The Winter Grayling thread

Paulg

It's a bit early in the season yet for Grayling fishing but the talk about the loss of one day ticket venue, Timsbury, got me thinking that along with the Autumn Perch thread we could do with one to cover the Lady of the Stream :)

Hoping that this winter we might at least get onto the rivers, as most of the ones I fish were totally flooded last winter. I guess the good side to that is that the fish may not have seen a maggot for a while!

The one below I really, really, hope to beat this winter....2lb 15oz from Jan 2012.

6762399279_f583e70e14_o.jpg

• Like 2

We had the same problem with the rivers we fish for grayling, they where to high and murky for any grayling fishing last year. I'm hopeing to get a few sessions in this season but it's a case of fingers crossed for some decent conditions.

I did have an absolute clonker not long after the season opend on a local river, pretty much a repeat of last year when in a swim 100yds downstream I'd had another clonker. It's just sheer luck if I catch one on that river and i've only ever caught three from it in many years.

Oh forgot to say...Nice fish Paul and should be an interesting thread :thumbs:

Edited by Tigger

i had a lovely grayling on the dry fly earlier in the week, getting on towards a couple of pound from a stretch on the hampshire avon whilst trout fishing, was my biggest one yet, they are a beautiful fish and they certainly can put up a good fight on light fly tackle.

yeh ,I'd like another crack at L.I.F ,I lost a big chub last time (still rankles me ,I hate loosing chub) and I never did get up to the top section .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I only ever fish the same swim on the LIF! but as IO only get there once a year why not! tempted to fight Anderoo over the "Roach swim" but its just too noisey for me! When we first started gouing there the Grayling were massive though weren't they! My first LIF fish was 3lb 4ozs couldn't believe it! ther fish kill they had a season or so after did nock out these real lumps a bit but still very good average size. Even on days the Grayling weren't that abundant in the swim my mate the 4lb Chub would always put in an appearance!

ItchenChub3.jpg

No idea if it was the same one each year but always welcome!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!