've fished with and have every reason to trust implicitly - which is good enough for me. I have neither the time nor the inclination to chase after those whose skills I have to take on trust because of their ability to qualify to teach people to fish after 3 months study.

wow 2 pages and my thread is still on topic and not a cross word...

judith

Well, not much that's positive has been said about the PAA, so you can't fault the accuracy of the thread, either! :)