Moving Ducks...

chris mc

Does anyone know of any decent methods of getting rid of ducks when fishing in about 4 ft deep water ,my last two sessions have been ruined due to ducks diving and taking my lose feed/hook bait.It's only when ledgering i have this problem as sometimes there to far away to spook with just noise or the raise of arms.

Cheers.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot the buggers! :spiteful:

No, no, no only joking!!! :headhurt:

I often find the best way is to pult some decoy bait in away from yours and anyone elses swim. The ducks will swim over to investigate all the bait that's gone in giving you the chance to sneak your baited hook and feed or whatever into your chosen swim.

Chris, there is no easy way! Remember, you're fishing where they live and any grub you stick in they will feel they're perfectly entitled to help themsleves to.

If they're close by, try tempting them up on to the bank with a few loose offerings to keep them occupied (no bread though, it's not good for them). They'll generally hang around hopefully once it's gone and they may well have forgotten about the stuff you've dumped in the water.

But generally, if hungry ducks have found your bait, there's no easy way deterring them until it's all gone. I find swans are the worst for determination when clearing up shallow groundbait - they really hang on in there.

Our chief weapon is surprise

Had this problem a few years ago. Best way I found to deal with it, was to lure the Ducks to the bank, then ladle Hemp in the margins & if you could get them up onto the bank even better. Ducks absolutely love Hemp & will spend hours getting every last seed out of the margins or grass.

I didn't know bread was bad for Ducks, if it is, the ducks on the Tees at Stockton are in serious bother they live on the stuff!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

If u clap and make a noise (sorry i cant describe the noise) they sometimes move. If this doesnt work catapult a few boilies at their heads. :angry: Then they ite get the idea!

Apparently (and this is according to my local wildlife reserve) bread is indigestible for ducks and, although they will eat and eat the stuff, it just bloats them out and carries no natural nutrients for them.

Feeding of bread is banned at the Harrold Odell Country Park near me, in fact they make available small pots of seeds and stuff if people really want to feed 'em.

When you consider that their natural diet is vegetation and small invertebrates, it makes sense I suppose.

Our chief weapon is surprise

Apparently (and this is according to my local wildlife reserve) bread is indigestible for ducks and, although they will eat and eat the stuff, it just bloats them out and carries no natural nutrients for them.

Feeding of bread is banned at the Harrold Odell Country Park near me, in fact they make available small pots of seeds and stuff if people really want to feed 'em.

When you consider that their natural diet is vegetation and small invertebrates, it makes sense I suppose.

Would it be any help to them if you put peanut butter on the bread first?

Would it be any help to them if you put peanut butter on the bread first?

Hmm, making sandwiches for the ducks - I think you'll just end up getting more of the blighters rather than scare them off ;)

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

Ducks are quite simply omnivores, It'll be a pretty safe bet that they can eat & digest just about anything.

I've never seen them refuse any sandwich I've offered them, never made a boilie they wouldn't eat, they love any sort of pastry, any particle you'd care to name is delicious to them, & lastly you want to see them knock back deadbaits!!!!

Pain in the @rse really, but you have to admire any creature that can handle it's food like a Duck.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.