PC or not PC

DavyR

I have to agree with Brian.

I dont think anyone with a sensible perspective on life has a problem with 'joke's'. However far too much crap turns up on forums that is nothing more than a spiteful crack at someone elses religious beliefs or colour and its usually devisive and aimed at one section of the community. At a point in time last month when moslems held a peaceful march to protest the media portrayal of Allah as some kind of comic cartoon figure, some on this forum seemed to be of the opinion in advance, that there was going to be a riot. There wasn't but it didn't attract any positive comments as a result. Sorry that you were disappointed. Roughly the same time an even bigger Jewish march through Paris didn't get a mention, neither did the street fighting in Dublin on 25th February when a couple of dozen people were injured and cars were set on fire. The moslem riots in France however were well reported on this forum. Some of you are highly selective in terms of who you take on, but are not too fussy about the kind of dirt that you dish out from the relative safety of your PC screen.

We've had images of archetypal Albanian pimps holding up their expensive mobile phones in Asda with descriptions of the contents of their shopping baskets and clothing that fell short of describing their Calvin Klein Y fronts...wonder how he missed that. How sad can you get. We 've also had references to indians as 'rip off' merchants too. We have indians and other black posters on the fishing forums that really dont deserve to feel as uncomfortable as some of you can probably make them. BUT... someone protests and the old 'PC' label is dragged out, often by people who assume that being 'PC' its just about being non racist. It isnt.

This is primarily a fishing forum and some of you have forgotten that it has no geographic boundaries. We have moslem, hindu and afro caribbean posters, who oddly enough want to talk about fishing.

Last point that some of you need to remember is that there is a Race Relations Act. It's there for the protection of all. Comments on here occasionally cross the line of good taste and may one day attract the attention of the Law. With that in mind, I'm not surprised that the mod on this other angling site has taken the action that he felt necessary.

I'll refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier reply. :);)

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brumagem Phil
another victory for the tambourine-bangers, it seems. :)

If it means a defeat for the bigoted racist thugs then someone pass me a triangle :P

I'll refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier reply. :);)

Yeah read it Ant. Its your emotive view but it doesnt actually mean anything. How about some actual postings on AN from me that were unfair to rac.. sorry unfair to other posters and what might be described as......ah yes 'PC'. :)

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Yeah read it Ant. Its your emotive view but it doesnt actually mean anything. How about some actual postings on AN from me that were unfair to rac.. sorry unfair to other posters and what might be described as......ah yes 'PC'. :)

Sorry Gerry, I didn't mean that to come across as it did, my apologies, I was more hinting at the whole picture. :oops:

My point is that some members seem to think that certain groups need protecting yet other groups are ripe for the picking. This to me says that these same posters must see these groups as inferior and need their support. Now isn't that the real definition of racism?

If I where black or muslim I think I would cringe more at the thought that i'm somehow in need of protecting.

Sorry Gerry, I didn't mean that to come across as it did, my apologies, I was more hinting at the whole picture. :oops:

My point is that some members seem to think that certain groups need protecting yet other groups are ripe for the picking. This to me says that these same posters must see these groups as inferior and need their support. Now isn't that the real definition of racism?

No probs Ant.

If I where black or muslim I think I would cringe more at the thought that i'm somehow in need of protecting.

Quite possibly. Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Thought you might be interested to see the line taken by another angling forum frequented by one or two of us on AN:

I often look in on this site although not a member and therefore not a poster but I have detected a drift in atitudes from some quarters on there. For those not aware it's the MD site and it looks like the site owner has had enough of the crap and put his foot down with the threat to remove posters who post racist rants.

If anyone has a problem with that then I suppose if they felt badly done to then they could leave, after all it's his site, he pays the bills and if anyone has issue with that then start their own site and ask for a donation towards running costs from the BNP and see where that would get them.

It would be interesting for those of use who don't use that site to tell us what log in names everyone uses on there

there seems to be a lot of confusion about the basic realities out there about ANYTHING thats said about ANYONE different to the person that makes a remark!

Racism only exists if the person refers to a race I.E indians ,welsh ,scots etc

you cannot be called racist if you refer to a person! alone.

you can be colour predudice if you point out a persons colour in a derogatory way.

you can be religeonist (or whatever the word is) if you make fun of a persons religeon.

clumping everything said about everything anti anyone as a racist view is rubbish .

making remarks about moslems,jews or christians etc CANNOT be racist (although this is debateable in jewish circles) as religeon is something you can choose to join or leave ,anyone can be a moslem or christian or buddist if they please it isnt defined by place of birth or colour of skin or region on the map.

colour predudice is even harder to clump with racism a black person could hate whites or asians or martians but still it cannot be racism because of course colour isnt defined by borders on the map and ofcourse he would have to hate ALL of them which is impossible having never met/seen/heard all of them.

