light boxes

chesters1

there has been talk of these things in the past (i think Elton bought one)

i am going soon to redo my reel photo's which due to using a flash have the usual bright bits of the flash obscuring the more shiny bits and terrible shadows.

is the light box a viable option ,does it need special lights? and more importantly could a home made version be made (it appears to my amateur eyes just a "tent")

whilst on the subject what format do most publishers ask pictures to be in ,i can take RAW pics but only convert to TIF using the camera's software,so is TIF the best format to save the pics in for future use or is one of the scores of other options better?

would old fashioned transparencies be better than digital images (hopefully not although it would give the pentax a job) but with the usual just out of focus blues i get in closeup pics and the cost of film and processing :(

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Not sure what camera you use BUT you can take some pictures using a tripod and some plain white pecies of paper.

Use a longer exposure without flash. It should work for a budget option Lol.

As for tif. Its the BEST you can get, other than RAW. It doesnt make the file smaller so loose very little in the way of detail.

Joel

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

it appears to my amateur eyes just a "tent"

Thats because it is just a tent, albeit an indoor table top type. Here is a page which describes a DIY way to make one with advice on lighting etc etc Softbox

I've never had a go at making this although it is on the cards for this summer so I would be interested in how you get on with making one and also using it.

As JK has already said, using flash is out of the question due to bounce off shiny surfaces and a tripod is a must for those long exposures Its better to light the scene than to actually light the object.

Steve

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

hmmm that do-it yourself link looks good ,i guess pipe is on the list next payday thanks :):)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

We recently got one of the store-bought variety along with a pair of very bright fluoro lights and based on our results so far, I think it would do an outstanding job on your reels.

The DIY version should do equally well and while I haven't tried it, I suspect using it outside when the sun was shining might eliminate the need for the bright artificial lighting.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

you could be right Newt using ordinary bulbs there is a suptle colour change (maybe adjustable if i ever got out of auto) the mrs daylight bulb worked well but 40 watts isnt bright enough and at a £4 each more expensive than sunshine to use in all the lamps,now all we need is sunshine :rolleyes:

Gentlemen, If I may be so bold as to offer a blatant plug ;)

You will need a 'flicker free' lightbox as standard flourescent tubes may cause a banding effect when shooting digital. Where does the plug come in you ask?... www.lightboxes.co.uk is my company and we are the UK's leading lightbox manufacturer.. I'm pretty sure that I can offer Anglersnet members a very keen price on a pro quality correct lightbox.

Patrick, we'd be interested in buying a lightbox to photograph glass paperweights. Any suggestions and tips welcomed.

Newt, we got the links from Jan for the one you two bought - thanks.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I'm sure Patrick will correct me if I am wrong but I think his light boxes are of the type used for viewing slides and transparencies and/or used by pre-press services/repro houses in the print trade.

The differentiation here is to a light tent that is used to place objects inside to photograph, using whatever light source you like, wherever you want it and diffusing it throughout the scene.

Hope I got that right..:D

Steve

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Correct to a point, but we have just launched a new range of softbox type thing - they're just not on the website yet..whoops! That said, and like above, a number of people by one of our standard boxes and then use it as a lightsource with white material or card/paper.

These are also fitted with flicker free lightsources as to avoid banding with some digital cameras.

You also need to be aware if it is colour critical work which lights you have fitted and your monitor and output (printer) settings etc. Traditional film was made to be read @ 5000k (natrual daylight), the majority of todays digital systems and monitors are made to utilise 6500k (Northlight - slightly bluer daylight). This usually only has effect when being used within industry (printers, repro houses, labs etc) .. Then again, the whole issue of colour correct lighting gets blown wide open by a number of high street retailers using a lightsource which is 3700K (a very warm lightsource) as it matches their in-store lighting. Makes you look good when trying on clothes etc, but a green suit can 'turn' brown when you go outside etc.. still, I've digressed..

Then again, as no two people see the same colours, does it matter ;):D (I did'nt say that)