wrecking trip sat 27th

fudd

cheers anyway guys

still a few days to go keep my fingers crossed

toerag-the five blokes who let me down i fish with on a regular basis so deposits are never used,but 1 by 1 they left messages on my phone over the last 3 days maybe thinking if i drop out its only one space to fill,but as a collective im in the doo do now

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toerag I have booked trips for friends etc for years and I can assure you if you waited till 10 people paid their deposits you would never be able to book a trip. And what if you wanted to book 10 trips , who will give you a couple of hundered up front ??.

I dont have the answer and suspect there isnt one. I personally book about 12 trips a year for friends and some recently for Anglers Netters. I am rarely let down because I know the people.

One source of annoyance to me is that although the skippers like to get the business they really are not interested when I am let down they rarely share the problem.

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

I know the feeling when let down like that. It's realy frustrating. I booked a trip with Scooby doo 2 last feb and was let down at the last min by four of the six going. Spoke to the Skipper about the dilemer and he was very helpfull and let it go as a half day booking instead of a full 12 hrs.

peterthefisherman:

Toerag One source of annoyance to me is that although the skippers like to get the business they really are not interested when I am let down they rarely share the problem.

:cool: You are right in some cases, but when we had a problem with numbers once, the skipper treated it as an individuals day and charged per head and got a couple of anglers to make up the numbers. So some do try, but not all. :D

Cliff?

I`m up in bonnie Scotland with John this weekend.

As for deposits? On the few occasions I`ve asked for them, they`ve arrived within the week, or appologoes sent for a non-arrival!

Take this years Weymouth-Dartmouth week. All deposits except for one, were recieved within days of the person requesting a place! These were a deposit of a few hundred quid (non-refundable), so any lightweights were soon off the list.

Myself? Hardly ever get asked for a deposit. I couldn`t look a mate in the face, if, after having to miss a booked trip, I didn`t pay up.

Some folk grab every space going, only to let the organiser down later. Maybe the odd, judicious demand for a deposit from shakey individuals (non-refundable), may be in order?

Of course. I you want one from me, I`ll be a tad miffed!! But you`ll still recieve it within a few days. And I wouldn`t feel bad after the initial shock had worn off. :rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

From a skippers point of view guys we get every one in the book,

The best had to go to work cant make it thats fine your going to work but i am not, you booked the trip and i have turned people away now that really makes my blood boil,

Cars broke down 4 booked so we cant come oh is there only one driver and car now we know that is crap ,

But the list is endless when you make a booking with a skipper when he takes a deposit that means he is only taking that deposit to stop him booking somebody else, the trip still has to be paid for its like you going to work and after a 10hr shift your gaffer saying to you sorry we can only pay you for 5hrs now that is on the foot you would go off it guys it gets very frustating you can often tell when its genuine or bull but we do give to much leeway at times .

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Yes Big Cod I fully understand what you are saying. However sometimes I feel that the skippers dont appreciate that the guys who book the trips are really doing a booking agents job for them. When it works 9 times out of 10 we have given them plenty work. When I am let down it is me and the guys who do turn up (the good guys) who are penalized.

I dont have the answer as the wrong people suffer (including the skipper).

Many boat prices have gone up well above the rate of inflation (I know the regulations have put their costs up ) but whereas we used to be able to take 6 or 8 anglers now you are looking for 10 at times and this is hard to get.

The sad result is that I now book less trips than I used to and only use skippers who are prepared to come and go with us.

What we dont have very often up here is skippers who take individuals. This would help.

Peter

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

Peter i do take individuals i have a lot of customers who are 1ss and 2ss, and i do feel sorry for the guys who get let down by there so called comrades but do they give you the money when they let you down no they would let you coff up and that just isn/t fair to you,had some guys earler on this week did/nt send there deposit so booked another group of lads on but had the check to turn up on the pontoon did/nt ring in and expected me to just take them but the boat had been refilled i dont think they will do that again the organizer got a ****ing of the other guys the thing is if i had/nt have refilled the boat i could have been sat twidling my thumbs ,but some people dont relize you are actually doing this job for a living and have massive overheads.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg