Her we go . . . !

Guest Silver Back

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intresting discussion.

I bought a boat to save money on charter fees...how wrong I was. It was costing £60 for me and my son to go every saturday. So I thought buy a boat and it will be far less. I have a 65hp Yamaha and do tend to run it at one of two speeds, stopped or flat out :P but then thats what I enjoy and is part of the enjoyment of the day. I have two 25ltr tanks and rarely have 10 litres left when I come back in so cheep fishing it isn't. I enjoy the speed but sometimes wish for a larger boat for the added comfort. The boat does get used for things other than fishing like towing an inflatable and a hydroslide so thats why the bigger engine was more attractive.

I have been looking at boats and in particularly engines for next year and if the brochures are to be believed the new breed of two strokes ( I think it was the evinrude ECI) are more economical, faster and use less oil than a four stroke over a 100 hr running time. Oh and they are also supposed to be as quiet! Having seen Norries new four stroke in operation I find it hard to believe as you can hardly hear it run.

Much as I would like to own a 30 footer I do enjoy the fact that I can hitch up and go where I please which allows me to try different areas for different species.

I have been going out on a 28ft floating gin palace and to say its enjoyable is an understatement. Galley, airconditioning, central heating,all wood trimmed stateroom, power shower and running hot and cold water are just a few of its comforts. If there is a down side its that its powered by twin petrol volvo pentas (250hp each :huh: ) This gives it a cruising figure measured in gallons per mile, but the guy who owns it doesn't need to ask how much the fuel costs are... a rather enviable position. If there is a down side its a distinct lack of deck space but with a capability of 38 knots you dont waste much fishing time :thumbs: Personally if I had that kind of money to spend on a boat(60k) I would not choose that kind of boat, but he likes it and can afford it. The perfect combination would be a trailable boat and one berthed for the rougher days or when comfort is more important than speed...something to dream about for now...but one day ;)

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Hi guys.

Thought i would chuck my oar in at this one.

I'm like Cliff, i like the comfy bits. As some of you know, i own a 30ft Motor sailer. We use it for long weekend trips, fishing etc. She's not a speedboat, but a one hell of a sea boat, so a bit of rough weather won't stop us from taking a trip.

As for economy 3 litres and hour its peanuts, then with a good blow, up comes the sails, sensational feeling, all free wind power, and complete tranquility.

We don't bother to much for the one day, get out and get back trips, ours usually last two three days, what the hell is the hurry.

Nothing better then kipping on board, breakfast in bed, a good DVD while the hooks lay baited on the sea bed waiting for the fish.

Rain or shine, cold or hot the boat is equipped with all the home luxuries.

We can spend a week + popping from one place to another along the coast, all for a few quid on fuel. It's the wine at dinner times, that cost more money, BURP GULP BURB, top up my glass :)

CJS - it all depends on what you want to catch. If I wanted to catch <5lb pollack all day then I only have to go 3 miles. Fine for a novice or competition fishing, but it get's boring. If I want them in double figures I need to go 15 miles, and for a significantly better chance of a 15lb+ fish I need to be at 35 miles. Currently the wrecks inside 15 miles are more or less barren, so long distance is my only option. Later in the year I can fish closer in. As for banks and ground marks, the ability to change to a mark 7 or 10 miles away quickly is essential, one bank will fish for 2 hours over HW, then another will fish for 2 hours over low. Add a stop for turbot and live bait in the middle and the time soon disappears. I reckon on 1 NM/litre of diesel at 24 knots, and my average day is 40-50 miles (distance covered on the plotter), a long day's mid-channel wrecking is 100miles+. Current price I pay for diesel is ~45p/litre, so a 50 mile day is £25. Bait is free, so between 2 of us it's a reasonable cost. If I wanted to I could fish for bass, turbot & cod in the same day, on completely different marks using completely different techniques.

Much is made of how a fast boat becomes slow in the rough, in my experience you're not much slower (if at all) than displacement craft. OK, it's unpleasant, and a decent cabin and wipers are essential as you become a submarine as you plough through the waves, but you still get there. I went wrecking at 15 miles on saturday, 18 knots with the waves on the way out, but 7 into the teeth of it on the way back. I also have the option of many more marks to try. A mate of mine has a mitchell 31, he only has 2 reasonable pollack wrecks within his 12knot steaming distance, once they're fished out he has no other option.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Hi guys.

Thought i would chuck my oar in at this one.

Oars, now thas what I call green conservation Mick :lol:

Never realised this thread would develop this way. However, having been to work this morning had time to muss, and reading the additions. I am of the opinion that anglers can be 'very' selective over choice of their 'green conservation' issues and ideas.

Fast boats, towing them around the country, when I towed, Oh yes I've been there, got the teashirt . . . ! My car consumption dropped from 40-45mpg to 29mpg! So we compound the problem, high car figures and inefficient boats, and often poor local knowledge, which means charging from mark to mark trying to find fish! :headhurt:

No longer will I worry about the 2 peneth of fish I take for the pot, provided its over the limit thats fine, multi hook rigs, Hokies, feathers :P When we all sing from the same 'conservation' hymn sheet, then I will listen. Until then, in MY way, I am probably doing as much as most, for the environment.

Enjoy my fishing and boat, I do, :yahoo: Sack cloth and ashes :thumbdown:

:ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

What on earth have greenhouse gases got to do with fish conservation?

I've been puzzled by this since I read the first hint at it, and try as I might, I just can't find any connection.

The only connection I've managed to come up with is that global warming, if it is in fact caused by greenhouse gases (which personally I doubt), might give us new species to catch. So maybe there is a link between going green and fishing, but as far as I can see there isn't one between going green and fish conservation.

Anyway, I'd rather catch bass in warm weather than cod in the cold! :thumbs::D

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

What on earth have greenhouse gases got to do with fish conservation?

I've been puzzled by this since I read the first hint at it, and try as I might, I just can't find any connection.

The only connection I've managed to come up with is that global warming, if it is in fact caused by greenhouse gases (which personally I doubt), might give us new species to catch. So maybe there is a link between going green and fishing, but as far as I can see there isn't one between going green and fish conservation.

Anyway, I'd rather catch bass in warm weather than cod in the cold! :thumbs::D

'Catching bass in warm weather' :lol: like the conection.

Steve its about 'conservation', the word as an all embrasing linked concept it covers a multidude of 'sins'. If I am told that I should conserve fish, and I do my bit, retun famale roka, limit the number and size of codling I keep, same for bass etc, etc. I am then told that the only thing a fisherman/small boat owner is intersted in is peadle to the metal, at nearly £50 a tank full, as normal usage per trip.

Remember that word 'conservattion' in my mind that means the whole gambit, trees, birds, fish, the wold is heating up, and the speed at which it is heating up, is, in part, contributed to by burning large amounts of fuel. The answer will be "well my little bit wont hurt" . . . thats fine, my few extra codling or bass wont make a pin prick of differance to fish stocks them? As I say Steve we cant cherry pick, its a merry go round and we are all on it.

Whilst I am not a 'green banger', any one that believes in conservation and its effects!, canot cherry pick, and expect others not to! We have been told on this site that, global warming is affecting the food chain distribution in the sea, temperatures and all that. The knock on affect has somthing to do with the fishing down this way, got a feeling Wurzel has a better handle on this than I?

'Doubt it' or not Steve, its a fact, it hapened a few thousand years ago, its going to hapen again. Its just that the greedy thoughtless human race is giving it a big push on its way. I have said it before and will probably say it again, we have a duty to do our bit. Directly, I put an amount of fish back, indirectly I drive an economic car, run an economic boat and recycle as much as I can. I have been helping for years and did not realise it, the last time I flew in an airplane was 1996!

Toerag, yeah, I understand the point, I have been there. However, you are doing better than the petrol OB boats with your diesel, better economy for the time being. But if that EU directive is enforced, it starts to get expensive? Thats where I thought this post was going, cost v economy and comfort? However I do have a sore spot, that was rubbed a good while back, and I have seen post that have finger pointed at anglers that are 'doing their bit' quietly like me.

Frankly, I have come to not really care . . . just get the big wooden spoon out occasionally! Provided I can do my thing, my way, return a few, keep a few for the pot :yawn: who gives a . . . s**t. Each individual must do what they must do. Me, I like my comfort, 20-30 mile trips are no problem, I just start early in the morning, 4-5am. The jumping from mark to mark, thats not practical, it is the one area I can give to speed :rolleyes: However careful planing helps, visiting marks along the rout. You see, for me thats all part of it, the build up, then the trip.

Although. around here, I still think that its not fished out as some believe. Fish are a little smaller, however there is the better fish in there some where. To make the best of the smaller fish I am lightening down. The trip on Saturday, 7lb roka, not large . . . until you realise it was in the middle of the tide, (small tides though) on 10lb line, a 12lb class rod and 6500 Abu Rocket. This made me very aware or the care with which I played it, and one felt satisfied at doing the job. Same as landing a 47lb Stinger on 15lb line and a 6oz rated glass uptider back in 92 on John Rawls boat, light is good.

