big eye tuna caught at christchurch bay

stavey

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

90% certain it's a juvenile bigeye, very dificult to be sure with the babies and very sad that if it is a bigeye, it will only be 18 months old. Perhaps one of your local conservationists could check out the rules of sale in the UK, but under ICCAT (covering Atlantic tunas) the sale of juvenile fish is prohibited.

On another note our local rag here in Cape Town has as a coincidence, the following:

"According to boat anglers who have been fishing off Cape Point, the warm water in the deep still shows signs of plenty of different kinds of bait fish around.

These fish should attract the Marlin and Dorado and other types of warm water game fish.

In fact, there was a Marlin strike in the deep water off Cape Point. Mike Casserley of the Gordon's Bay Boat Angling Club hooked and played a large Marlin for quite some time during the weekend and had the pleasure of seeing the fish leap out of the water a number of times, before it parted the line. This Marlin strike apparently occurred a short distance off Cape Point.

Fin-S had a charter on Monday morning and fished in the deep off Cape Point where they managed to catch three smallish Yellowfin, a number of Longfin Tuna, a few Skipjack and their quota of Yellowtail coming back past Cape Point.

Also on Monday Wicked Lady, fishing 37 miles west of Hout Bay, had an excellent haul of Longfin Tuna - the count for the morning was 83 fish."

Firstly it is rather late for us to pick up so many longfin and also blue / black marlin strikes are very rare. Maybe I must swop the tuna gear for some 80lb marlin sticks

:D

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

• 5 years later...

So, when's the tuna run this year? :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Interesting that after all the argy-bargy they settled the ID as Big-eye Tuna - which is what I said at post 23 !

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

So, when's the tuna run this year? :D

From what I've heard the West Irish coast has been getting a few Longfin tuna in recent years. If it becomes a regular thing I might make a trip. I fancy having a go at 20-30lb mackerel :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Don't know why but I always thought the Irish West coast tuna were blue fin

South-west apparently, the Bluefin's are further north according to this. Either will do, honest :D

http://www.wreckfish.com/albacore.htm

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• 4 weeks later...