racism really hardly exists because ofcourse its in the mind ,make a joke about a thick irishman or a tight scotsman your not being racist in the slightest ,99% of people listening to you know your not being racist but telling a joke .stereotyping i suspect is only in the minds of the feeble minded just as tribalism is and more of an excuse than a reason to justify things which can look to the outsider as racism but is just blind hate and can encompass anything (football is a good example)

P.C comes from those r-soles that see life through a fog of black and white and are probably brain damaged in some way (or making money pointing out things that most people dont see)

the most racist ,colour predudice anti religeon lot out there are our P.C Guru's that seem to run our lives ,their twisted minds see predudice everywhere and exploit it under the racist banner!!

please dont also fall into this racist rubbish regarding immigrants that seem to be the fore at the moment ,you cannot be racist if you say "halt immigration" because ofcourse there all different races or backgrounds.

i could be deemed racist if i say "stop all kosovans" but being called racist if you dont like immigration is bunkam your just anti immigration which is perfectly ok and perfectly valid wherever you are in the world.

i may be splitting hairs but being labled a racist for a perfectly justifyable general statement or comment really pisses me off ,if i/you wanted to be racist i'm sure you can be more specific to the thing your reffering too.

:rolleyes:

to point out the difficulty of racism, in the past the french have been mentioned in very derogatory ways on here ,shouts of racism NOT a wisper ,substitute pakistani for french and deletions would swiftly follow ,racism is in the mind of the narrow minded ;)

its madness if because you happen to dislike someone because they are a different colour or race to you ,i CAN dislike a white person with no problems but if i dislike a pakistani (for instance) RACIST comes forth ,in reality i dislike the "person" not the whole damn race they happen to be from :angry:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Firstly let me say ANYBODY who shouts racism is RACIST!!!!!

I grew up in South Africa and ran a business which crossed all divides.

I was so sick and tired of the B.O.S.S. calling on me every weekend to tell me I cannot have a multiracial party, but when I explained they were CLIENTS, it was O.K.

I see people.

I dont see colours.

If I can communicate with them, OK.

So what is the problem?

People screaming "the poor coloureds" They make me cross!!!

WHAT COLOUREDS????????

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

there seems to be a lot of confusion about the basic realities out there about ANYTHING thats said about ANYONE different to the person that makes a remark!

Racism only exists if the person refers to a race I.E indians ,welsh ,scots etc

you cannot be called racist if you refer to a person! alone.

you can be colour predudice if you point out a persons colour in a derogatory way.

you can be religeonist (or whatever the word is) if you make fun of a persons religeon.

clumping everything said about everything anti anyone as a racist view is rubbish .

making remarks about moslems,jews or christians etc CANNOT be racist (although this is debateable in jewish circles) as religeon is something you can choose to join or leave ,anyone can be a moslem or christian or buddist if they please it isnt defined by place of birth or colour of skin or region on the map.

colour predudice is even harder to clump with racism a black person could hate whites or asians or martians but still it cannot be racism because of course colour isnt defined by borders on the map and ofcourse he would have to hate ALL of them which is impossible having never met/seen/heard all of them.

racism really hardly exists because ofcourse its in the mind ,make a joke about a thick irishman or a tight scotsman your not being racist in the slightest ,99% of people listening to you know your not being racist but telling a joke .stereotyping i suspect is only in the minds of the feeble minded just as tribalism is and more of an excuse than a reason to justify things which can look to the outsider as racism but is just blind hate and can encompass anything (football is a good example)

P.C comes from those r-soles that see life through a fog of black and white and are probably brain damaged in some way (or making money pointing out things that most people dont see)

the most racist ,colour predudice anti religeon lot out there are our P.C Guru's that seem to run our lives ,their twisted minds see predudice everywhere and exploit it under the racist banner!!

please dont also fall into this racist rubbish regarding immigrants that seem to be the fore at the moment ,you cannot be racist if you say "halt immigration" because ofcourse there all different races or backgrounds.

i could be deemed racist if i say "stop all kosovans" but being called racist if you dont like immigration is bunkam your just anti immigration which is perfectly ok and perfectly valid wherever you are in the world.

i may be splitting hairs but being labled a racist for a perfectly justifyable general statement or comment really pisses me off ,if i/you wanted to be racist i'm sure you can be more specific to the thing your reffering too.

:rolleyes:

to point out the difficulty of racism, in the past the french have been mentioned in very derogatory ways on here ,shouts of racism NOT a wisper ,substitute pakistani for french and deletions would swiftly follow ,racism is in the mind of the narrow minded ;)

its madness if because you happen to dislike someone because they are a different colour or race to you ,i CAN dislike a white person with no problems but if i dislike a pakistani (for instance) RACIST comes forth ,in reality i dislike the "person" not the whole damn race they happen to be from :angry:

That's exactly my own thoughts, but there is no way on earth I would type that amount to get my point across...........so thanks for doing if for me Chesters. :thumbs:

I find it laughable that we have scots from scotland, swedes from sweden, poles from poland, japs from japan etc and it is perfectly acceptable, have pakis from pakistan and you suddenly become a swastika tattooed nazi skinhead. :o