Anchor Rope

Elton

Is this kind of stuff suitable for anchor rope?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/220M-8mm-blue-polypr...1QQcmdZViewItem

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this kind of stuff suitable for anchor rope?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/220M-8mm-blue-polypr...1QQcmdZViewItem

I would say not Elton, right lenght and diameter, but that blue nylon stuff is pretty pants rope, stiff as a board and not very friendly on the hands either, you really want some white rope, not sure of the correct name, will cost you more but best to have to decent stuff.

Scott

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

The answer is both yes and no

Yes because its strong enough and under normal circumstances you'll never snap it although its a bit "floaty" due to its low density but if you're hand hauling your anchor line in and you come fast and have to pull it out or do any heaving on the anchor line to get it aboard then you will find 8mm rope too thin to get a good hand hold and it has a tendancy to slipp through your hands when its wet and theres a lot of tension on the rope.

I like the Marlow yacht ropes for anchor ropes in 12mm as its denser and sinks well and its easier to grip as well as being braided its easier on the hands, its just that its a bit dearer.

If you go for a polyprop rope get a 12mm diameter rope as its much easier to grip, 15mm is even better just rig your anchor up with a few yards of chain to help it dig in and fix it bottom end of the anchor and tie a weak link of twine to the anchor chain and the anchor eye and that way if you come fast you can pull for a break and you retrieve the anchor backwards as it were, ie you pull the anchor out backwards from a fastener

Hi Elton

A lot depends on the depth and tides you will be fishing in. If you can get away with short lenghts then the 12mm will be fine, At times we will have a full coil out and 12mm is just to bulky to fit in the anchor well. We use the cheap 8mm blue rope and buoy the anchor up, It softens and lays better after a few trips.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Cheers again, guys.

I'm moving the boat home soon and will check the rope that's with it. It's got white rope, but I really don't know what condition it's in, as it has been stored in a crate on the deck.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

This company is near you Elton, I bought a 220m spool of 12mm multiplait and split it with a mate.Lovely and soft but not cheap.They also sell chain bouys and shackles.

www.eyecochain.com

Elton, If you do buy that blue monoprop rope, dont buy it from them, it is an extortionate price...my mate supplies 12mm for about a tenner a coil......and that aint a special price. I use a 220 m coil of 12 mm....havent done it often, but it works a treat......and have had nearly it all out .....powered recovery is scary first time tho, I must admit..... :D:D:D Ask Peterthefisherman..... :blink:

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Personally I hate the stuff. The chances of it getting caught up in the prop are much higher because it floats.

Be very careful indeed, a rope round the prop can sink a boat in seconds.

I found a seller offering multiplait at a very competitive price. Elton, I will pm you details when I've dug them out. :)

Personally I hate the stuff. The chances of it getting caught up in the prop are much higher because it floats.

Be very careful indeed, a rope round the prop can sink a boat in seconds.

I found a seller offering multiplait at a very competitive price. Elton, I will pm you details when I've dug them out. :)

Yep, Thanks for your concern, its appreciated. :D

My reason for using this is mainly cost, I anchor in up to 500ft, and if I ever had to cut it, what would that cost me ????

My Blue Poly anchor rope has never floated, it has a massive anchor at the end, with 10 metres of Galv Chain on the end, along with mibbes 150mtrs of rope. Its also recovered under power, so there is "strain" on it, so no slack to catch the Prop. I can however understand using it in shallower waters would change all these factors. AND, how it would affect the price.....

I do have a "Share" in a few 100 mtrs of Sea Steel which is worth a fortune.

Elton, want to make an offer....???? :):)

I really do appreciate your advice btw, thats why i'm on here.....I also know well what a rope round a prop can do....lost an aqaintance(sp) that way once...... :( a few years ago.

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/