Mullet Season 2006

Matt Baldwin

Another 2 mullet today but unfortuately still none over 4lb. Got to double figures now though at least with the number of fish caught but I'm not counting the amount of visits any more!

Went out for the mullet yesterday afternoon. Ledgered bread. No mullet, but did have one little bass (about 6 oz) so technically I blanked again. Maybe this PM will be better.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six and three Quarters in june 2004 on floating crust.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Six and three Quarters in june 2004 on floating crust.

Another 3 fish came to the net today taking my total to that unlikey figure of 13. The best was 3 10 0Z again and fought like stink. It got passed the pontoons on some crazy runs and I thought I was going to loss it but I was using that green Korum line as main line and it seemed to be very abrasive resistant as it rubbed alot against the pontoons but didn't give. Other lines definately have so either I was lucky or the line definately works. Despite Mike Channons comments today that it looked like green rope!

It was quite a long fish and I did thing it was going to be at least 4lb and was therefore a bit disappointed. Great day on the whole and a really warm sunny one as well.

Another small one today 21b but at least its getting more consistant with the warmer weather I feel like I am almost guaranteed to get it least one on every visit. Prehaps I shouldn't have said that! :)

You just know you're gonna regret saying that. Well done mate, at least you have passed 13 now.

TL

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

You just know you're gonna regret saying that. Well done mate, at least you have passed 13 now.

TL

With just 3 hours to play with today I managed 2 fish 3lb & 3lb 5oz. Both in the same swim and about 10 mins after each other which does seem very rare. But they just didn't seem easierly spooked tonight. Need one over 4lb now to really start testing my playing skills!

:sun:

• 2 weeks later...

Whats happened to all you mullet guys have you given up already? Took another small one tonight fished on a high tide and decieded to fish deeper than I usually do about 10 feet using some bulk shot and hit a fish almost striaght away. Feed liquidised bread dampened down with some water striaght over my float and this produced almost an instant take. Missed a couple as well!

Come on guys! surely I am not the only person catching whats happening to you all?

NUMBER 17 Now by the way.

out for 2 3hr sessions at the weekend. 3 fish landed all on the small side. 2lb, 3-06 & 3-11. 3 lost as well. 2 just came of and 1 snapped hook snood. had to pull hard as it was headed to a tree stump.

warm weather seems to have activated scottish mullet

Im always happy to catch a mullet what ever the size, when I first started to learn how to catch them just to get them feeding was enough to make me smile!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I've managed one trip this year and, to be honest, found it as frustrating as usual :(

I've caught mullet before, last one in December, but never with any consistency. My problem is striking. I can get them feeding and going for my bread bait but I really struggle hooking them. Most of the time they have the bread off the hook and away. When I do manage to hook one it more often than not comes out as the hook was never properly set.

I'll keep going, however, as it's very addictive and I know I can catch them but I suppose the more often I go the more I'll learn.

Always amazed by the number of other anglers who tell me I'm wasting my time or that they don't know why I bother!