Live baiting question?

Guest kingfisher

It beggars belief that any of you are even debating this sort of outrageous suggestion. What's the betting this thread ends up as a quote on the PETA site? IMO the moderators should have removed this rot on first seeing it.

Poor form AN! :angry:

The edited version will, if they follow their usual tactics.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a huge distinction in using a fish or mammal as bait, I will not patronise you by explaining. If you think that that practice might be acceptable in the States, I can assure you Newt that it is NOT and would not ever be over here.

Rabbit - I was actually fishing in Canada when the issue of using frogs came up rather than in the US although I doubt it would be unacceptable down here in the lower 48 either.

Not to worry though. I have no intentions of violating UK customs or laws when I'm in the UK. The same applies when I am in any other foreign country because upsetting the locals anywhere is at best, a stupid thing to do and at worst, a dangerous thing to do.

I may not understand why driving on the left or VAT or keepnets or ritual cannibalism or spelling patronize with an "s" are all considered socially acceptable in the UK but they are. I feel I have two choices - either accept them while I'm there or stay away.

The same goes for practices that aren't acceptable to you folks. I will try to avoid them as long as I'm aware of them. If I happen to do a thing that is against the local custom, all it will take is some reasonable person pointing it out and I will cease, forthwith.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I know free speech is good, and that we shouldnt change our ways too much to please the right people. but this post is abit risky, i mean how many people do actually livebait with mice? I dont, I couldnt slide a treble into its back as it was trying to bite me. Ok, i live bait with fish, like many people, but if outsiders hear about livebaiting with mice, there are going to think it is common practice, when really its just one or two people.

dont let people get the wrong idea. how can we be sure anti's arent looking at this site silently?

dave

how can we be sure anti's arent looking at this site silently?

The fact is, you can be 100% sure that some are looking at the site and that most of those will only be reading/lurking.

You can also be 100% sure that absolutely nothing you can say will pacify those folks unless you blindly attack everything they disagree with. I see myself as having two basic choices. I can either self-censor my speech and behavior to try (and fail) to appease them or I can ignore them until they do (or attempt to do) something outrageous and then fight their attempt in some appropriate fashion.

I don't know about anyone else but I refuse to live my life making any attempt to appease any group of folks I consider to be wrongheaded, narrow minded, arrogant idiots.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I think it is a ridiculous idea and the antis would have a field day.

I have livebaited but choose now not to do so , I think it is a very disrespectful way to treat fish. I am also very pleasantly surprised when I see now many people I meet who also do not livebait.

As with the mouse - just cause it works doesnt make it right !! dynamite also works !!!!!

I hope you are just on to take the mick :angry:

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

I don't know about anyone else but I refuse to live my life making any attempt to appease any group of folks I consider to be wrongheaded, narrow minded, arrogant idiots.

i can see where you are coming from.

but i still think theres a danger of the minority getting the majority tarred with the wrong brush.

Edited by david t

My objection to livebaiting does not involve the "pain argument" but slowly drowning a baitfish cannot be pleasant for it because I dont think it is disputed that they feel distress - indeed some people think it is the distress signals which attract the predator !!

Again it is up to the individual what they think is acceptable I wouldnt ban it but would hope that people think about it rather than do it because it works.

Ps I also think pole fishing is the "devils work" - works too bloody well and they always outfish me :)

Opinionated - me - nah !!!!!!!!!!

Tight line folks

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

Guest Josh Iddon
But in principle, where is the difference in feeding snakes or pike with live mice?

Im fairly sure that feeding live mice to snakes is illegal? And the difference is that you dont have to hook the mouse or drown it, cast it out or cause the mouse unneccessary pain (unneccessary pain as in the snake would only take live food)

Pike will eat mice of that Im in no dout, they will also take voles, frogs newts, toads small ducklings and anything else they can get into their mouths.

But just because they eat a multitude of things doesnt mean they should be used as bait.

It is moraly wrong to even surgest it on this forum.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!