How do you Transport yours.....

Soon to be the owner of a said Kayak, I am now needing to get it around, I have a Renault Trafic Van only a short wheel base so it cant fit in the back, however I can get roof bars (hopefully) i dont really want the full roof rack as i want to take the bars off when not transporting the Yak (i can then get through the barriers on the Mersey Tunnel :lol: ) but searching around i have found that there are cradles for yaks etc, or is it perfectly safe on just the roof bars ?

Chris

Sure Chris ---just make sure your bars are good quality and shes tied down tight. If you're really worried pass the straps through the scupper holes .Happy fishing with your Scrambler--richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

HIya Chris

If you dont do the above you can always try my way. Under a Roller! :cry:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hi after trying to get mine on and off a high 4x4 and almost taking of a door mirror a few times with the 2 person kayak I have ordered a side loading rack from the US. It as mixed reviews but worth a try. If it works I will have a set of Thule roof bar kayak pads up for sale. will know in a week or so, terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

1" Ratchet Straps (5M long) are great for firmly affixing the yak to the bars but try and hide them behind the roof bars when runing them across the van; if you leave them out in the wind and they start to resonate the noise can be horrendous. The lifting handles are useful places to run the straps through too. Pipe lagging round the roof bars is an obvious solution to protecting yak and bars but they wear out quickly and soon look scruffy. You can get a top box on the roof bars and a yak but there is a guy on e-bay who manufactures and sells vertical bars that attach to roof bars to fix the yak on its side and that it more efficient.

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

1" Ratchet Straps (5M long) are great for firmly affixing the yak to the bars but try and hide them behind the roof bars when runing them across the van; if you leave them out in the wind and they start to resonate the noise can be horrendous. The lifting handles are useful places to run the straps through too. Pipe lagging round the roof bars is an obvious solution to protecting yak and bars but they wear out quickly and soon look scruffy. You can get a top box on the roof bars and a yak but there is a guy on e-bay who manufactures and sells vertical bars that attach to roof bars to fix the yak on its side and that it more efficient.

Hiya Moonyaker.

If you put a twist in your strap(the long straight bit that runs behind the roof bar) You will get no noise :thumbs:

B4 I was told about that it sounded like someone drilling through my roof if I went over 40mph.

Now I have gone up to 60 with no noise at all.

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif