Attention all yakkers

Snatcher

I am a non-yakker but do enjoy your yakking forum. If I were a "bit" younger could fancy doing it myself :)

This thought/thread is about all your safety. Have noticed that newbies seem to just buy a yak and paddle into the sunset with no idea about personal safety!

How about the more experienced yakkers posting up a set of safety/guidance rules for new starters to your game.

I am sure Elton could arrange for it to be at the top of the page all the time.

Just a thought team :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno about others Snatcher, but I'm a newbie when it comes to yakkin, but I've been going to sea for as long as I can remember(except for when I discovered wine , women and song), I have a very good knowledge of the tides were I intend to fish, and know when to blow it , if the wind does . I have worked in the diving industry, been involved in search & rescue, recovery, and training. I can assure anybody that I have a 100% respect for the sea (or any body of water ) Today is my maiden paddle , I could have gone to my local beach, but I've choosen the lake , at lakeside shopping centre, cos there 's no tide , as this weekend its big fat springs and as I look out of my window a mist has rolled in. Today I'm going to practice paddle technique, getting in and out of it, capsizing and rewriting it, plus any thing else I can think of. There are always gonna be people who litrally do as you say Snatcher, and paddle of without a care in the world, but these sort of people probably don't look in on websites like this one, also the newbies who have posted on here like myself , have in my opinion been given sound advice, from people who have a genuine passion and respect for the sea and all she offers. We newbies have also been invited to paddle with the more experienced members, and most newbies who have posted on here have requested saftey advice. I'm not having a pop at you Snatcher, and maybe a post devoted entirely to saftey , is a good idea , but just check previous posts , theres a lot of good free advice up for grabs.

Dunno about others Snatcher, but I'm a newbie when it comes to yakkin, but I've been going to sea for as long as I can remember(except for when I discovered wine , women and song), I have a very good knowledge of the tides were I intend to fish, and know when to blow it , if the wind does . I have worked in the diving industry, been involved in search & rescue, recovery, and training. I can assure anybody that I have a 100% respect for the sea (or any body of water ) Today is my maiden paddle , I could have gone to my local beach, but I've choosen the lake , at lakeside shopping centre, cos there 's no tide , as this weekend its big fat springs and as I look out of my window a mist has rolled in. Today I'm going to practice paddle technique, getting in and out of it, capsizing and rewriting it, plus any thing else I can think of. There are always gonna be people who litrally do as you say Snatcher, and paddle of without a care in the world, but these sort of people probably don't look in on websites like this one, also the newbies who have posted on here like myself , have in my opinion been given sound advice, from people who have a genuine passion and respect for the sea and all she offers. We newbies have also been invited to paddle with the more experienced members, and most newbies who have posted on here have requested saftey advice. I'm not having a pop at you Snatcher, and maybe a post devoted entirely to saftey , is a good idea , but just check previous posts , theres a lot of good free advice up for grabs.

Excellent reply mate :) The theme to get through is that the sea takes no prisoners :( Had a few "close ones" myself over the tears :headhurt:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Hi Snatcher, unfortunately not all rookies will have related experience like Codhead has and some will go to sea this year without even reading this forum----it is inevitable that soon someone will get into a critical situation and anything that we can do to prevent this needs to be done.I think that the most popular forum in British Kayak Fishing has got no separate safety section very strange given the nature of our sport :thumbdown:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Well said Richi. :thumbs:

There is no doubt that Anglers Net is the home of kayak fishing in the U.K. and is still, proberbly , the most used, and popular site for Kayak Fishing in the U.K.

This is where it was born to the internet in the very beggining, in the U.K. and proberbly where most of you found the link to the sport.

The sport has been practiced by a few lone individuals for years, so its nothing new to the U.K.......what IS new, is the amount of people entering the sport, and the rate of the growth.

In the past we have been lucky enough to have a captive audience here on Anglers Net.

Meaning that most newbies, infact most of YOU, came through this forum to gain the info on safety etc that a lot of us have learned and shared here, giving a good start.