I will admit to having lost the drive I had as a younger man, fishing was a passion, now nearly 60, I still love my fishing, but, I love my boat, I enjoy the company of invited friends. These very much think my way, its not quite 'manyana', but they want to be on the boat as much as they want to fish.

In the summer Hazel and I treat KT as a floating retreat. We spend a lot of time down the river relaxing. Bass and Mullet, this year we will be spinning and fluff chucking! Its very laid back and relaxed. What could be better than putting the anchor down, on a mark in the river in the late afternoon, an evening meal and a glass or three of wine or cider . . . a bit of gentle country music would be our choice, put a light rod out and catch a few bass or mullet. Bed, still at anchor, '~~imagination~~' up at 'bird chirp' catch a few more better bass. Hazel gets up at 8 o'clock, full English, tea, toast. Then you can continue in the river or move to another location, loads around, or go out to sea if its calm or, or, or . . . see what I mean ~~~~~~~ laid back, or is that horizontal?

As for, a little'un in a sea compares to a big'un in the same sea. I know where I would rather be!

Cliff :ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

Steve its about 'conservation', the word as an all embrasing linked concept it covers a multidude of 'sins'. If I am told that I should conserve fish, and I do my bit, retun famale roka, limit the number and size of codling I keep, same for bass etc, etc. I am then told that the only thing a fisherman/small boat owner is intersted in is peadle to the metal, at nearly £50 a tank full, as normal usage per trip.

Sorry Cliff, I still can't associate fish conservation with global warming. Conservationist and environmentalist are two different things. Aren't they? Those that are trying to protect fish stocks are doing it for the sake of angling really. It would be really romantic to pretend to be doing it for the fish, or the environment, but that wouldn't be the truth. Personally, I'm involved for the sake of angling and anglers.

As I say Steve we cant cherry pick,
We can if we like! :P From a purely practical point of view, what good would more and bigger fish be if no one was able to get out there to catch them for fear of producing greenhouse gases?

'Doubt it' or not Steve, its a fact, it hapened a few thousand years ago, its going to hapen again.

Exactly, and there weren't any 2 stroke outboards around a few thousand years ago!

Do you know what effect it had on the temperature in the USA when they stopped all flights following 9/11?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I assume its me with the gas guzzilng towing boat. I also happen to tow it with a 240 bhp car which averages 20.3 mpg when its hooked on the back. But lets put this in perspective.

Fact... emmisions from motor vehicles amount to only 20% of greenhouse emissions..where do the rest come from...its making bits and luxiories that we all enjoy. The motor industry has done more to be enviromentally friendly than any other industry. Your car is produced as efficiently as possible, it runs as efficiently as it can, and its fnal disposal will be full recyclable. Countless millions has been spent making the car enviromentall friendly...and countelss millions are raised from taxes by the government in punishing motorists for owning a car. I personally spend £1000 per month on fuel...i can do nothing to reduce that ...so do I feel guilty about blowing 50 quid on my weekend enjoyment? Not at all! Penalising car drivers is easy revenue for the gov. they are geting a vote winer by screwwing 4x4 drivers for a few extra quid in tax. Those who can afford the car and the fuel wont bat an eyelid at the extra few quid in tax!

Please dont confuse being a conservationist and an enviromentalist...cos if you do you would be sailing or cycling to your chosen mark :P

I am 100% conservation minded...I fish for fun and not because I am hungry...anyone on my boat can kill what they like within reason and as long as its within the law (be that one set by me for my boat). I personally return everything I catch without exception ( apart from mackrel).

So I think I qualify as a conservationist...but see no point in trying to be an enviromentalist as every wagon I pass in my gas guzzling car that is delivering someones latest Ikea furniture they cant live without is creating 3x as much greenhouse gas as I ever will! We live in a consumer orientated society and that will be the major creator of greenhouse gases not me, you or my car! We can do our bit ...but frankly its small on a global scale!

I admire you for you concern for the enviroment and conservation...personally all the roker would have gone back on my boat...but thats just me! :)

I guess i will have to stick with the boat I have for now till i can afford something better. No doubt enviromental issues will come into the final decision...but enviromental considerations do tend to be less fuel usage and therefore lower costs so at that stage I will become an enviromentalist and make the most economical decision.

Food for though...your boat creates more waste oil poluting the enviroment than mine every year! :huh:

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org