Poll, would you eat coarse fish?

Guest Josh Iddon

Coarse fish  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Would you eat coarse fish?

• Yes.
    • No.

:clap:

Despite being quite catholic in my tastes (er you got to be to reach 25 Stone!) I draw the line at eating whole fried bleak like the French do! When you think about the crap them foriegners eat eh? :o:D

As Ive said Ive eaten Carp (not impressed but did it just to rebel against the Crap Yobs really) Also had Pike (from a trout reservoir and made into fish cakes with cheese and garlic sauce yum) and Catfish in Spain (Ive eat worse! but then you should try my Mrs's Lasagne :yucky: )

Each time Ive tried freshwater fish Ive sort of felt that it was only right as a lifetime angler to do so at least once.Strange you may think.

I have though NEVER EVER been tempted to try the bream or roach I often used to see on German market stalls though!

If I actually really liked any of these fish would I kill them regularly to eat? Honestly I dont know.Maybe I would adopt a similar attitude to what I do with cod, I like cod and when they were plentiful I happily killed any that I damaged whilst catching whilst returning many more others.Yet Bass (even though great to eat) I have always in general returned.Yes if I had a liking for Perch I think I would be happy taking the occaisional fish of a sensible size.By sensible I mean a good eating size and a size which was plentifull in the waters I targeted.As such I cant really critisise thoughs who do.

Reality is, that most of the freshwater fish our continental and eastern european jewish cousins eat is just not to our taste. Its what you grow up with. I once went to a top drawer nigerian wedding and the nosh had me dry retching in the toilet whilst the rest of the guests were complimenting the chef.

Carp tasts muddy whichever way you cook it...not too far removed from the taste of an overweight stockie rainbow. Most of the silver fish are just plain unappetizing. . Pike was always a Xmas treat for me in Norfolk. Bernard Matthews wasn't around in them days. :) Don't eat them now. Beyond 6/7 lbs they become tasteless but its the smell on the skin and my hands that puts me off eating pike. Some fish are however exceptional and are worth a try just once....if you're curious.

Didn't have your 'eating teeth' in then Gerry?

Martin G. borrowed them. Check out his last fishy picture...he's wearing them.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've voted "yes" to "would you eat coarse fish?". I will add though, that if the question had been "Do you eat coarse fish?" or "Are you planning to eat coarse fish?" I'd have voted "no".

And I voted "yes" and would further vote "yes" to all three, if they were up to vote.

I ate fresh walleye last night, delicious.

I ate perch all winter, taken mainly through the ice.

Once in a blue moon. Strangely though, I had a Seafood Thermidor (shellfish) in a restaurant just last night.

Might take a few bass, possibly a sole if I can locate them this year.

Wouldn't mind a Thornback in the next few weeks if I can get the boat out.

Pray tell.

It is just that as a rule, I don't eat fish at all. Once in a blue moon I'll have haddock and chips from the chippie, and I love fresh mackerel on the barbie, and I once ate a perch at a wedding in France. I had to it was my wedding! I do however wish to retain the RIGHT to take a fish wheter it be a sea fish or fresh water fish.

What's the difference to you between eating a bass, sole or thornback and eating a perch? Thats the bit I can't get my head around :blink:

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Guest rabbit
The result is about what I expected to see.

Sorry Nick I just dont believe it and I demand a re-count!!! What about the spoiled votes, could some members have voted for eating coarse fish and would never do so unless insane? I am not going to admit defeat so there :bleh::bleh::bleh:

Edited by rabbit

• 3 months later...
As has been pointed out by several posters, the question was "would you eat coarse fish?" And ANY comment is as far as I can see NOT required?? Unless it is on another thread!! The answer is YES or NO!!

Why does it have to be so bloody difficult?? How's it go??? "You can lead a horse to water!! ............

of course,!! YES

Edited by dogstick