We have always had a genuine belief in the safety of others.

Then the inevitable happened, it got blasted accross the pages of several magazines, papers, etc , there by opening up the flood gates for people to just dive in , so to speak.

To little attention was given to promoting the safety aspects of our sport in the media, in my oppinion, the release was rushed , and not thought about enough, but the revenue from the advertising, and the following sales of kayaks to newbies was achieved , so somone was happy.

For some reason most, were reluctant and shy of mentioning our forum here at Anglersd Net.

A fantastic job of pointing new commers to this site, could have been achieved, where we could help them as best we can, to have a safe entry to Kayak Fishing.

I suggested a long while ago, that the sellers of the kayaks should offer a safety sheet to every individual that buys a kayak.......after all the sales that have been made, its now being thought about.......better late than never I suppose.

I just hope that the safety sheet is just that......and not convieniently covered in sponsors names.

Also suggested many times that we need a pin up on this board regarding safety issues and equiptment lists for newbies to read and digest when they join, or visit us here,....... not enough support.

Its got to the point where by a newbie appears on the board, and is bombarded with kayak reccomendations , rod holders, fishfinders,......this kayak is faster than that one....etc, rather than.....you will need a good P.F.D.......dress to suit the conditions, stay within your fitness and experience levels etc.

Too much sponsership and advertising is creeping into the sport, and YES, we could do with our own safety pin up here !!

It would also help if the kayaks being sold to newbies were checked for leaks before being sent to the retail outlets.

Bill. :)

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Well said Richi. :thumbs:

There is no doubt that Anglers Net is the home of kayak fishing in the U.K. and is still, proberbly , the most used, and popular site for Kayak Fishing in the U.K.

This is where it was born to the internet in the very beggining, in the U.K. and proberbly where most of you found the link to the sport.

The sport has been practiced by a few lone individuals for years, so its nothing new to the U.K.......what IS new, is the amount of people entering the sport, and the rate of the growth.

In the past we have been lucky enough to have a captive audience here on Anglers Net.

Meaning that most newbies, infact most of YOU, came through this forum to gain the info on safety etc that a lot of us have learned and shared here, giving a good start.

We have always had a genuine belief in the safety of others.

Then the inevitable happened, it got blasted accross the pages of several magazines, papers, etc , there by opening up the flood gates for people to just dive in , so to speak.

To little attention was given to promoting the safety aspects of our sport in the media, in my oppinion, the release was rushed , and not thought about enough, but the revenue from the advertising, and the following sales of kayaks to newbies was achieved , so somone was happy.

For some reason most, were reluctant and shy of mentioning our forum here at Anglersd Net.

A fantastic job of pointing new commers to this site, could have been achieved, where we could help them as best we can, to have a safe entry to Kayak Fishing.

I suggested a long while ago, that the sellers of the kayaks should offer a safety sheet to every individual that buys a kayak.......after all the sales that have been made, its now being thought about.......better late than never I suppose.

I just hope that the safety sheet is just that......and not convieniently covered in sponsors names.

Also suggested many times that we need a pin up on this board regarding safety issues and equiptment lists for newbies to read and digest when they join, or visit us here,....... not enough support.

Its got to the point where by a newbie appears on the board, and is bombarded with kayak reccomendations , rod holders, fishfinders,......this kayak is faster than that one....etc, rather than.....you will need a good P.F.D.......dress to suit the conditions, stay within your fitness and experience levels etc.

Too much sponsership and advertising is creeping into the sport, and YES, we could do with our own safety pin up here !!

It would also help if the kayaks being sold to newbies were checked for leaks before being sent to the retail outlets.

