133 members have voted

1. 1. Would you eat coarse fish?

• Yes.
    • No.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted yes. I respect the wish not to get drawn into a political debate, but I would like to explain why I voted this way.

Like my father before me, I usually take a couple pike a year of between 5 and 10lb and smoke them. The flesh is very delicate and it makes a delightful and unusual entree at a dinner party. I used to do the same with eels, but since the population crash a couple of years ago I've stopped taking them.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

i voted yes,but only the certain species.Being foreign i had the chance to try and sample different species in the past.

Carp tastes like cardboad,eating pike is like tasting fried foam,tench smells of mud,and the rest of the fishes world is to small to be considered as food.

The only fish on my table would be zander.

eating pike is like tasting fried foam

That sounds suspiciously like a challenge to me (ive got some excellent smoked pike in the freezer).

Always fancied smoking a decent size perch but there aren't too many about these days ...

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

i voted yes,but only the certain species.Being foreign i had the chance to try and sample different species in the past.

Carp tastes like cardboad,eating pike is like tasting fried foam,tench smells of mud,and the rest of the fishes world is to small to be considered as food.

Well being half foreign I have to disagree. I've never eaten carp, pike or tench, but all the perch I have eaten in restaurants in France have been top notch nosh, especially in a champagne and mushroom sauce. :thumbs:

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I found zander disappointing. Pike is good. Eel is good. Perch is good (I had it hot smoked, and it was fantastic). Whitefish (pollan) was disappointingly bland, I don't know why it needs protecting in this country as it isn't worth eating.

The only coarse fish I've eaten have been zander, perch and pike. I'd put them in that order, but with pike well in the rear. Mind you my ex-wife cooked the pike!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The only coarse fish I've eaten have been zander, perch and pike. I'd put them in that order, but with pike well in the rear. Mind you my ex-wife cooked the pike!

:lol:

The zander and whitefish were in restaurants in Finland, so it may reflect more on the eateries in Vaasa than on the eating of the fish!

:lol:

The zander and whitefish were in restaurants in Finland, so it may reflect more on the eateries in Vaasa than on the eating of the fish!

Yep, my first zander and perch were in Finland, although I can't remember where (how on earth did you know, Steve? :)) Our hosts were Rapala and the guys thought it would be interesting to serve me my favourite fish, perch, to see my reaction. It was delicious, and the zander the following night was even better.

I've since had zander a couple of times in France and it was just as good. I've ordered carp in Prague but it had all gone. I'd be interested to find out what it tastes like though.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net