Best thing for a cold?

Guest Ferret1959

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things I always suggest. The first has a scientific basis. The second just seems to work. Not a cure but certainly shorten the time until you are over it in almost every case I've seen.

1. Take a long, very hot bath. Keep the water as hot as you can tolerate without burning and keep yourself covered up to the neck for about 30 minutes. This will raise your body temperature and most of the illness-causing viruses in humans hate higher temps.

Immediately after you get out of the bath and dry off, climb into bed and load yourself with covers. The idea here being to maintain the 'fever' you induces via the hot bath. You will sweat like a pig but no matter. Spend at least a couple of hours with way too much covers on.

2. Eat lots and lots of chicken soup. Best if it is really made from broth of boiled chicken rather than the various canned things.

I also like to start taking a heavy load of Vitamin C for a few days. 6 thousand to 12 thousand mg per day is about right but basically, take enough that when you pee, it is a nice bright yellow colour so you'll know you've taken all your body can use and a little extra. C is water soluble so you can't overdose on it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I was once told a good remedy to cure the common cold

Make everyone self employed

Those that are will know what I mean

Spot on. 4 years not a days illness that has kept me from my work. Last time I was to ill to work I was in hospital for a week and got a right telling off from Dr. for packing my bags and making for the exit without permission.

Friend was off for 3 weeks after a ping pong ball hit her on the head. :lol:

I don't get many colds, reckon I've had 2 in the last 5 1/2 years.

What's the best thing for it? :cry::cold:

Practise Catch and Release Ferret :lol:

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

i use beachums max strenght and carry one like a good little soldier ,then collapse moaning and sweaty thus getting sympathy and a cuppa from the mrs

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I believe that the only cure they found at Porton Down that had any benefit was those big zinc tablets, apparently if taken at onset it reduces the duration by 50% thats what I read anyway. Cure at School was a game of rugby!

See here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/502943.stm and here

http://www.numarkpharmacists.com/nw04/risk...emedy021204.htm

dan

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

I make what the family call "a sweaty". A hot beefy drink ie bovril/oxo type, add pepper, worchestershire sauce and chilli powder, drink it hot before bed, you sweat like a pig, but I always feel better next day.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John