Bill. :)

Well written Bill :thumbs:

I agree with you, Kayaks should be tested at the factory b4 being sent to outlets.I just wonder how many ppl that have new kayaks have tested them?.I know some have found water in their yaks after paddling and put it down to splashes seeping under the hatch :huh:

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

The problem we have is that the fad paddler is unlikely to find their way onto this or any other decent site,

I personally think the responsibility lies with the Kayak seller be it off ebay or a retailer. I know some retailers are giving out SMs excellent safety sheet but at the end off the day you cant beat experience. The advice should always be to paddle with a buddy, particularly in the early days.

The problem with knowing your limits is if you have no experience you don't know them and a couple of easy paddles can convince you that you can tackle the world. You really do need somebody to hold your hand. This could be a positive role for clubs or a national body. Its interesting that on this forum people are naturally beggining to polarise into regional groups. This is a positive not a negative. Suprisingly enough Im not a club fan normally but I see safety as one area that a club/national body structure would be able to provide a focal point for safety referals by retailers, coast guard and RNLI it would also give us a greater say in fishing politics.

I dont believe I just wrote that but it does make sense for all sorts of reasons. I hate clubs!

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

The problem we have is that the fad paddler is unlikely to find their way onto this or any other decent site,

I personally think the responsibility lies with the Kayak seller be it off ebay or a retailer. I know some retailers are giving out SMs excellent safety sheet but at the end off the day you cant beat experience. The advice should always be to paddle with a buddy, particularly in the early days.

The problem with knowing your limits is if you have no experience you don't know them and a couple of easy paddles can convince you that you can tackle the world. You really do need somebody to hold your hand. This could be a positive role for clubs or a national body. Its interesting that on this forum people are naturally beggining to polarise into regional groups. This is a positive not a negative. Suprisingly enough Im not a club fan normally but I see safety as one area that a club/national body structure would be able to provide a focal point for safety referals by retailers, coast guard and RNLI it would also give us a greater say in fishing politics.

I dont believe I just wrote that but it does make sense for all sorts of reasons. I hate clubs!

Absolutely.

I have only had a few trips out since getting afloat, but just by asking for help on here have had the pleasure of some VERY experienced company.

There is a strong undercurrent running through every session, and that is the constant regard for everyones safety.

Its 'pitch perfect' too !

Never has the call to head back or move location ( due to percieved threat to safety ) been, or appeared to have been, without foundation causing the newbie here feel like he is being 'tit fed'. Something which I think hamstrings clubs with audiences 'greater than one'.

In other words, you get your paddling, your fishing, your safety advice AND some good company, all rolled into one, and the whole package is 'tailor made' for you based on what the guy you are out with judges as fit for your level of ability.

Try and buy THAT on your local High Street !

Thanks Guys.

:thumbs:

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Sadly a "safety sheet" is like the instructions you get with a flat pack furniture, you only look at it when you get into trouble

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

I have to agree to the general feelings that something needs to be available.

After over 20 years boat fishing of which running my own and shared boats for a lot of the time and making my living from and currently on the sea I have gained a huge amount of respect for it's quirky power.

I have all the relevent safety gear and plans and hopefully enough knowledge and experience of my local area to keep me safe while out in my lovely new toy yet I got not one peice of advice from the manufacture when it comes to safety. On that note I must say I had plenty of free and continuous advice on my well being from the guy's at white water consultancy particulary Mark who sold me the Canoe and the Kayak.

After all my preperations I still will only limit myself to fishing in the milford haven waterway where there is land and assistance close at hand untill I can find someone to buddy up with to tackle my favourite inshore marks on the Pembrokeshire coast.

Unfortunatly not everyone is aware of what can happen and how quickly you can get into difficulty when at sea in a small craft, hence the need for advice from people who have some experience.

I know some people reading this thread will think we are waffling on about safety again and click back to the next more interesting post about a new yak or the latest catch, but take it from me that from now over the next 6 months of this year we will on here and all the other popular fishing forums be talking about this tragedy and that tragedy. There has already been a few deaths this year on our coasts from small craft and it's only August.

Snatcher has a valid point, there are some guy's on here with a wealth of experience to offer, if they are not asked how are they to know who needs the advice.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I