Is it all for show?

Gaz51

Just browsing the Fishrite catalogue that came with Anglers Mail and it set me wondering.

All the luggage, clothing, spod buckets and cases etc. Are they really worth the cost?

I mean, many of the items coloured green and realtree featured in carp catalogues can be purchased far cheaper elsewhere if you don't mind a different shade.

I have to say I'm as bad as the next man, I like to have the proper stuff but it just makes me wonder if we are blinded by the must have stuff whatever the cost. :(

I don't see how you could do proper angling without them myself.

If your gear does not all match and in the proper colors, what's the point?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Catching fish is about your rig,bait and location........who gives a monkeys what colour your bucket is or how many tone settings you have on your buzzers, or the fact that your bivvy could stand up in gale force storms....you are all being ripped....

By the same token, we could all eat value brand food, drive Skodas and live in bedsits.

It's a choice that some people choose to spend their money on different things - certain carp anglers enjoy spending it on tackle.

I've never seen the problem. Nobody moans at a woman if she spends money on clothes that make her look and feel good :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

All very good points, but I do believe some people believe having top end tackle will catch you fish, no good having a guitar if you cant play it....

Not sure if anyone has ever done any tests, budget vs top end, results would be very interesting....

I belive it is, although my gear match's it's nothing fancey, all nashy outlaw and it does the trick!

When i first got it i wanted to upgrade asap, had it about two months and landed my first twenty, i also use it for my cat fishng.

The fish don't care what gear i'm using ;)

One minute people are spending £300 on a rod that can cast 250 miles and the next they are spending another £300 on a rod designed to fish the margins.

There's only one thing being caught and it aint the fish :)

Although if i could afford to go splash out and buy all the new high tec gizmo's as soon as they come out i probably would, well except for bait boats :yucky:

If the rumours are true about immigrants catching 20 after 20 using hand lines, it must tell you something :lol:

If it's something you enjoy doing and it's your only hobby then why not have the best you can afford!

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

I belive it is, although my gear match's it's nothing fancey, all nashy outlaw and it does the trick!

When i first got it i wanted to upgrade asap, had it about two months and landed my first twenty, i also use it for my cat fishng.

The fish don't care what gear i'm using ;)

One minute people are spending £300 on a rod that can cast 250 miles and the next they are spending another £300 on a rod designed to fish the margins.

There's only one thing being caught and it aint the fish :)

Although if i could afford to go splash out and buy all the new high tec gizmo's as soon as they come out i probably would, well except for bait boats :yucky:

If the rumours are true about immigrants catching 20 after 20 using hand lines, it must tell you something :lol:

If it's something you enjoy doing and it's your only hobby then why not have the best you can afford!

I agree with this, we are being sold over priced tackle, I brought a JRC rig/tackle bag at around £12 as it was cheaper than the Nash or fox ones, also have noticed +30,chubb and loads more companies now do them, whats the difference? none they are all identical appart from the name stitched on them and the price and talking of stitching, who does the stitching, not Nash or JRC, probally some asain sweat shop, do you realy think there is a team of guys at Nash, JRC etc making these products, No I doudt it.

But then I like JRC as they offer good value for money all round and are good quality, but have just had 4 Greys X Flites delivered this morning to replace my JRC Skyline rods, not that there is any thing wrong with the Skylines, have had some 20lb+ fish on them and the are excellent and at £39 you can't beat them, but I got some X Flites half price, so with the wifes permission upgraded.

Would be interesting what factory and where, makes the carbon blanks that we use and what the real difference is apart from cosmetics.But then some people choose to spend money on golf or sailing etc, so it's good that we have a choose at the end of the day, so what ever turns you on, go for it, not sure if it will turn the carp on though.

There is an old saying..."what seperates the men from the boys, is the price of their toys"

I fish with and alongside of blokes who "simply must have the best" it goes someway to compensate for the lengthy blanks :)

As for me, I make most of my own tackle :) even down to the leads on the end of the line.

I get an inverse pleasure from what I do....I just love catching fish with something I have designed and developed myself. Makes me feel VERY smug sometimes :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I've never seen the problem. Nobody moans at a woman if she spends money on clothes that make her look and feel good :)

Really? The only reason men don't moan is that if they did, she'd moan louder and limit your fishing time!!!!!! ;)

For the benefit of the more sensitive souls here, that was said very tongue in cheek. SWMBO is a better angler than me. She never fails to tell me.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I agree with this, we are being sold over priced tackle, I brought a JRC rig/tackle bag at around £12 as it was cheaper than the Nash or fox ones, also have noticed +30,chubb and loads more companies now do them, whats the difference? none they are all identical appart from the name stitched on them and the price and talking of stitching, who does the stitching, not Nash or JRC, probally some asain sweat shop, do you realy think there is a team of guys at Nash, JRC etc making these products, No I doudt it.

Very true

Have a look here:

http://importer.alibaba.com/buyeroffers/Fishing_Tackle.html

A fool and his money :rolleyes: