I hate braid . . . but I have an open mind?

Guest Silver Back

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Cliff

You will love it

Once you have used braid there is no turning back.

I tend to stick to Dynon 3000 mainly because I have a 100 per cent confidence in it. There are thinner braids but unless your fishing in really fast tides then the bit of extra thickness just gives you a little more abrasive resistance over super braids

I use the same stuff ian tryed plenty of othere braids but always go back to dynon 3000 i buy it for £22 for the 540 metre spools ,use it for pirking and jellying great sport would never use nylon again.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Although I am a convert and agree with you that I would never use nylon again the one time I found braid lacking was drifting over really rough ground off Sunderland sticking it hard on the bottom.

The rod was going mad bumping over the colums of ground. My mate couldnt understand why I wasnt striking as it looked like I was getting great bites and it was irritating but later when the bites really started as the tide moved hard there was no mistake and my mate ended up flying kites and totally losing touch with what was happening whilst I had a fish a drop. Dynon is the best in my opinion

Dynon is a good braid but i change it quite regular as it sometimes get damaged when wrecking especially when you are bait fishing wrecks ,but i wouldnt use anything else used it for about 10 years and it has actually got cheaper than when it first came on the market.

Untitled-1.jpg

Even with braid there is quite a difference in brands. Fireline is very thick for braid, and this makes it virtually indestructible. The smooth coating makes it the ideal beginner's braid. PowerPro is widely held to be the best compromise of diameter and reliability. I personally use Whiplash/WhiplashPro because I need the thinnest braid I can get due to the ridiculous tides I fish in. I used to use 30lb but found it unreliable, so have now moved to 50lb which is still thinner than 15lb mono. Whatever you do, don't buy anything stronger than 50lb, you can't break it! I use the 50lb so I can fish 25lb trace and still get back some of my rig if I snag up. Saves time when the feeding period is only 1 hour.

So to sum up, go buy some 20lb fireline and see how you get on. You will not go back to mono once you've used braid. For an example, I can bounce a 6oz lead along the bottom in 230ft of water quite happily on 30lb braid, my mate using 20lb mono could only feel a 10oz lead touch bottom once.

Has anyone had any experience of the new Dynon MCT or XF? they look quite promising.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

You will not go back to mono once you've used braid. For an example, I can bounce a 6oz lead along the bottom in 230ft of water quite happily on 30lb braid, my mate using 20lb mono could only feel a 10oz lead touch bottom once.

Has anyone had any experience of the new Dynon MCT or XF? they look quite promising.

As I said before, there are situations where braid will be far superior to mono. Using a 6oz lead in 230ft of water may be one of them. But for bouncing a 1/2oz lead across the bottom in 15 feet of water, I just can't see the point.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I use braid exclusively for spinning (Fireline), but use mono in my beachcatsers. Have been thinking about braid in them as well, but a birds nest in a baitcater is different to that in a beachcaster mutliplier, especially as I tend to use the beachcater gear at night!

I think it would be good in the surf and in some of the rougher marks, but reckon you would need to hold your rod, rather than leaving it in a rod rest, to avoid losing it in swell.

Would be interested if anyone has used it from the shore for congers?

Wurzel- what was the line you were referring to?

B.A.S.S. member

Even with braid there is quite a difference in brands. Fireline is very thick for braid, and this makes it virtually indestructible. The smooth coating makes it the ideal beginner's braid. PowerPro is widely held to be the best compromise of diameter and reliability. I personally use Whiplash/WhiplashPro because I need the thinnest braid I can get due to the ridiculous tides I fish in. I used to use 30lb but found it unreliable, so have now moved to 50lb which is still thinner than 15lb mono. Whatever you do, don't buy anything stronger than 50lb, you can't break it! I use the 50lb so I can fish 25lb trace and still get back some of my rig if I snag up. Saves time when the feeding period is only 1 hour.

So to sum up, go buy some 20lb fireline and see how you get on. You will not go back to mono once you've used braid. For an example, I can bounce a 6oz lead along the bottom in 230ft of water quite happily on 30lb braid, my mate using 20lb mono could only feel a 10oz lead touch

The dynon mct and xf are nowhere as good as the original used them both straight back on the white.

Untitled-1.jpg

It really comes down to personal s choice, I have used braid along with a fixed spool reel and a long rod for the past twelve months and had my best season ever, there is no way that I would revert to my pendulum rod and multiplier.

The system allows the use of lighter shock leaders and lighter longer traces which has resulted in far more fish and more importantly far more enjoyment as you actually see the bites and feel the fish.

I use is Maxximus braid, 8.70kg which has a diameter of just 0.06mm for clean beaches and step up to 15.50kg, 0.14mm for rough ground. What is also interesting, since I have been using braid my tackle losses have been dramatically reduced. Like any new gear it took a couple of moths to get to grips with, the only time I now revert to mono is when you have lot of floating weed along with a strong tidal pull as the direct pull on the braid will just pull the sinker from its anchorage

Mmm, Interesting replies. The mind is still open, see the obvious deep water application. However, a lot of the light tackle fishing I will be doing will be in 5-25ft of water, anchored and drifting. I can see Steves point, 'is it worth it?', and I can see the other side of the coin. I have tried braid a couple of years back. The problems I found were fish looes seemed to go up. I also used a short 18lb mono leader, the braid would cut through this leader at the knot after a few sessions.

:sun: I fished last season regularly with two friends, both used braid on light, single handed bait casting type rods, by the end of the season one had changed to conventional mono all round the other had swaped over to 'Iron Silk' as a half way house. The reason, when drifting they were regularly loosing fish very soon after hook up, when anchored bottom fishing, they found it difficult to know when the fish was comitted to taking the bait, and struck (I know, leaned into the fish) to soon. At all times, very light rods were used.

:huh: My feeling at present; with the 6lb class rod I am proposing, to partner it with a 6000 size reel, have two spools and see which line type I favour. I fancy the idea of 'Iron Silk' as a halfway house, anyone got any views? Also anyone got any sugestions on the reel, needs a line lay and a reasonable size power style handle, I canot cope with the cotton reel style reel/handle so often on offered. Abu fit their smaller reels with decent handles nowadays, but, devoted to my six older 7000's as I am, I would prefer a choice on the baitcasting size as experiances have not been so good with small Abu's? :(

CJS2 :ph34r: