Henry who?

spasor

red D - thanks for the response. And since I never see any of these folks I will certainly take your word for it - all of it.

As I tried to say earlier, my only real problem (and this is general with all posts) is the sweeping generalizations that sweep up with way too wide a broom. And your post happened to catch me on a day when a couple of US-based carp lists had been full of the same sort of thing except that stuff had been lots nastier. For any oldtimers on here, oatmealjack was, as usual, in the thick of it but he seemed the voice of reason by comparison to many. (Hi Jack, if you are lurking these days).

But Baywatch is all factual isn't it? Or Boobwatch as it is often known. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adz:

Originally posted by fshdave:

[qb]

the men who wear old gear but i can't remember their names

I think you mean Chris Yates and Bob James - the series was "A Passion for Angling"... well worth a watch if you haven't seen them.

They're the ones - they are good, I agree. Back to basics stuff

quote:

There's a few others, Paul Young and his "Hooked on... " series (plural) is another good one, mostly game fishing but he went after huge Skate off Scotland a while back too, again highly recommended.

Cheers,[/qb]

The "Minnows to Monsters" episode of "Hooked" was particulary good, still the biggest fish caught in UK waters while filming an Angling Programme... the guy that tok him out in his Shetland 535 was a bit of a numpty though :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

[ 24. November 2002, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

I enjoy watching Angling shows on TV, where you can see that the presenter is thourghly enjoying his days fishing, adds a little hummor, and gives you information that is memorable, without them coming across to full of themselves.

I have watched Henry Gilbey a few times over the past few weeks, and think his show is pretty good, I enjoyed his Ray fishing from the boat one a few weeks ago, and his shore fishing one for Ballan Wrasse at the weekend. I dont think he thinks 100% before he says some things though, and comes out with some daft things, as well as seeming pretty dull. But I think is show is generally OK.

My favourite show is Paul Young's Hooked on Fishing though (not that since I am also Scottish)... I just really enjoy his show, apart from when he is fishing for farmed freak fish (Rainbow Trout). I find him funny, and really into what hes doing.

Incidentally, Davy .. what was the biggest fish thats been caught on an Angling Programme? I know my mates were up Scrabster the year before last Shark Fishing, and they filmed a Portbeagle been caught ... which was VERY impressive, and seemenly thats one of the biggest fish caught on video camera been caught in British waters.

Back to the subject of Henry Gilbey, was he featured in the Sea Angler magazine many many months ago (front page maybe)? also showing pictures of him rock hopping with his rod in his hand, with the sea crashing against the rocks??? with no apparent safety aids (inflatable life jacket etc) ... I'm not a person who really takes any moral stances, but when I remember seen this, I thought this was a terrible example to be setting to kids as it looked so dangerous.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

when henry gilbey says cod dont fight. i agree, alright they may take some reeling in when they open their bucket of a mouth, but as for a fight well i had harder times reeling in the dreaded seaweed fish.And as for him not knowing he happens tobe or was the southwest of england record holder with a cod of 35lbs from the shore.

• 1 month later...

With all this 'discussion' about Mr Gilby ( and I must admit I dont like his articles in SA) THANK GOD I DONT HAVE SKY TV :D

PS You also have the greatest censor of all time. TURN THE DAMNED IDIOT BOX OFF!!!!!!!!! :D:P

[ 05. January 2003, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Ian Bass ]