Beachcasting for carp

Guest Brumagem Phil

Guest Brumagem Phil
It's not what the fish gets left with that is the problem, it's what gets left in the water i.e. a float, a length of line and a big lead.

So how is that different to any other kind of fishing????

The float just comes off as its a through float and not attached tot he line in any way (I know this as i've retrieved a few myself) and a lead on the bottom with some line attached can join all the other line and leads on the bottom.

By the way I use 15lb mainline with a 10lb hooklink so when I do get snapped (very very rare using heavy tackle like this) then the fish would get a hook and just half a hooklink.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That diagram is cr@p!!!!!!!!!!!

Correct and safest way to set up :

Use minimum 15lb mainline, onto this thread on through big O an O type swivel followed by a rubber bead (big enough to stop swivel) then a float stop (to set bead and swivel at required distance from lead), now slide on your float/bung if you use one (I dont see the point of the float myself as it seems more of a hinderance than anything else), then tie on either a small swivel or an small Oval ring to bottom of mainline then also on to this a weaker small length of line (rotton bottom) followed by your lead. Now tie your hooklength to the O type swivel.

When playing a fish the O swivel, bead and float stop will slide down to the Oval ring / small swivel and rest against it until fish landed (or down to float if using one).

If your mainline breaks the O ring swivel will slide of mainline with ease (same as a helicopter / chod rig).

If lead gets snagged, rottom bottom should break before heavier mainline or hooklength.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I'm not saying that this method CAN'T be done reasonably safely, even though I'd never do it. What worries me is that kids see it done successfully and try to copy it without giving it any thought. They see a picture like the one further up, peg a big pike bung on their line, tie a big lead on the end, add a dropper hooklength and away they go!

Guest Brumagem Phil
I think wickerdave has a good point about the size of the water and steve about the nature of the rig. Some objections could be:

- it's noisy and OTT

- it's usually a fixed rig

- it's effective, so you tend to get a lot of people doing it

- it can easily take over a small water

There's no doubting its effectiveness though. I don't really like it because I prefer creeping around looking for carp in the margins, but that's a personal thing.

This is precisely why I started this thread, to see what REAL objections there were tot he technique rather than some of the myths or personal objections rather than bonafide fishing issues (if you see what I mean).

- it's noisy and OTT ............this is just the kind of wishy washy non issue I come accross all the time! How is a bomb and float splashing into the water any different to a method feeder wrapped in groundbait?

When you speak of fixed rigs, are you speaking of teather type rigs because a beachcaster set up isnt that at all as I explained to colin below.

I partly agree with your other two points.......yes if you get 3 or 4 casters on a smallish pool then they do take it over a bit. On the other hand despite showing literally dozens of people how to do it, the 120 peg lake I normally fish has just me (and one of my mates) who actually fish this method. Its odd that given how good it is (and how involving a fishing method it is) that more people dont do it.

I personally find it far more entertaining than waiting for a baitrunner to go whizzing off.

Stalking the margins is another fave of mine anderoo......not always a practical prospect on all waters though.

Stimulating little debate this.

Guest Brumagem Phil
I'm not saying that this method CAN'T be done reasonably safely, even though I'd never do it. What worries me is that kids see it done successfully and try to copy it without giving it any thought. They see a picture like the one further up, peg a big pike bung on their line, tie a big lead on the end, add a dropper hooklength and away they go!

I cant see any reason for banning a technique just because of peoples own failure to do it properly! If that were the case there'd be no methods left to fish at all.

Phil - slightly OT since it doesn't deal with the beachcaster rig but you mentioned a groundbait ban.

If you take a look at the old article I did on packbaits, you can see how they are constructed.

Not only will the pack act as a little pile of bait right under your hook bait but if you cast and suddenly stop the rig in the air where you intend to fish, you are unable to prevent the pack from falling off your rig and the pieces from landing in the water just where you will be fishing.

I doubt if the lake has a rule that forbids an angler losing a bait on occasion. :D :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

That diagram is cr@p!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it illustrates the principle well enough to answer Andy's question. It's the first one I found with a Google images search.

You're all way ahead of me on this. Excuse a basic question. Presumably the purpose is to do floater fishing so there's no line on the surface? Sounds brilliant. Am i right though that it's difficult on a deep lake as you can't avoid having say 12 feet of line with a weight on the end trailing behind the fish?

john clarke

Am i right though that it's difficult on a deep lake as you can't avoid having say 12 feet of line with a weight on the end trailing behind the fish?

Thats what i was thinking?

Does'nt seem like the most easy way to play\land a fish

Pygocentrus Piraya

Plenty of ways to set it up so you can still cast easily in deep water.

Although initialy disagreeing with ColinW I think that he has realy raised one of the main problems and that is even though it can be fished safely many do it wrong.As Phil says its a shame that something is banned because of a minority getting it wrong but is this not the nature of most bans?

Its not a method I use regularly but use it I do when the situation is right and lets be honest its not a million miles away from two very sucsessfull cat rigs I use.Strangely enough both of these recieve a similar bad press due to the same reasons.

A lot of other much worse angling practices go on being used as they arnt as visual as the "Beachcaster" I think this highly visual nature is a lot of the problem for those who dont understand and of course those who see it being carried out incorectly.

I can empathise with Phill as it really gets me when there is a sudden influx of rules and regulations.

Give an anchored suspender rig a go Phill ( make your own though with a decent boom not one of the Gardner jobs) Has a limited life span but will get you round the ban.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!