The Winter Grayling thread

Paulg

Chris, i've had the waders and boots for ages but never got round to using 'em due to the convenience of my thigh waders. I've been told off other people that the felt soles are good on slippy rocks but not so good on grass bankings. I was surprised to find they where fine on steep grass banks and I never had even the smallest of slipps. The waders and boots are Greys GRXI's, how long they last will be interesting to see, i'm hoping it'll be a long time !

Good grass banks are fine with felt soles, its the mud you need to watch out for. It can be like ice.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Good grass banks are fine with felt soles, its the mud you need to watch out for. It can be like ice.

Thank's for the tip Brian, i'm gonn'a screw a few studs in to try and help against slips on grass banks etc, although I can't imagine them helping in muddy conditions. I suppose it'll be a case of walking on egg shells when on muddy banks :unsure: .

Have to say that Trotting is my favourite method of fishing, but with an increasingly bad back, I find I have to sit down now to trot a float, do you think this limits your trotting skills or is it just me ?

Bob

Shouldn't think it would limit your skills. Maybe more tests them given that it will probably limit where you can fish and how much you can move about.

I'm not sure if its my poor grayling ability, but I always find it hard to keep a peg going very long for grayling. Even on good sized rivers I tend to take a very mobile approach. With a few fish from here and there and nothing like my other coarse fish trotting were I can spend all afternoon in a peg catching away (if i'm lucky).

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I think it does limit the ability a bit Bob, but then again that very much depends on the type of river you are fishing. If it is like the Kennet, then building up a swim for a whole day of fishing doesn't tend to work IMHO, very much a case of moving from swim to swim, so having the bad back limits this. Whereas, fishing perhaps somewhare like the middle Trent, I've found the tactic of moving swims actually works against me.....much better to find a good swim, and then feed, and feed, and feed, and get the fish to come to you.

And then on the actual fishing, I personally find trotting can be a lot harder when sat down...again though this can be very dependant on swim selection.

Know exactly how you feel...I have similar issues.

As for grayling lutra, I don't think it is down to your ability, I think its down to the species, my thinking is that grayling shoals are not like massive numbers that you can get in say a shoal iof roach, and so after a while you'll spook them having caught a few, so you need to move and find another one.

P.

I usually move about, but I do remember one day on the Tone at Taunton when I had a fish pretty much every trot from one swim for the whole afternoon, mostly grayling.

What about when we used to regularly match fish rivers? There are a few rivers out East Yorkshire way that have a good head of grayling, and they made up a large percentage of the catch. I found that although the shoal spooked, if you kept putting feed in, then it wasn't long before they started feeding again, or another shoal moved in. It was rare to have them feeding for the whole 4 or 5 hours, but you'd get 3 or 4 good spells during the course of a match. The annoying thing was/is that the best feeding spell was usually brought to a halt by the final whistle!

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Thanks Lads,

I just find it more difficult to mend the line etc. sitting down, I fish rivers like the Test, Itchen and Lea mainly and use to get great pleasure from standing up and trotting the swim.

But as needs must these days I would rather sit down than not trot at all, getting old !!

Bob